Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Andrew's 01-16 UPDATE: New floral, iMountain, iScreamin, and I get pwnd!!

Making my 1000TH POST count, I've decided to bring you a HUGE photo update!

Got away from school early today, and headed over to do a more comprehensive photo update than my last few. If you’re looking for those, check out my signature. I keep it updated, and haven’t taken the older images offline.

This one’s a long one… so HAVE FUN!

But on to today!

First off, it’s 2:00 and they’re JUST getting to Goofy. It’s got to be dead in there. I also saw them funneling in from Timon lot, so that was everyone who was there.
    Suffice it to say that there’s NO ONE at the tram stop. The trams notice it too. We can eavesdrop if you want.

You know what? There’s no one here.

The main purpose of my visit was to try my own version of the iMountain concept. That is, can Rockin’ be improved with the original scores? Can it be replaced altogether?
    My shuffle sees it as a challenge.

YA RLY!!!1

Someone needs to tell Disney’s legal team that the Jolly Trolly doesn’t even run anymore!

Though, Timon has a short tail about that time he met a Jolly Trolly.
    Get it?

California Adventure has won the toss, and they elect to receive.

Good choice, DCA… I’m worth it. That’s what L’Oreal ads tell me.

I spotted a group of PhotoPass Cast Members getting trained… or something.

And NONE of them asked to take my picture. Or my iPod’s picture. OR Skippy’s picture.

The splooshy fountain of California-ness is operating again, now that Santa’s Beach Bash is gone.

I am also a source of joy and inspiration.

The “snow/sand” has gone, and in its place is this…

BOTANICAL PICTURE!

We flowers also try to inspire.

And then it was over to Rockin’ California Screamin’. This was going to be my first time. I had heard, of course, mixed reviews, and was eager to see what would happen.

If you look reeeeeeeeeeally closely, you can see a “Rockin’” sign.

On the way, I noticed that the signs still say “you may get wet!” If you don’t already know, this is a carry over from when the “wave machine” was supposed to produce this cool effect where a wave of water would appear to launch the cars. Unfortunately, this never really worked, or worked for awhile, but was unreliable.
    Newer additions to make up for it include the misters that cool off the LIMs, and the launch countdown.

Don’t listen to Andrew… you WILL get wet! I will soak you, and you shall be miserable for the rest of the day! MWAHAHAHAHAHAaa!

Green was chillin’. Dayum… that is a SWEET train you might say… LONG! Alright.

Put me in coach; I’ll make you proud!

Intamins have some funky brakes. I’ve never heard of side fins before.

CLEARLY you’ve never been to Singapore.

ANDREW’S OFFICIAL SCREAMIN’ REVIEW OF DOOM!

… why?
    Why did they need the Rockin’ overlay here?
    It doesn’t make sense. The only thing that’s been changed for this is the soundtrack, with no “high-tech” effects or anything like that. No lighting. Just new music.
    And who chose a slow song like “Around the World?”
    Any illusion of speed that the music can add to the ride was gone in a flash, as the Chili Peppers lazily crooned their tune. In fact, it seemed to slow the ride down.
    Now, the good news is that they’ve been forced to deal with Screamin’s malfunctioning speaker system, which is pathetic during normal operation. One can only hope when the old show returns that Dick Dale’s rockin (actually ROCKING, not just “Rockin’”) soundtrack returns to its former glory.
    But the Chili Peppers seriously had no place in this ride. I was thinking the whole time how calm and comforting the song was… and I felt like I was driving along the freeway with the radio on. No thrills.
    Disappointing, to say the least.

That said, I made my attempt at iScreamin’, to see if I could recapture the fun of the ride.

THAT works!
    The bad part? You have to CRANK your iPod to get it to drown out the Chili Peppers. That leads sore ears at the end of the ride, so I would not recommend it for everyday operation.
    But the ride is SO MUCH better with Dick Dale.
    If the soundtrack doesn’t work in the future… this is how I’ll fix it.
    Here’s me happy at my iPod.

Hey! The Screamin’ speakers work! … wait…

The dedication. Moving on.

Ohhhkay…

And now it’s over to the Hollywood Tower Hotel of Terror … ness.
    Since I’ve never gotten this shot before…
    Someone photoshop those people out of there.

If you put on these special 5D glasses, you can see the old elevator shafts.

I like this shot.

Hey babe, let’s take it to another dimension.
    The 5th.

Ignore the stupid look on my face. I took this shot to show that ToT is using DCA’s original logo. Interesting.

No! Will ya STOP making fun of my face?

El Capitan’s Marquee has FINALLY changed from CARS.

Lol todayland.

It was time to cross the esplanade *gets shot with an arrow* I… mean… Entrance…Plaza™…
    Mickey is getting replanted. No doubt he will be blinged out in blue and silver flowers. Are there even such things?

I know MY dream is to have a gigantic floral mural of my face up for the world to see.

Artsy fartsy.

I call it: “Shadow cast by the sun through that big tree to the left as it falls on the construction wall that hides the floral planter of happy inspiration… an impression.”

I then hitched a ride on the fire engine, following in the footsteps of fellow photographer SAM in his recent report. Thus, my Main Street collection today consists of ACTION SHOTS!
    (thus I will be talking quickly. Try to keep up!)

Here’sawackysolarpanelupintheplaza.Yourguessisasgo odasmine.

Dude. Someone PhotoShop George Foreman grilling on that thing. Go.

Fireman slowed down!
    The Plaza light posts are getting sanded now.

Whee! Yay action shots!

Complete post, but the top is still getting painted. There are very few of the light posts with their gas power right now… two I think.

Seriously, Darkbeer, I’m having a hard enough time here. How do you even DO this for Screamin?

New planters by the French Fries of Tomorrow. Do you really install flowers?

Don’t forget: it’s all edible. But don’t eat it.

Well rock my rockin socks! It’s time to rock a rocket to the rock-osphere on Rockin’ (Spacelol) Mountain!
    I actually turned this into iMountain.
    I again faced the problem with having to crank the volume to drown out the KLOS guy and the Chili Peppers, but the soundtrack, once again, syncs beautifully. Only problem is the re-entry. There is more on the soundtrack than there is on the ride, so it’s a little off.

Now here’s the thing with Space: it’s not the song that’s the problem (as it is on Screamin) but the show. So I can live with “Higher Ground,” even if it isn’t the best fit. It’s a good song. The lighting is what kills Space.
    Here’s me with my iPod… not Rockin’.

Now THAT’S a dorky smile!

Had a long wait on the Matterhorn, as they were only running one side. Thankfully it was the Tomorrowland side.

Someone love us! We’ve been abandoned!

Someone’s about to have a jolly holiday with Mary (and a penguin, of course) on the Carrousel. The little girl with whom Mary was waiting looked thrilled.

Sorry about the blur. Long zoom+low light=eek.

Dumbo is most definitely down for refurbishment.

There’s something missing… I just can’t put my finger on it…

These guys came out and stared me (and some sweepers) down. They won the contest.

And then they sneezed. Have you ever heard a turkey sneeze? It’s the weirdest thing!

Over on Thunder, someone’s lost their AP.

Either that, or they’ve donated it to United Way. It’ll just take awhile to get there.

Over at the Mansion, the exterior has been restored to its normal, creepily manicured self.

I get my manicuring advice from Tim Gunn… all I’m missing is a Banana Republic suit.

Jack’s actually lying under a tarp to the right of the frame in this photo. He’s behind the fence, though.

Also, focus zones are hard to master. Look at this.

A little low on light, but here’s that mysterious construction area. I think it’s just ADA work.

That, or they’ve added a… oh nevermind. That one’s SO last anniversary.

Here’s the Twain in drydock, for its periodic refurbishment.

I am lonely in here. Someone come hug me.

Oh… well… just “dock” then.

Just a little dry humor there.

Alas, it’s time to say goodbye to Splash Mountain. I will not be to the park before it goes down for its epic refurbishment.

Or… here’s the deal: we start BUMPIN’ Splash Mountain. Take the Zip-a-dee-do-dah rap from Disneyland Fun and have all the geese just pumpin’ it out, yo.

So down I go on my last trip down the hill before the refurb.

Dry humor indeed…

Throughout, I’d been commenting to the ride on the things its needed done to it so badly. I mentioned the out of sync and dirty AAs, the faded paint, the malfunctioning pump, the REALLY SCARY slip my log took at the top of the lift, and just commenting that it was in really sorry shape and definitely was showing how bad it had—

SPLOOSH!!!
    … have you ever seen a wall of water rise up in front of you, wink at you and laugh evilly before it soaks you? Cause I have.

OWNED!!

Good GOD am I soaked!

Moral of the story: don’t insult Splash Mountain.

I took one last ride on Space Mountain Exposed before heading home.

Le Sigh.

Ohhhh kay!
    That was certainly a LONG update.
    I hope you all had a great time reading it, as I had a great (long) time putting these things together. Please, let me know how I’m doing through your comments.
    Questions? Requests? Ravings on how not funny I am? Just let me know!

Enjoy!

Last edited by mrfantasmic; 01-17-2007 at 12:28 AM.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Re: Andrew's 01-16 UPDATE: New floral, iMountain, iScreamin, and I get pwnd!!

Great pics!!! looks like you blocked out the people sitting behind you on Splash

wow the new green on the lamp post are going to make the parade light poles look ugly. lol
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• :)

Quote Originally Posted by nemofinder22 View Post
    Great pics!!! looks like you blocked out the people sitting behind you on Splash
    haha is this some type of goal? I hate when this happens it always happens to me!! haha but i find that funny, someway that you put a smile at the end of that remark..hm.

• rockin butter sponge!

omigosh, that was EXHAUSTING just to read. I think the park looks creepy empty.. i think i kinda like the crowds,,, weird i know. Great report!

This is the only time in Disneyland history where the costumed furry characters are HAPPY to be bundled up!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

rofl, so much fun to read!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Senior Minion

That was fun Andrew thanks for the play-by-play.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Defying gravity

Nice update. I've never noticed that DCA dedication sign before. Where is it exactly?

• World Traveler

Great shots! I've tried to take pics of the after ride screens, but they always come out blurry for me

• living to haunt

Thumbs up Re: Andrew's 01-16 UPDATE: New floral, iMountain, iScreamin, and I get pwnd!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Making my 1000TH POST count, I've decided to bring you a HUGE photo update!

I like this shot.

THIS IS A GREAT SHOT!!! CREEPY LOOKING!!!

I call it: “Shadow cast by the sun through that big tree to the left as it falls on the construction wall that hides the floral planter of happy inspiration… an impression.”

NOW JUST THINK, YOU HAVE TRAVELED ACROSS THE WORLD FOR A PICTURE IN FRONT OF THAT MOUSE FLOWER BED AND ALL YOU GET IS BOARDS. I BET SOME VISITORS ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT.

Good GOD am I soaked!

Moral of the story: don’t insult Splash Mountain.

DON'T MESS WITH THE MOUSE IT ALWAYS GETS EVEN. HOW COLD WAS IT????
    What a great photo trip. I love the action photo sequence. I wish I lived closer. Thanks for the fun! Hint...next time bring a towel if you are going to mess with the mouse.

so this is by far the most entertaining read. You are hilarious. I liked it so much I had to visit all the other trip reports!!!

• Beep Beep!

Fun update, thanks for sharing!
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Awesome stuff Andrew. Love the little quotes on the bottom of the pics.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Others may coo and fawn over their Canon Rebel XG-IV cameras with wide angle, polyzigomatic, infrared lenses but...

Behold the POWER of the KODAK EASYSHARE!

In the right hands, it can cut through a dull morning like a greased razor and rain hilarity down upon an unsuspecting populace!

Loved the pictures and the comments were priceless (which is exactly what I paid for them)!

Thanks and keep up the good work!
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

• For You!

I thoroughly enjoyed that!! You took great pictures - and I love that you went to DCA and didn't tear it down or rip on every little thing!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Beer is good beer.

Thumbs up Re: Andrew's 01-16 UPDATE: New floral, iMountain, iScreamin, and I get pwnd!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Over on Thunder, someone’s lost their AP.

Either that, or they’ve donated it to United Way. It’ll just take awhile to get there.
    Great pictures and clever captions - I loved it! Thanks for sharing.
    M A S E C A !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast