Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Big Thunder and Space Mountain Challenge

but still dont yet that get you scared of them, they are fun rides, and not intense

• Banned User

Just 1 thing to say.

If you can do Splash, You can do anything at Disneyland.

I suggest Big Thunder First then Space. Space is usually dark and you have no Idea whats coming unless you've been on it many many times. I don't think it will be much of a problem though because the drops are not that bad.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• The pride is back.

If it's actual nausea (disorientation) and not just the speed or heights, then I'd pass on Space, even if the lighting is a little brighter. My Beloved adores BTMRR, but can't do Space because the darkness makes her disoriented and she gets nauseous.

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydude47 View Post
    when you ride these coasters, be careful when you put your arms up, or youll come off with a hand chopped off, there are some some short clearances

Um, no. I'm close to 6' and hold my hands up on a regular basis on Space and every other coaster in the parks. The clearances may look close, but Disney's not dumb enough to design them so close that people would lose a hand if they raised their arms.

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
    Um, no. I'm close to 6' and hold my hands up on a regular basis on Space and every other coaster in the parks. The clearances may look close, but Disney's not dumb enough to design them so close that people would lose a hand if they raised their arms.
    True, but some guests are stupid enough to try. I mean, someone got run over by the Peoplemover before...twice. Just glad that Disney's focus on guest safety is so high.

As for clearances, I'm always terrified of the double helix after the goats, i can't keep my arms up all the way and I'm also about 6'.

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeek View Post
    True, but some guests are stupid enough to try. I mean, someone got run over by the Peoplemover before...twice.
    Because two people were dumb enough to try to get out of the Peoplemover. Raising your arms on a rollercoaster is a common occurrence, and one that the designers would have taken into account.

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Oh, I'm not a big fan of coasters myself, but Space Mountain and Thunder are nothing. Both are great rides, and I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

At least venture out to the Paradise Pier at DCA and try Screamin. I was scared and very nervous the first time I went on it. I even thought about leaving the line once we got to the station! However, it was very enjoyable! The launch is nothing and the hills are unexpectedly fun. Also, that flip around Mickey's head may scare you, but trust me, you don't even feel it! I know this all may sound crazy to you, but I'm just trying to give you my perspective about it. Just consider it, that's all. Do not go on Tower of Terror, however. That'll be too much...

Again, Space and Thunder are nothing. You'll have a lot of fun! Enjoy it!!!

• :)

i love that "HEAD CHOPPER' drop!!

It's not a big drop at all, but since it comes so quick it does have the illusion that you're going to hit the rocks and that it's a long drop, but really it isnt...Like others said, venture out and try these coasters...Once you ride them you'll say to yoursself "That's it?" really...

My husband, who doesn't normally suffer from motion sickness, got nauseous from the strobe lights on space mountain.

• Wished I lived closer....

I like Big Thunder at night in the last car. We try to ride it at least once in the morning & try to make it our last ride at night.

• Minion

My friend put his hands up on Splash Mountain and got scratches from the Briar Patch. I love Splash Mountain, so hopefully these won't be a problem at all.
    The daydream princess

• Vehicle rotating backward

Unless you are more likely to get coaster sick than most, I don't think there's anything at DL (forget about DCA) that could get you sick.

Space has mild g-forces but I'm not used to g's at all so I came pretty close to freaking out myself. Not because I'm sick, but because I'm a big coaster chicken. It's probably the last ride in the park I'd hand to a fellow coaster chicken. Space is the only one in the mountain range with really curved banked turns (you know, those corners that just about position you sideways as you hurtle through a turn) and that's what's creating the G. I didn't much like it myself, although the show scene was beautiful. But since the show scene is turned off for Rockin', I wouldn't bother.

Matterhorn is a rough ride, but if you do it during the day you won't have much problem. The "nastier" Tomorrowland track has a small drop that isn't very fun due to the rough ride but the worst you'll encounter on the Fantasyland side is a turn in darkness. I don't think it goes very fast, and while it is rough, it's not the roughest coaster ever thanks to all it's rehabs. Keep in mind none of the DL coasters are launched like Screamin'. You're only going as fast down the tracks as you can naturally go on the force of gravity. If you're old-school DL fan, you can also enjoy spotting the room/tunnel the Skyway used to travel through when you ride through it.

If you can deal with the bumpy-bumpy, I'd say Matterhorn at day is easier to deal with than Big Thunder, which freaked me out mostly because I was unable to stop thinking about it's checkered safety record in recent years while I was riding.

BTW, the second drop in the dark in Splash is freakier than most everything on Matterhorn or Big Thunder (sitting in the front half anyway). Space at times feels almost like an entire ride based around that one sequence. So if you can handle those double-drops in the dark at Splash, you shouldn't have any problems. I also find the mountains are easier to deal with if you spread your feet apart to help balance yourself, but that's just anecdotal and I can't guarantee there's any real science behind it.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 01-21-2007 at 10:55 AM.

• Bring Your Own Redemption

Yeah, ask to be seated towards the front of the train on Thunder, and the CM will gladly assist you. It's much more calmer there than sitting in the back. I'm not sure if this would matter much on Space...

• Minion

roxystar68's mom says: I want to go on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad with Roxy but I am not very brave. How does it compare with the Matterhorn for general scariness and length of drops? Thanks!
    The daydream princess

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast