Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Toy Story Mania

• Creative Director

Re: Toy Story Mania

^that I would agree with. I don't care much for the toy references, or the beginning of the inner queue for that matter.

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I completely understand your position in this matter. I used to work for the company, myself. And, I know the way so many in the management of the organization, especially, hate the criticism they get in these discussions on the Internet. But, I would tell you and them that any analyses I provide are offered to help make Disneyland, and the Disney product, better.

I am really revealing all the reasons something either works or doesn't. I explain my logic totally, and, in so doing, anyone who is paying attention has the potential to learn the traditional principles of Imagineering that so many people within the company just don't understand anymore.

I'll give you some examples of how Buzz can work better in my next entry.
    Did you work for WDI?
    I understand where you are coming from too. I think at times the Disney fan community can cross the line (just in general), and I can see where it can get management and creatives frustrated. But, for the most part, I think a lot of the management needs a good kick in the rear about some classic old-school Disney standards. Some of the creatives need that too.
    Overall, I still think Buzz is a good attraction and highly entertaining, and always something that I want to experience over and over again. I hope Toy Story Mania gives me that feeling in the end too, if not even more. But I'll wait to come to my conclusions until I actually experience for myself. =)

Next, it might make sense to define the building where the attraction is housed as "Star Command", a believable place, which has the potential to include an academy of some sort that is looking to recruit new space rangers, test them, and train them. That explanation is really the only way to keep the targets and scoring system intact; the experience can't have guests directly engaging Zurg because the video-game aspects are much too stylized. So, it has to be more of a simulation. Men in Black uses this conceit to its advantage so that the stage flats and static characters look like those a police officer might find on a shooting range.

As a guideline, it's best to think of Buzz Lightyear, Star Wars, and all the other Tomorrowland fictions as occupying the same universe.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-20-2007 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    Did you work for WDI?
    I understand where you are coming from too. I think at times the Disney fan community can cross the line (just in general), and I can see where it can get management and creatives frustrated. But, for the most part, I think a lot of the management needs a good kick in the rear about some classic old-school Disney standards. Some of the creatives need that too.
    Overall, I still think Buzz is a good attraction and highly entertaining, and always something that I want to experience over and over again. I hope Toy Story Mania gives me that feeling in the end too, if not even more. But I'll wait to come to my conclusions until I actually experience for myself. =)
    I won't explain my full relationship with Disney, but I've held some varied positions in the company before I left to start my own business. I feel for you having to work in the environment you do, though, because I know it can be frustrating. The Walt Disney Company became so large and unwieldy over the last decade that it really isn't conducive to seeing a creative idea through from concept to completion. The bureaucracy can be stifling, and dissent, openness, and honesty are rarely welcome. But, ultimately, those things would help make the organization healthy again.

Well I'll explain my relationship with disney....I work all day while she just sits around and takes my money....thats my reationship with disney. So no need to explain your relationship....we already know!.......zzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

I think that this ride is going to be interesting, not Buzz two. I really think that this ride is much more comparable to Spiderman at IOA and Darkastle at BGE, ie a dark ride with moving 3-D films mixed with real set elements, the twist is that you will also have a gun. Where as Buzz is more like a Fantasyland dark ride (I know with 2D cutouts, still same ride design) with a gun. Outside of the gun element, these rides are going to provide a completely different ride experience and will be entertaining.

To put it another way, the way some people are complaining about a ride with a simillar gimick being installed in two parks, I cant imagine what would have been said when Fantasyland was being built, I mean can you imagine, three dark rides, two with the exact same ride experience (Toad and Snow White) and one with nearly the same ride experience (Peter Pan, ooo you get to "fly" on a rain instead of ride on one big deal.)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Next, it might make sense to define the building where the attraction is housed as "Star Command", a believable place, which has the potential to include an academy of some sort that is looking to recruit new space rangers, test them, and train them. That explanation is really the only way to keep the targets and scoring system intact; the experience can't have guests directly engaging Zurg because the video-game aspects are much too stylized. So, it has to be more of a simulation. Men in Black uses this conceit to its advantage so that the stage flats and static characters look like those a police officer might find on a shooting range.

Yup, I feel that way too. The 2D illustrated flats and the giant screws need to go. I want Buzz Lightyear to be real and not just a toy that has come to life. If the ride is really inspired by Toy Story 2, then it should be the Buzz of Star command as we saw in the opening of the film.

The use of the dog chew toy Aliens I'd be okay with if they were actually made into three-dimensional characters and not looking like a children's storybook.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456