Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• the rum is always gone

The New Sub Cave

Just a quick question...

Does anyone know why the new addition to the sub cave (the part that goes out into the lagoon) has a smooth roof instead of a (fake) rock one. Granted, I know that it cannot be seen from the ground, but up on the monorail, you can clearly see that the roof is smooth. Why is this? Is water going to be pouring down over the entire sub cave? Or did Disney do this to save a few bucks?

Also, is the new sub cave going to have a waterfall over the opening like the old ones? Or is it going to just be open?

Does anyone know?

• Comin' at ya!

Re: The New Sub Cave

they could be adding roughness later
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

yes there will be a waterfall.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Shredder

If they haven't put on a suitable roof on it by now then it sounds like they're just savin' a few bucks but alot of stuff had crappy roofs on them when the skyway was around so I guess Disney didn't bother with it now.

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

I saw the picture and could tell the difference in the roof texture, and I'm almost certain there will be a waterfall there.
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• Collision speed....FULL!

The roof is going to be covered with water. There are smooth areas and rugged rocks on the top like the rest of the buidling. The water needs a smooth path to flow well. It looks like in addition to having the waterfall at the front (where the Sub goes through) the water is also going to have smaller waterfalls on the sides of the building. I bet Darkbeer has a photo that will illustrate the roof.

• Banned User

If you look at the old show building, it is built the same way. I can picture the waterfall on the new building looking more authentic seeing how it looks like it will gently flow down the side of the rocks.

• Banned User

I was getting worried but if it's going to be filled with water that might make it a little better.

So far it looks out of place, but maybe because it's new. I'm still 50/50 on how this thing is going to turn out.

The roof of the cave has a sandy look to it. It is not just plain cement.

The waterfall will come down over the entrance as well as down some of the areas facing the queue

• Who's your DaddyB?

http://www.visionsfantastic.org/dadd..._16_Update.htm

I have a couple pictures in my latest photo update. Looks to me almost like there's going to be a geyser or something up there by the monorail tracks (pure conjecture on my part)... and almost definitely a waterfall over the exit to the extended cave.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• ...TWO BITS!

I also noticed the sandy roof. I would think either they'll leave it sandy with the waterfall still going off the sides and entrance of the cave. Or like some already said, the sandy roof will have water and so on and so forth.

I highly doubt it's to save money. They also have to theme the area that's facing Autopia, which supports the sandy beach look theory.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by daddyb View Post
    http://www.visionsfantastic.org/dadd..._16_Update.htm

I have a couple pictures in my latest photo update. Looks to me almost like there's going to be a geyser or something up there by the monorail tracks (pure conjecture on my part)... and almost definitely a waterfall over the exit to the extended cave.
    Love your pictures! I am glad that you commented on the color inside the sub lagoon. I saw that also on DarkBeer's pics and was hoping to see more. Looks like it is going to be a great ride! I can't wait.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I noticed this too when I was there last weekend. My first thought was that it looked kind of fake, but then I remembered one of the beaches near where I live. If you are a local you can check it out too.

Big Corona is located from Disneyland, south on PCH. Turn right on Marguerite, and then make another right on Ocean Ave. Park anywhere and to your left you will see a park called Inspiration Point which is on top of a bluff that overlooks the entrance to Newport Harbor (a little bit of trivia -- this is the namesake of Harbor Blvd.) Go through this park and down a set of stairs built into the bluff. Ahead of you will see a huge rocky hill composed of sandstone boulders which you can climb on and over to get down to the beach. To the right of this hill is access to Pirate's Cove and straight ahead is access to Big Corona Beach.

The tops of these rocks have been worn down so much from people doing this for decades that these areas have been worn down into smooth, sandy strectches and are not at all rocky and look a lot like the roof of the new rock cave on the sub ride.

Now it is likely that it is going to be a waterfall but if they don't do that, or if we have a dry year like we have had so far and decide not to turn it on, that's ok because even without water to me it still looks natural.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

correct me if I'm wrong , but isn't the "smooth" building the Handicapped viewing area?

and on another note DADDY-B glad to see your back

My Maleficent tattoo

you know that "Roadway" you mentioned? Well... That happens to be an emergency exit
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast