Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Banned User

Re: What is with the graffiti?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Indeed, theyre simply there for ANY park guest. MY point, however, was that people simply don't understand the Year of a Million Dreams promotion.

It's miguided and unclear, and that results in confused consumers.
    I go every week and I still don't fully understand what it is.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    I go every week and I still don't fully understand what it is.
    If a frequent guest of the park, MiceChatter, and Annual Passholder can't fully understand the Year of a Million Dreams, that multiplies the fact that the millions of guests who save up to come to Disneyland will not understand what the hell is going on and why there are colored swirls screaming out "look at me!" with no explaination whatsoever.

Anyone getting a bad feeling about what's going on behind the castle's tarps?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Indeed, theyre simply there for ANY park guest. MY point, however, was that people simply don't understand the Year of a Million Dreams promotion.

It's miguided and unclear, and that results in confused consumers.

I don't know how many people I've explained the Year of a Million Dreams to and all of them are confused. They don't understand what the point of the Year of a Million Dreams is and they don't understand why Disney is handing out prizes.

The fact remains that Disney has yet to find a way to clearly and easily explain the Year of a Million Dreams to its consumer base. But randomly adding miscellaneous decorations up around the parks, and slap the logos everywhere is not the answer. And having two distinctly different ad campaigns for this (the clouds and castle, and the silhouetted characters w/ color swirls) is only going to add to guest confusion. People are going to think the two distinctly different marketing materials represent two different promotions, and they aren't going to know what those promotions are.

It's a mess.
    I honestly don't think that the average punter - that is, someone that doesn't spend their waking life visiting, reading or thinking about Disneyland - will really get a mixed message. This YOAMD thingy is simply a promotion, and perhaps not a very good one. It seems to have gathered more ire than any other prize-giving thing I've ever seen, and I'm not sure I'll ever work out why. However, the bulk of this ire seems to be coming from the park regulars, the APers if you will. For some reason, these people take any minor change as a personal affront to "their" park.

Now, given that the average punter probably only has a vague idea that there is one than one Disneyland let alone that there are "Disney Parks", two campaign logos - one with clouds, one with swirls - will neither confuse nor disgust them. The whole "You are randomly selected for a prize" didn't seem all too confusing a concept to me, but then again, I'm not the average consumer (or an average anything thankyouverymuch).

At any rate, even if people are still confused by prize winning, I hardly think a few additional swirls on Main Street will send them screaming back to the car park yelling "Oh my god! I've stared into the abyss and now I'm confused! Someone please hold me and buy me a chocolate covered product to calm my nerves! I'm not sure which chocolate product because I saw two ads and now I'm confused as to what chocolate is!"

So my point is twofold. Despite this going against my instinct, give people a little more credit to work out what a promotion is. Simply because the large part of middle America are willing consumers, doesn't mean they are all stupid. Secondly, simply because a swirl is seen, it doesn't mean lives have to end. Remember: there are thousands of people dying as I type this, and they wouldn't give a rat's how many swirls there are on Main Street.

Last edited by Loomis; 01-20-2007 at 04:03 AM.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Special Agent

If a frequent guest of the park, MiceChatter, and Annual Passholder can't fully understand the Year of a Million Dreams, that multiplies the fact that the millions of guests who save up to come to Disneyland will not understand what the hell is going on and why there are colored swirls screaming out "look at me!" with no explaination whatsoever.
    They're decorations. They aren't meant to convey a story or explain themselves. They sit there and look nice. That's all they have to do.

The part here that you seem to be missing is that the Park itself is the centerpiece of the promotion. No one comes to Disneyland to experience a promotion - they come to experience the park. Everything else is just icing on the cake - it's just decoration.

The reason why I like the Year of a Million Dreams promotion is that it's very subtle and not as in your face as the 50th. I think it's a good way to transition from the 50th back into something a little more "normal" for everyone else. They changed the logos on the paper cups and put some decorations up - what's to be confused about?

As for decorations on Main Street - well - they've done far worse in the past and they will probably do far worse in the future. Remember when they had the State Fair promotion or the circus fantasy promotion when they put all that circus stuff up on Main Street? Remember when they had a Ferris Wheel in the hub? Or maybe more recently do you remember when they had those big fiber-optic Light Magic signs hanging over the tunnels?

Disneyland is a business. They need to market how they see fit, and sometimes that means placing signs or decorations around the Main Entrance or over the tunnels.

And you know what - the swirls don't look that bad. I've seen far worse.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

to me its neither great nor horrid...best of all its TEMPORARY, no reason to get in a huff over it imho
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Senior Minion

I don't hate it neither love it. I just think it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Is that real?! If so, i'm never going to go to Disneyland AGAIN! Its too embarressing.
    It's real. I dare you to carry out your threat.
    Disneyland Passholder Since The Dawn of Annual Passes.
    SHRIMPBOATCAPTAIN on vmk

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Graffiti? That's not graffiti - in my mind, graffiti consists of something else entirely.
    Although I heard they are considering using graffiti for their Next Promo!!!
    Maybe there are some creative types out there that might be able to
    photoshop some suggestions!!!!!

I think that it is important to remember that the YOAMD, while it has started already, is supposed to get bigger and better more towards the summer months. Since the promotion has started, there have been others things going on (Halloween, Christmas) so the promotion is likely to get bigger publicity in a little while.

You know, it reminds me a bit of the pumpkin vine thingies on the bottom of Cinderella's coach. Pretty - and it's not REALLY on Main Street - yet!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456