Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Wireless Internet Stations inside Disneyland

Pal Mickey seemed kind of awkward to me. Has anyone ever used it?

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The W.L.A.N.'s have all sorts of potential. And, Disney could even use the mobile phone networks, too, to provide these kinds of services.
    I dotn know about Disneyland but last year during WDW Grad Nite Guests could sign-up to recieve text messages through-out the night that notified them when a special event or show was about to start. I thought it was pretty cool and it was extremely helpful.

Like monorail man (and others) said, I would expect Disney to use this new technology to enhance the guest experience. eFastPass is an excellent idea! And I think Grad Nites text message feature could be expanded to reg day guests and upgraded to accmodate guests who can recieve email on their phones/PDAs. A closed system of WiFi access could be created to keep guests updated as to wait times, give previews of show and attraction, review restaurants, to make dining reservations, etc...

Actually this is one of the best ideas Ive heard on these forums ina long time. Why to go guys.

As for open complete web access throught the resorts... Im not sure about that. I think dedicated spot within Tomorrowland that featured WiFi would sufice.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post
    I dotn know about Disneyland but last year during WDW Grad Nite Guests could sign-up to recieve text messages through-out the night that notified them when a special event or show was about to start. I thought it was pretty cool and it was extremely helpful.

Like monorail man (and others) said, I would expect Disney to use this new technology to enhance the guest experience. eFastPass is an excellent idea! And I think Grad Nites text message feature could be expanded to reg day guests and upgraded to accmodate guests who can recieve email on their phones/PDAs. A closed system of WiFi access could be created to keep guests updated as to wait times, give previews of show and attraction, review restaurants, to make dining reservations, etc...

Actually this is one of the best ideas Ive heard on these forums ina long time. Why to go guys.

As for open complete web access throught the resorts... Im not sure about that. I think dedicated spot within Tomorrowland that featured WiFi would sufice.
    I have some doubts about this.

There is the potential for dividing the guests into haves and have not's with respect to the experience and opportunities.

Also, I think there may need to be some constraints on how much of the external world intrudes into the parks. (Yeah, good luck with that)

And I'm no Luddite, I'm in IT.

• Minion

Universal Studios Japan already has a system that delivers ride wait times to cell phones http://www.usj.co.jp/news/imode/e_index.html so this could be a very real possibility for DL.

As for wifi I agree with what someone else said, we are moving to cellular broadband. So forget bringing your laptop, pretty soon everyone will have an iphone or smartphone/pda that connects to the web with cell service. My Cingular 8125 has saved me from complete boredom in a couple of long Space Mountain lines but would be even more valuable if it delivered wait times on demand.

Disney has been concerned that its research has found certain children would rather be at home playing video games, instead of going to Disneyland. But, most of these guests will eventually be bringing their own portable game players into The Magic Kingdom. So, there isn't really much cause for alarm.

Disney can support this practice by making video games that actually relate to the park experience and by delivering these applications wirelessly and in ways that allow for player interaction.

• Animatronic

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Disney has been concerned that its research has found certain children would rather be at home playing video games, instead of going to Disneyland. But, most of these guests will eventually be bringing their own portable game players into The Magic Kingdom. So, there isn't really much cause for alarm.

Disney can support this practice by making video games that actually relate to the park experience and by delivering these applications wirelessly and in ways that allow for player interaction.
    I think no modern child could resist the classic Disneyland, filled with rich historical details which blow away any game AND real hot chicks throughout the live entertainment in the park.

But since modern Disney is targeted towards what parents *think* their kids should like. It seems quite reasonable that the kids would want to stay home and play historical based fantasy games with virtual hot chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by mousercise View Post
    So forget bringing your laptop, pretty soon everyone will have an iphone or smartphone/pda that connects to the web with cell service.
    Why forget about bringing your laptop? My laptop works with cellular broadband just fine.

We're just talking about different delivery methods here. What equipment you want to use them with is immaterial as long as that equipment is compatible.

There are a lot of instances where a PDA or Smartphone is not going to be enough to do what you want to do. So just because cellular delivery might be the wave of the future...please don't write off the need of equipment larger than a PDA or phone. Bigger devices use cellular too.

When I use cellular broadband on my laptop, I'm actually using 2 different data delivery technologies: My laptop is accessing the Broadband Cellular data/internet network via its built-in Bluetooth, with the Bluetooth in my cellular broadband equipped cell phone on my belt. My laptop and cell phone are in effect "tethered" together wirelessly.

So my EVDO equipped cell phone is getting the broadband wirelessly via the EVDO high-speed cellular network, and transmitting that internet data wirelessly to and from my laptop via Bluetooth. In this way, I don't have the added expense or hassle of having to purchase and insert a Cellular Network Card.

If I find a WiFi hotspot...I usually use it. But if I don't, it's a simple click of my phone's Network Connection icon on my laptop...and in about 5 seconds my laptop is connected to the broadband cellular internet service.

Truth be told...I'm even using the term "WiFi" sort of incorrectly to identify a type of internet service. WiFi is just a wireless data delivery method just like Bluetooth and Cellular Broadband. The "source" of the data going through them can be anything. They even sell Cellular Broadband WiFi Routers that take the cellular broadband service signals and re-broadcast it out as a normal 802.11 WiFi signal...allowing regularly equipped WiFi computers and laptops (or ethernet-wired for that matter) access to the Cellular Broadband service, and allowing multiple users on one account. Great sometimes as a high-speed alternative for folks that have no traditional DSL or Cable high-speed internet provider in their area.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 01-21-2007 at 12:58 PM.

• :)

my friend has a PSP and he picks up internet signal at the maingate but thats it...is this considered WiFi or is it a different type of internet connection in conjunction to the PSP ?

Quote Originally Posted by mulishaCM View Post
    my friend has a PSP and he picks up internet signal at the maingate but thats it...is this considered WiFi or is it a different type of internet connection in conjunction to the PSP ?
    He's probably picking up a WiFi signal. But what that WiFi is or what it's connected to (internet, intranet, etc) is anyone's guess until he tries to connect to it.

There's a lot of WiFi within Disneyland that Disneyland uses for internal data transmissions not really related to the world wide web and public internet.

For example, remote cash registers might use WiFi to join a sales and inventory network. Various sensors might use WiFi to transmit their readings back to "home." That sort of stuff.

In other words...presence of WiFi does not always mean internet. It's just a method of transmitting data, wirelessly.

• Basking in birthday love

There are several WiFi spots around the park. It's just that they're all internal and MAC locked.

Personally, on the few times I've brought my laptop to the park to work, I've appreciated not being able to connect to the Internet. I work better without the distraction. I could see where it would be cool, but personally, I'm not that interested.

I see a wireless area being appropriate for Tomorrowland or even in Dowtown Disney. I don't believe mainstreet needs to convert from its early century and would look out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by mulishaCM View Post
    I have brought my Sony Mylo (mp3 player) in and I have picked up some kind of Disney corporate WNAPs around the old motor boat ride.

• Comin' at ya!

I think it'd kinda ruin the overall feel to put something like that in disneyland. it would just kinda ruin what disneyland is with having people bringing laptops and junk.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
    I think it'd kinda ruin the overall feel to put something like that in disneyland. it would just kinda ruin what disneyland is with having people bringing laptops and junk.
    People said that about cell phones when they first started showing up throughout Disneyland.

Personally...I think that even if a few hundred guests a day brought laptops into Disneyland and used them there (which I don't think would happen)...I still would think that cell phones (especially those with annoying musical ring tones) would be much more intrusive than laptops.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234