Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• :)

Disneyland Prior 1967-97' [Photo Heavy]

All photos/postcards are property of Disney. Enjoy.

These pictures make me wish I was alive to experience the Original Magic Kingdom Walt Dreamed Up.

Main Street USA & The HUB =)

The Fab Five

When I said photo heavy, I was'nt joking

Re: Disneyland Prior 1967-97' [Photo Heavy]

and now...

Fantasyland!

and now...
    Frontierland & Adventureland!

New Orleans Square

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

bring member and see how small the tree was and now see the plant and trees growed.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

Thank you so much for these pictures, Mulisha, and for the others you posted in the Tomorrowland thread.

Current Disney management could learn so much about how to operate the place just by looking at these photos alone. I want to step into each one.

• Hooterville, USA

DL looked so much more colorful in those pics.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

maybe its just me, but it looks so much better back then. the cowboys and indians, the hawaiin dancers, looks like so much more to do. wqow, thses are awsome pics, that place looks so awsome in the old days!!! and why is it the castle looks way bigger then today??

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    maybe its just me, but it looks so much better back then. the cowboys and indians, the hawaiin dancers, looks like so much more to do. wqow, thses are awsome pics, that place looks so awsome in the old days!!! and why is it the castle looks way bigger then today??
    Part of the reason the old Disneyland looks so much better is because those things really made Frontierland and Adventureland believable worlds in which one could lose himself or herself.

Each detail is supporting the show.

Of course all those and more can be found at:

http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    There were some great things "back in the day"...but also think about what they DIDN'T have: Indy, Splash, Space, Fantasmic!, Star Tours, Big Thunder, decent facades on Fantasyland dark rides, and on and on.

Today's mature landscaping is much more beautiful; look at how barren some of those old photos are.

I sure do miss Skull Rock/Pirate's Cove and Tahitian Terrace, but I'll still take today's DL over 1967's. Especially since I can actually go there.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

Notice no California state flag. ... no gold lampposts with Tinker Bells. ... no plastic benches. ... no towers for stage lights and loudspeakers. ... no pin-trading carts and churro stands. ... no brown pavers laid in a herringbone pattern. ... no visible administration building. ... a horse-drawn fire wagon.

Here's another horse-drawn wagon. And, all the lampposts have period-appropriate red, white, and blue banners.

Here's a horseless carriage with two citizens of Main Street dressed quite nicely. Notice also that the sign above the city hall reads "Disneyland City Hall" just as the one above the opera house used to read "Disneyland Opera House" and the narration aboard the railroad used to say "Main Street, Disneyland, U.S.A."

Here is Main Street, U.S.A. at night. You may notice that all the lampposts are much dimmer than they are today in order to create a pleasing glow without glare. Diffused and direct light in Disneyland used to be much dimmer.

Here are actual wooden benches, instead of the plastic kind upon which guests now sit. Since these parts of the show guests actually touch, there should be an effort made to ensure that the materials used support the show.

What a fanciful and unobtrusive outdoor-vending cart this is. The host is only selling ice cream, and he is dressed in a clean, period-specific costume.

Here is a horse-drawn surrey carrying guests past a cinema that is actually playing films from the turn of the last century. One even includes keystone cops.

This establishment, founded in 1792, as one of our little hometown's earliest has a couple of lovely hostesses dressed not in uniforms but, rather, in Victorian dresses of different colors.

Here we see an actual working pharmacy on Main Street, U.S.A. The druggist is lending one more layer of believability in order to convince guests that they are experiencing a real place.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-21-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Look at how better the stockade reads in these two pictures. I also like that there is no Bonanza Outfitters, which alludes to a non-Disney television show. In place of that shop is a reference to Davy Crockett.

There are all sorts of things about this picture that appeal to me. It, and so many of these others, look as if they might be stills from movies.

Stagecoaches and Indians are both quite evocative. Frontierland could use more of them.

That town makes Frontierland seem so much more expansive.

What's more evocative than a stagecoach? ... a stagecoach with a Conestoga wagon traveling through a painted desert with a mine train in the distance.

I miss Cascade Peak.

Here's a bear who is not of the Pooh variety. This is the kind of critter I like to see in Frontierland.

Who doesn't love a good trestle?

Wow! Actual indigenous tribespeople sharing their actual dances and other customs add a whole other layer of meaning to the canoes and to Frontierland, itself.

When was the last time you saw the banks of the Rivers of America sporting: flowers, trees, and other plants; lampposts without loudspeakers; and, a picturesque, ivy-covered mill, instead of a colorless and barren Fantasmic! stage?

You gotta love Cascade Peak.... unless, of course, you're Paul Pressler.

Here's a lawsuit waiting to happen. ... better send in the legal department and Jerry Bruckheimer.

More rivercraft... Boy, was that was a busy river at one time. I suppose it's better that Frontierland not look more lively than Tomorrowland does at the moment.

Have the pirates arrived already? At least, the fire here is real as opposed to the cellophane in Tortuga.

Wait a minute. Do you mean to tell me that guests actually used to sit to eat in Disneyland? And, there were waitresses? ... and floor shows! I love that curtain of water. That was such an imaginative idea.

Do you think these pictures were taken before or after all the skippers started telling groan-worthy jokes about the California freeways?
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 02-21-2007 at 01:12 PM.

• Brrr...its cold out there

Thank you for sharing these pictures. It is always fun to look at the pictures from the past !

A haunted mansion without bunting and wreaths lies across water illuminated by softly glowing lights. Don't you think keelboats look better than a pen of cigarette smokers?

Where's all the unnecessary FastPass signage?

Do you know what this shot needs? I think it needs: a contemporary jazz band playing "She's a Brickhouse"; an O.D.V. cart selling cheap glowing toys made of plastic; and, big advertisements for gumbo.

The shops in New Orleans Square are much too unique and interesting. We need to put our ten top-selling items in each boutique and lease the rest of the space to outside businesses.

She must work in O.D.V. That department positively reeks of good taste and good manners. And, those vendors always make such a good appearance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast