Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Filmed Entertainment at DLR

Doesn't Disney get the idea that filmed based entertainment has a shorter shelf life than a ride, I mean Bugs Life movie at DCA is pretty innnovative with the extra effects / audio-animatronic bugs. But after 25 years, Star Tours is getting really stale, but so is Muppets 3-D and all the others, especially Honey I Bored the Audience.

I hope Iger/Lassiter will greenlight some new movies to replace or upgrade some of the older filmed based attractions. They need to realize people don't want to watch the same show again and again, and a fresh sequel could totally turn these attractions around.

I mean the Muppet movie was already 10 years old when it debuted at DCA, having been seen at DMGMS in Florida.

I recommend replacing Star Tours with another Star Wars movie, leave the Bugs Life movie for now but plan for a 2.0 to debut at DCA/DAK within a few years, and do something new with the Magic Eye Theater/HISTA and Muppet theater.

I like the Whoopi Goldberg/Califia movie, although it could fit in a smaller theater, like one the size of one of the bays at the Animation Show. The Golden Dreams Theater is nice inside, they should repurpose it for Mickey's PhilHarmagic. Maybe Whoopi's movie could run inside the winery screening room, it's actually big enough for the small audiences that go see it, which is sad, because it's the only thing in California that feels a little like "Epcot"/edutainment.

• Banned User

Re: Filmed Entertainment at DLR

Again I stress, APers may be sick of it but tourists are not. Some people only see these shows once in a lifetime, others like APers may see it on a weekly basis, therefore I really do not think that opinion matters. Heck, kids 20 years from now may love Star Tours just the way it is.

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    Again I stress, APers may be sick of it but tourists are not. Some people only see these shows once in a lifetime, others like APers may see it on a weekly basis, therefore I really do not think that opinion matters. Heck, kids 20 years from now may love Star Tours just the way it is.
    If I'm not mistaken, someone said that "Disneyland will never be completed." In that spirit, attractions need to be updated--or even removed, if necessary. At the very least, Star Tours needs a technology update. It looks and feels old and tired. HISTA is so outdated (the clothes...EEK!) that it hardly belongs in Tomorrowland. That one desperately needs to be changed. I do think Bugs and Muppets are OK for the time being. Golden Dreams, too, but it obviously needs to be in a smaller venue.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

Can the Fantasyland Theatre be modified so that it is able to show "Philhamagic" along with its live entertainment offerings?

Paris' "Cinemagic", too, seems like a good candidate for making the Hyperion more versatile.

Films are the only attractions that I do not mind Disney duplicating in more than one resort destination. And, I think making some of these live-entertainment theatres more versatile is a great idea, as well.

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Doesn't Disney get the idea that filmed based entertainment has a shorter shelf life than a ride, I mean Bugs Life movie at DCA is pretty innnovative with the extra effects / audio-animatronic bugs. But after 25 years, Star Tours is getting really stale, but so is Muppets 3-D and all the others, especially Honey I Bored the Audience.

I hope Iger/Lassiter will greenlight some new movies to replace or upgrade some of the older filmed based attractions. They need to realize people don't want to watch the same show again and again, and a fresh sequel could totally turn these attractions around.

I mean the Muppet movie was already 10 years old when it debuted at DCA, having been seen at DMGMS in Florida.

I recommend replacing Star Tours with another Star Wars movie, leave the Bugs Life movie for now but plan for a 2.0 to debut at DCA/DAK within a few years, and do something new with the Magic Eye Theater/HISTA and Muppet theater.

I like the Whoopi Goldberg/Califia movie, although it could fit in a smaller theater, like one the size of one of the bays at the Animation Show. The Golden Dreams Theater is nice inside, they should repurpose it for Mickey's PhilHarmagic. Maybe Whoopi's movie could run inside the winery screening room, it's actually big enough for the small audiences that go see it, which is sad, because it's the only thing in California that feels a little like "Epcot"/edutainment.
    Or Why don't we have new rides there instead of stale movies which grow old and have to be replaced all the time? I am fine with Golden Dreams and it is a very beautiful movie that should be placed in a spot where it can be fully appreciated. Muppets, HISTA, and Star Tours are all fine to me and I think a lot of others agree.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Minion

It just depends on the quality of the show. Forget about new stuff, I think they should bring back Captain EO for night showings at the HISTA theater. Too bad Michael Jackson's public problems would probably prevent Disney from doing this.

• n/a

While non APers enjoy Star Tours more than us, the quality of the attraction has slipped. The film is very scratchy and shakey. The projectors don't even allign with the screen anymore. That and I beleive it's still on laser disc.

I would think Lucas Film or ILM would be embarressed enough to want to update their product.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• n/a

Ha, new Capt EO with Justin Timberlake... bringing sexy back to Tomorrowland.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I'm sure that, at one time, there were "regulars" who called for the park to remove old tired attractions like the people mover, saucers, America Sings and the skyway.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

From what I remember there have always been this "it's a movie-style ride and it can be changed out real easy and inexpensively," however with the exception of Caption EO, what other one's have been changed? Is this left over Eisnerism where a new ride could be opened inexpensively with the promise that it could/would be changed out even though the intention was not to?
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• ...TWO BITS!

Like I'm sure others will say, there are other problems to address in DLR besides currently operating attractions.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Now I'm driving the bus!

Why does my opinion not matter? I spend a ton of money in the parks and hotels each and every time I go there. By the way, Muppetvision 3D is a must attraction for us every time as well. My 5 year old nephew can't get enough of Star Tours either. However it could use some attention.
    If I can't be a good roll model at least let me be a bad example.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    Why does my opinion not matter?
    There seems to be a kind of doublethink going around that Disneyland caters to the local crowd because of the large number of annual passport holders but doesn't care what they think because they are easily pleased.

I don't get it. You either cater to the locals and care what they think, or you don't.

• Directly directed

I'm not an APer. I've seen HISTA once. It was awful. I've never felt the need to see it again. I haven't been on Star Tours in 6 years because I think it's outdated. And I go to Disneyland once a year at most. I also don't like Bug's Life which I've also only seen once. However I do like the muppets. I think that one is a cute show. And I know a lot of people like Bug's life but Star TOurs and HISTA need to be redone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    I'm not an APer. I've seen HISTA once. It was awful. I've never felt the need to see it again. I haven't been on Star Tours in 6 years because I think it's outdated. And I go to Disneyland once a year at most. I also don't like Bug's Life which I've also only seen once. However I do like the muppets. I think that one is a cute show. And I know a lot of people like Bug's life but Star TOurs and HISTA need to be redone.
    HISTA is embarrassingly bad. I would love a new Muppet film to replace the one currently in that theatre. It's Tough to Be a Bug still has life left in it. Golden Dreams just needs a few little extras here and there. Soarin' over California needs more flights so that guests can experience a random assortment of California landscapes. Star Tours needs more flights, too, and the attraction definitely needs to be refurbished in order to make it as nice as it was when it first opened. So, in my opinion, Disney needs to use the antiHISTAmine first; Honey is one of the worst attractions Imagineering has ever made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast