Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• living to haunt

Sad Does Disney Think...

I am looking at all the photo journeys that darkbeer and others have posted on the list and it made me think. Does Disney think about the tourist who saves for years, flys for hours, and plans to the minute? It doesn't look like it. In the last two picture posts I have seen the Castle and the Flower Garden Mickey Mouse at the front of the park are both, at the same time, blocked off by walls and curtains. Now when you see someone taking there first picture of the park where is it? Either in front of the flower Mickey or in front of the Castle. Now both are covered.

For the AP's that is no big thing you can go back, for us who only live 9 hours away we have those shots, but the poor guy who drags his family out from the snow back east to see Disneyland the first time and those two shots are not possible...

When you make your travel plans do they tell you that 1/2 the rides are down for that time, or that most of the park is in tarps? Do you pay less for your ticket?

So does Disney think?

• Loves Fajita!

Re: Does Disney Think...

To some degree I would have to say yes. As sad as it would be to have both of these under refurb at a time I was traveling there, they are doing it at a very slow time of the year where there would be less people making that once in a lifetime trip. If they were doing it on any holiday weekend or during the summer I would completely agree. There are so many rides that have been clearly scheduled to be down at some point during January (right after the holiday) that its not a time I would have chose for a trip anyway. At the same time I dont think they should have done both together, for those that are traveling this week.

they gotta do what they gotta do

• For You!

They do have a calendar on disneyland.com for the ride refurbs - but, they don't list what's going to be covered up or painted such as the floral or castle.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    They do have a calendar on disneyland.com for the ride refurbs - but, they don't list what's going to be covered up or painted such as the floral or castle.
    Yes, all the scheduled refurbishments should be listed so that guests can form more accurate expectations.

If Disney would make its construction walls truly a part of the show, then guests might not even notice that they are missing something. There is a way for Disney to handle its refurbishments better.

I'd like to see temporary stages erected near the construction sites so that guests would be given character interactions and miniature shows that would distract those guests from whatever attraction or other feature is closed. Some props and other stage dressing would help, too.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

*For the record--this is not directed at the OP* Complaints that Disneyland is neglecting Maintenance, then complaints when Disney actually does the maintenance (and is forced to temporarily close the attraction)--and most of the time, these closures are posted on the website well in advance. I mean, c'mon?!
    Can't win for losin', I suppose!

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Yes, all the scheduled refurbishments should be listed so that guests can form more accurate expectations.

If Disney would make its construction walls truly a part of the show, then guests might not even notice that they are missing something. There is a way for Disney to handle its refurbishments better.

I'd like to see temporary stages erected near the construction sites so that guests would be given character interactions and miniature shows that would distract those guests from whatever attraction or other feature is closed. Some props and other stage dressing would help, too.
    What a great idea! right now in front the the floral Mickey could be the playing cards from Painting the Roses Red in Alice. You are so right that a little guest interaction would make the walls and tarps vanish.

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    *For the record--this is not directed at the OP* Complaints that Disneyland is neglecting Maintenance, then complaints when Disney actually does the maintenance (and is forced to temporarily close the attraction)--and most of the time, these closures are posted on the website well in advance. I mean, c'mon?!
    I maybe should have worded it better but what I was saying is that doing both major picture points at one time is really harsh. I understand that they have to do clean up and maintenance but both locations at the same time. Maybe a sign up saying something about another great photo spot in Disneyland is.... and a sign to that spot.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by ladydragon55 View Post
    I maybe should have worded it better but what I was saying is that doing both major picture points at one time is really harsh. I understand that they have to do clean up and maintenance but both locations at the same time. Maybe a sign up saying something about another great photo spot in Disneyland is.... and a sign to that spot.
    In my opinion, the is no shortage of photo ops in Disneyland to take your picture in front of. If you want a photo of the castle, and it's obscured by scaffolding or whatnot, buy one. I guess I just don't see the issue here, and wonder if anyone's vacation was affected greatly by the inability to photograph the castle sans obstructions, that's all.

In my opinion, the is no shortage of photo ops in Disneyland to take your picture in front of. If you want a photo of the castle, and it's obscured by scaffolding or whatnot, buy one. I guess I just don't see the issue here, and wonder if anyone's vacation was affected greatly by the inability to photograph the castle sans obstructions, that's all.
    Well, Main Street Station, with its "Mickey Floral" parterre, is the most photographed place on Earth, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sleeping Beauty Castle is the second most. So, clearly, taking pictures of these two locations is a pretty important part of the Disneyland experience. The company really should have been more careful to not have both of these features obscured at the same time. I'm sure that unfortunate oversight had the potential to make the guests visiting that day feel as if they are not very important.

• Hooterville, USA

I agree. They could use their head a little better when considering the off season.

A lot of people target this time to get the best rates and it's not fair to have so many attractions down at the same time, but charge the same prices as the summer months.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Senior Minion

I would have to echo the same sentiments. Refurbishments need to be done, unless one wants the park to go into disrepair just to keep the environment looking pretty.

It is also the off season when there are less people in the park, and the ride closures are announced on their website (which I wish would go down for "refurbishment").

•   

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Well, Main Street Station, with its "Mickey Floral" parterre, is the most photographed place on Earth, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sleeping Beauty Castle is the second most. So, clearly, taking pictures of these two locations is a pretty important part of the Disneyland experience. The company really should have been more careful to not have both of these features obscured at the same time. I'm sure that unfortunate oversight had the potential to make the guests visiting that day feel as if they are not very important.
    With the freezes we have been having in CA, I would imagine the flowers are suffering. Since Disney, as of yet, does not control the weather, this unfortunate timing of the front landscaping closure may be unavoidable.

• We wants the Redhead

I went to Disneyland in August 04. It was my first time in 5 years, and my son's (4 at the time) first trip. We were waiting to get AP's until after the baby was born. So, we paid money for the tickets, did all our meals there, the whole thing. I was 9 months pregnant with #2, so I could not go on my favorite rides. The one thing I really wanted was a picture in front of the castle with me and my big belly... Needless to say I was very disappointed to see the castle covered up in preparation for the 50th Anniversary. It was necessary, but nerveless I was very disappointed. I can see how very disappointing it would be for people traveling out of state, spending a lot of money, and having the castle covered up. At least for me I was able to get my castle picture (minus the big belly..lol), since I have an AP.

My sons first castle picture...lol.
    Janet
    John 3:16

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yeah, there are a lot of walls up in prominent places,
    and even though it is the "slow" season, right now,
    it does seem inexcusable that BOTH the entire floral
    Mickey/Train Station and the front of the Castle are
    walled up. And WHAT is up, with the Floral Mickey
    being walled off???????? Except for the special 50th
    display, they haven't had to wall it off.

Speaking of some of the floral displays throughout the
    parks, what is the deal with these signs in empty flower
    beds saying "they are working on a new display". Until
    just recently, they were able to replant the flower beds
    overnight, instead of just taking the flowers out and saying
    that's enough for tonight, just leave the dirt there with a
    sign. BAD SHOW!

One other comment about these construction walls. At
    one point, any construction wall anywhere in DL was just
    a generic type wall. BUT, about the time Matt Ouimet came
    to DL, just before the 50th, Major refurbishment was going on
    Main Street, BUT the Construction Walls were themed to Main
    Street! I really couldn't believe it, even the lighting on the temp
    walls tried to blend in with the land. For a while, Frontierland
    had a wall around the Rivers of America, and they use a more
    rustic look for the walls. And though they were still construction
    walls, they at least TRIED to blend in with the Land. The Sub
    Lagoon has more of the traditional Temp walls, but at least they
    were paint painted blue, and have some of the Nemo characters
    on the Walls hinting what is to come.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTT
    LOOK AT THOSE Construction walls in front of the Castle. NO
    ATTEMPT was made to have those Temporary walls look like they
    belong in front of the Castle. Those temp walls looked good in
    Frontierland, BUT they look disgraceful in front of the castle!!!
    Looks like the NEW management is trying to take some shortcuts
    in the the show at DL, and THAT is a BAD show for the new
    management. Certainly Ed Grier knows what is going on in his
    parks, and this reflects his sloppy attitude of what should be
    considered acceptable. I'm hoping he'll snap out of it. But
    I'm not holding my breath, I'm letting the blame fall where it
    should.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast