Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Defying gravity

Lightbulb Annual Passes Create....the HARDCORE DISNEYLAND FAN?!

Did "hardcore" DL fans exist before APs first came out in 1984? There are so many people on MC who visit DL almost on a daily basis. What enables them to do this? - their beloved APs. If there were no APs, who would be able to afford to visit so frequently (certainly with today's prices)? Back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s...were there so many return customers?

Thoughts on this...?

(And please, let's not let this turn into a "bash APs" thread...hmm we haven't had one yet this week...)

Re: Annual Passes Create....the HARDCORE DISNEYLAND FAN?!

Well, we were hard core back then. Of course we could afford to visit 8 times a year when prices were low. Hard core fans didn't have the Internet back then. I really think the Internet has caused the explosion of opinions being heard and the apparent growth of the hard core community. The AP has just allowed us to scrutinize the place to a ridiculous level. For heaven's sake there were pictures of manhole covers being replaced in a different positions.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mushufan View Post
    I really think the Internet has caused the explosion of opinions being heard and the apparent growth of the hard core community.
    The Internet allows crazy people to find other crazy people so that they can convince each other that they are not crazy. It happens on all levels, from hobbyists to fetishists to the truly deranged.

Before the Internet it was basically more difficult for the lunatic fringe to find each other.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    The Internet allows crazy people to find other crazy people so that they can convince each other that they are not crazy. It happens on all levels, from hobbyists to fetishists to the truly deranged.

Before the Internet it was basically more difficult for the lunatic fringe to find each other.
    No truer words were ever written.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post

I totally agree as well. Combined with the extreme marketing of AP's at the same time really pulled the net together.
    And, no E-ticket in DL since 1995.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I disagree. Before I got my AP two years ago, I was still a "hardcore" Disneyland fan since I was a little kid...I got to visit the park on average once a year.

I will agree that the internet has helped my obsession in the fact that I've been able to learn more about the park and know that there are crazier people than I am and that my obsession is a healthy one. When I was maybe 8 years old, I downloaded from some website the script to Pirates of the Caribbean, printed it out and memorized it.

I love the internet!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by mushufan View Post
    Well, we were hard core back then. Of course we could afford to visit 8 times a year when prices were low. Hard core fans didn't have the Internet back then. I really think the Internet has caused the explosion of opinions being heard and the apparent growth of the hard core community. The AP has just allowed us to scrutinize the place to a ridiculous level. For heaven's sake there were pictures of manhole covers being replaced in a different positions.
    Agreed, totally. When I was a kid it was affordable enough to where my mom could take me at least once every couple of months. And if she didn't take me I would go with other family members or friends and she had no problem giving me the money to go. It just wasn't all that expensive back then. I remember meeting people in the park who would tell me that they would go every week (this was before AP's) and I distinctly remember thinking that these people were nuts! If I only knew then what I know now!

• It's all nonsense

But you also have to remember that before they had the passports that you could just buy a general admission and the whatever ride tickets you wanted, or ride nothing for that matter. This would allow people to go often and keep prices flexible.

• Beep Beep!

I became a hardcore fan after getting my AP. Before that, I could only afford to go about once a year.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• rockin butter sponge!

having an AP has made my dreams of becoming a hardcore addict come true. Before i was just a fan, now i am a fanatic.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I was a hardcore fan before the AP, only the AP is like giving the fan CRACK. You are then into a whole new level of critique as you can go all the time. The park expereince changes in your mind as you see things more often than they were designed to be seen. We burn out the special magic these places contain when we make them ordinary. Like having your birthday party every day. If that happened you'd view it differently after a bit. I wish they would get rid fo the AP. I would guess that Walt wouldn't not like the AP. They had general admission, but you still had to buy the rides.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    I was a hardcore fan before the AP, only the AP is like giving the fan CRACK. You are then into a whole new level of critique as you can go all the time. The park expereince changes in your mind as you see things more often than they were designed to be seen. We burn out the special magic these places contain when we make them ordinary. Like having your birthday party every day. If that happened you'd view it differently after a bit. I wish they would get rid fo the AP. I would guess that Walt wouldn't not like the AP. They had general admission, but you still had to buy the rides.
    I think that going to DL more often just makes you appreciate it more. With more criticism also comes more love. While I myself only visit DL about 3 times a year, there are plently of MCers who visit several times a week, and I don't think that it becomes "ordinary" to most of them. While I try to to speculate what "Walt would think,"....APs are a HUGE source of revenue and account for about 50% of DL guests. I think he might just approve of that.

• Circle of Ancients

I think the Internet has WAY more to do with it than AP's.

And prior to '84 you could still visit DL everyday for nothing and not ride anything. How many APers who go to the park every day ride something??? Most people just use it as a hang out like other people use the mall.

• Minion

I have been "hardcore" since the 70's!
    I was hardcore when I could only visit ince a year for one day!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Been a hardcore fan since 1955.

But back in the early days of Disneyland (heck...pretty much up until they went "unlimited use"), it wasn't that expensive to visit Disneyland. General Admission tickets were only a buck or two. Local folks visited Disneyland a lot on General Admission tickets, just to see the Park and enjoy all the free entertainment, shows, and exhibits. And to dine and shop.

Only about one out of every four visits to Disneyland did we get fresh ticketbooks to be able to ride the attractions. We either saved up for the ticketbooks, or traded in Green Stamps (anyone remember those?) for ticketbooks, and on occasion went on some Private Party Nites on tickets from some employer...practically giddy with the prospect of not needing ride tickets and having unlimited use of the attractions on those special and rare nights!

Today...the place is so darn expensive to get in...you almost have to purchase an Annual Pass!

It's probably hard for some to imagine...but for much of Disneyland's life...the attractions weren't as big a deal as they are now. They were always a big deal, of course. Just not as big. Why? Because Disneyland itself was the big attraction. Just being in the various lands and experiencing all the trappings and history and such...was the biggest deal. The rides were mainly diversions.

People wanted to explore...wanted to discover...wanted to learn...wanted to participate more back then, IMHO. Today...I think more people just want to be strapped into something and then, "Wow Me." Rinse. Repeat.

IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast