Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Toy Story Mania

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Toy Story Mania

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    So many of us keep giving Disney the benefit of the doubt, but Disneyland doesn't deserve it.

The people who have been in charge of making these changes over the last thirteen years are just incompetent. They lack the creativity and wisdom of their predecessors, and they continue serving these table scraps: cheap and ill-conceived dark rides glorified by gimmicky technology and "overlaid" with random characters and meaningless "stories" that are all designed to advertise the plush being sold at the exits.

I think several annual-passport holders would enjoy the place more if they let their annual passports lapse in order to wait for Disney to actually add something decent. Perhaps, if enough people did so, the company would try to rebuild the Imagineering organization by filling it with the truly talented people, again.
    I agree, at this point Disney doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt. In regards to new attractions, Disney has continuously pumped out mediocre, mildly-entertaining, and quickly forgettable attractions. The only place where they've succeeded was in the enhancements of the classics: Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain (not Rockin'), Haunted Mansion, and even Pirates of the Caribbean.

While I agree that maybe if Annual Passholders began a Do-Not-Renew Campaign Disney would probably be forced to make some changes, I don't think Annual Passholders will do anything of the sort.

I know my willpower to refuse the park is weak, or rather, nonexistant.
    The most productive thing most of us can do is give Disney honest reviews of new additions, take photos of new additions, note the positives as well as the negatives, and don't sugarcoat anything.

The problem is that Disney fans in general are all far too forgiving. When people attack Al Lutz for talking about underthemed or tacky additions, or you for noting the lack of imagination in current offerings, its clear that Disney has become much like the republican party - tricking its followers to believe they can do no wrong.

But there are those who resist and what we can do is continue to give Disney scathing reviews when necessary to let them know that they're giving us sub-par, or give them positive reviews when they've done something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    It's only a concept, nothing concrete or official. I also think imagineers always deserve a chance to prove us wrong with these projects and so far they have impressed me with all the recent Disneyland changes.
    The Imagineers have recently failed in proving us wrong. Tomorrowland'98 was the beginning of their falter, and they've only continued to stumble since with the Rocket Rods, DCA, "a bugs land," The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh,fun-but-still-cheap darkrides like Buzz Lightyear and Monsters Inc, and most recently Rockin' Both Parks (or as they like to call it - "Space Mountain Revealed")

They've only done well in the handfull of classic updates with Jungle, HM, POTC, and Space.

•   

I think the drawing itself looks booty.
    Again, we don't know exactly what it is though. I'll wait to judge until we find out exactly what it is.
    I just hope it's not what we all fear..........................

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    So many of us keep giving Disney the benefit of the doubt, but Disneyland doesn't deserve it.

The people who have been in charge of making these changes over the last thirteen years are just incompetent. They lack the creativity and wisdom of their predecessors, and they continue serving these table scraps: cheap and ill-conceived dark rides glorified by gimmicky technology and "overlaid" with random characters and meaningless "stories" that are all designed to advertise the plush being sold at the exits.

I don't think their incompetent. Yes there were some bad decisions made, but people make it seem like Disney is making one bad decision after another. I don't think they have. I think they have done a good job trying new things, etc. I do agree that Tomorrowland, Winnie the Pooh, etc. were very bad. But as of late, the imagineers have always blown me away.

But regardless of their bad decisions, I think they always deserve the benefit of a doubt. In my opinion They still make magic, they still make people happy, and I am very interested in their future projects. I remember hating the fact that they were going to change up POTC, but I gave them a chance and they blew me away.

Right now, I am very excited about the subs returning.

I'll judge the ride after it's made and I ride it though .

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeek View Post
    I still don't quite understand the x-ray vision thing they were planning though based on this peice of art.
    Have a look at the picture next to it, the Monsters Inc guys are holding "flashlights" I think that's where the illuminated projection patent comes in.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    [/I]

I don't think their incompetent. Yes there were some bad decisions made, but people make it seem like Disney is making one bad decision after another. I don't think they have. I think they have done a good job trying new things, etc. I do agree that Tomorrowland, Winnie the Pooh, etc. were very bad. But as of late, the imagineers have always blown me away.

But regardless of their bad decisions, I think they always deserve the benefit of a doubt. In my opinion They still make magic, they still make people happy, and I am very interested in their future projects. I remember hating the fact that they were going to change up POTC, but I gave them a chance and they blew me away.

Right now, I am very excited about the subs returning.

I'll judge the ride after it's made and I ride it though .

What have they blown you away with?

Rockin' Space Mountain? I hope not.

If it's been the updates to Pirates, Jungle, Haunted Mansion, and Space Mountain, then fine, I agree, those additions were nice. But in the grand scope of things, those are very small drops in a very large bucket.

You should only give people the benefit of the doubt when they have one or two minor stumbles in a history of successes. As of late, Imagineering's history has been more stumbles than successes, and as far as I'm concerned, they hardly deserve the benefit of the doubt right now.

In comparison with recent full-sized attractions like Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, 90% of DCA, Mosnters Inc, and A Bug's Land, those minor updates hardly give Imagineering any credibility in my opinion, and any benefit of the doubt they may have recieved from me is thrown out the window.

Until I'm amazed again by an attraction and dying to go back on it again after waiting in opening-day lines for it for 3 hours, then, and only then will Imagineering regain the benefit of the doubt so many of you are freely giving them.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 01-18-2007 at 03:23 PM.

• ...TWO BITS!

I remember long ago when Midway or before Midway was rumored, me or some other reader thought of using bumper cars as ride vehicles. I just did a little research, bumper cars had its heyday between 1920-1950s... And the "guns" you'd have in the vehicle would be (I guess like what they're doing now, are the water guns and throwing balls at the midway games). And completely movie-tie in free

But given the clue that Disney wants the vehicles to have back-to-back seats, I would say it'd be impossible to have for a bumper car design...

Just thought that was a little more interesting than sitting in a spinning box like in the concept art

EDIT: Wouldn't this have made a nice sign and vehicle design for Midway. Minus the big wheels on the bottom for the 2nd pic ?

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Bumper...s_i994914_.htm
    http://www.mustbeart.com/photo/2002-.../img_0282.html
    http://www.chernobyl.in.ua/en/ghost_town/21
    http://scribble.com/ridetheory/bcarcopy.gif
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 01-18-2007 at 03:44 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think it's a bit much to attack soley the Imagineers for the flaws in their recent endevours. I find it a bit hard to believe that the same people who succeed in Japan, all of a sudden become incompetent outside of Japan.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ True. It's more about the budget, managers, pencil pushers, bean counters, lawyers, what else? Imagineers do their best with what they have underbudget of what they REALLY want to do.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• dancin' on my head

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Imagineers do their best with what they have underbudget of what they REALLY want to do.
    I would agree to this statement.
    "all hail the American night"
    YOAMD Prizes Won: 3
    DMR Prizes Won: 1

Imagineering, like the rest of the parent company, is not monolithic, and, indeed, most of the blame for the organizational culture can be laid at the feet of the management. The problem is that the people who succeeded in the political environment The Walt Disney Company created under Eisner were the talentless sycophants and back-stabbers.

The only way that that culture can change is if many of the more reasonable executives in the organization realize that something is wrong and that the senior managements of Parks and Resorts, Imagineering, and Entertainment need a reorganization that includes an ample number of pink slips, plus a return to the previous ways of doing business.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    While I agree that maybe if Annual Passholders began a Do-Not-Renew Campaign Disney would probably be forced to make some changes, I don't think Annual Passholders will do anything of the sort.
    How about a "Let's not renew for a few months" campaign?
    I have this feeling that DL isn't going anywhere soon, so I'm in no pressing need to go for a few months. (At least not until it ets a little warmer.)
    Still, with lower attendance numbers (and lower renewal rates), someone is bound to notice.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The only way that that culture can change is if many of the more reasonable executives in the organization realize that something is wrong and that the senior managements of Parks and Resorts, Imagineering, and Entertainment need a reorganization that includes an ample number of pink slips, plus a return to the previous ways of doing business.
    I agree, but sadly Disney isn't going to get the hint unless their attendance numbers begin dwindling drastically. And by drastically I mean the park remaining empty for weeks straight. And to be honest I don't foresee this happening.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand - MIDWAY MANIA. I do think that the name, Toy Story Mania, was just a concept name. I highly doubt that is going to be the name of the final product. I come up with ideas for Disney and other entertainment related things all the time, but when I go back and look them over I usually tweak them. Whether that be a name change, a colour scheme change, or something more serious like a total "thought demolition" and start over. For a concept drawing I think the one everybody is talking about is pretty darn good.

All in all I think the best thing to do is just hold all the negativity back until we've actually ridden the darn thing.

Just my two cents.

...Joe...

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    All in all I think the best thing to do is just hold all the negativity back until we've actually ridden the darn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Disney has become much like the republican party - tricking its followers to believe they can do no wrong.

In a desire to give equal time/exposure to both political parties, I would like to compare Disney (using your very own arguements from the post I'm quoting from) to the Democrats- somehow managing to profit (aka win congress) despite offering no new, productive ideas

...running away now before much more mud gets slung.....
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

The flashlight thing has to do with the technology. Technologically speaking, it should be good--fairly advanced stuff. Can't say much more than that really.
    A lot like BLAB, but not like it at the same time. I have a lot of hope for it actually.
    dreams. come. true.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast