Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Keep Moving Forward

Cinderella Dark Ride?

I was just reading about Cinderella III (don't get me started on the DTV sequels, but that's another thread...), and was wondering if anyone else thought Disneyland should add a great Cinderella dark ride. I think it would make a great addition to Fantasyland and the story could be told rather well as it is simple enough. There could be some really great 'magic' done with the Fairy God Mother and the mice, etc.

Thoughts?

(And let's try not get caught up as to "Where it would go" and then turn the thread into "Let's tear out ___" or "You CAN'T remove ___"... thanks.)
    U S E Y O U R I M A G I N A T I O N

Member/Founder of the SSC (Small Signature Club).

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Cinderella Dark Ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Imaginerd View Post
    (And let's try not get caught up as to "Where it would go" and then turn the thread into "Let's tear out ___" or "You CAN'T remove ___"... thanks.)
    Well, it does have to go somewhere doesn' it?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Tear out Sleeping Beauty's Cottage and build a real castle

• Minion

Yes! If you get away from a literal stagey ride thru of the film, "Cinderella" it could be a really interesting experience...

My idea is to have you experience the climax of the film - - transformed by Fairy Godmother to mouse size, with everything seen from a mouse point-of-view. You travel with Jaq and Gus to steal the key from Stepmother's pocket and carry it up the stairs to free Cinderella in time to fit the slipper - - but watch out for Lucifer! - - and some long drops from that treacherous attic climb!

None of the classics need go.

Build Cinderella's chateau on the hill where the Skyway building is now and the show building behind. Or make it part of a Fantasyland II area in the place of Videopolis/Fantasyland Theatre.

• Comin' at ya!

I wanna get started on DTV sequels because they DRIVE ME NUTS!
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Regardless of placement, IMO Cinderella (as a story) suffers from the lack of a good villain (Wicked Stepmother...I dunno). How great a "Fairy Tale" themed ride could one have without a great protagonist? I suppose I'm biased against Cinderella, since I thought the story to have a weaker climax. I would have always loved to have seen a 101 Dalmatians ride; but that's me--I love Cruella...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Near Dumbo! and I actually like CIII it looks good!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    Tear out Sleeping Beauty's Cottage and build a real castle
    Blasphemy. Leave Aurora alone. She deserves at least some credit. All of the other princesses seem to hog all of the limelight. If anything, make the castle bigger, but that's not physically possible.

Cinderella's story doesn't work for a dark ride I think. There has to be a dramatic and scary climax...the climax of Cinderella is when she's locked up in a room and the mice have to carry the key up the stairs. Visually for a movie, it works...for a ride, not so much IMO. Look at the other dark rides...Alice has to run away from the evil Queen and the cards...Toad crashes into a train...Peter fights Captain Hook...etc. etc.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post

My idea is to have you experience the climax of the film - - transformed by Fairy Godmother to mouse size, with everything seen from a mouse point-of-view. You travel with Jaq and Gus to steal the key from Stepmother's pocket and carry it up the stairs to free Cinderella in time to fit the slipper - - but watch out for Lucifer! - - and some long drops from that treacherous attic climb!
    I like the mouse thing, though...

• Minion

>>Cinderella's story doesn't work for a dark ride I think. There has to be a dramatic and scary climax...the climax of Cinderella is when she's locked up in a room and the mice have to carry the key up the stairs. Visually for a movie, it works...for a ride, not so much IMO.<<

If you are mouse sized, seeing things through oversized peep holes and props, that climax becomes very exciting indeed.

• Hooterville, USA

If they can make Winnie the Poop into a ride, Cinderella would be a no brainer.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Disney has all sorts of great intellectual property that is begging to be adapted into the attraction medium, and "Cinderella" is certainly among them.

That fact makes one wonder the reason that the company feels the need to duplicate attractions around the world ad nauseum.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

What about an overlay? The ballroom in the Haunted Mansion would serve perfectly for the ballroom scene in Cinderella.

Cinderella Haunted Mansion Holiday!

• Minion

Other movie-based Fantasyland II rides that beg to happen:

Sleeping Beauty (the climax - escape from Maleficent's dungeon with Phillip and fight the goons, the forest of thorns and a fire-breathing dragon to wake the Princess - - it doesn't get better than that for a ride)

The Little Mermaid (see the DVD)

Aladdin (flying carpet ride through the Cave of Wonders to free the genie from his lamp - - simulator like at DisneyQuest or ride-thru)

On diagrams/schematics, one can see that Walt had intended Sleeping Beauty, Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Mary Poppins and Babes in Toyland to substitute for Snow White, Toad, Peter Pan and Alice in the original plans for WDW - - all would be cool dark rides.

As Merlin said, Cinderella isnt bad, but there are much more deserving movies to make the transition to ride.

I could even see a really cool Black Couldron flume ride. I know the movie wasn't a huge sucess, but I think a good attraction can overshadow the film it's derrived from. It would also add another where you can get wet inside the park. Aside from Splash on the other end of the park, there isn't a lot of "cool off" rides for the summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast