Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Santa Barbara, CA

The AP. Would Walt have done it?

As much as I selfishly love having an AP, it does change the experience as when you see the rides so often they tend to lose their impact. You just go for dinner, to shop, etc. I love it, but is it fundamentally what the park set out to achieve? An audience of extreme regulars that come on average 10 times a year and know the rides by heart? Or count burned out light bulbs? At some point the park changes slowly in our eyes. Does it erode the memories of that first time we expereinced it?

I doubt the park and it's episodic experiences were ever meant to be an every day or weekly experience. I admit that I like the idea of seeing WDW so seldom like once a year or less. Would Walt buy into the AP program? Would he even liked Passports? Isn't it a good thing that we only have one "Birthday" a year? I vote for the return of "special" and bring back tickets..You opine..
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

•   

Re: The AP. Would Walt have done it?

I believe that Walt would not like the Annual Passes for the same exact reasons you listed above. I myself am a passholder and truly love it because I have love for Disney, Disneyland, and I idolize Walt.
    But I think it does take a little something away from the experience that is Walts view of Disneyland.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    I doubt the park and it's episodic experiences were ever meant to be an every day or weekly experience.
    Well, whether or not the park was created to be that way, that is what DL has become. I'm sure that Walt and WDI and the company could never dreamed of the enormous success that Disneyland and all of the other parks have become. DL brings joy to so many people. It's an escape from the real world, and if you want/need to escape every day...by all means...go for it!!! (I'm jealous of those who are able to!) APs allow you to discover something new every time. There are so many treasures tucked away that there is something new to discover with every trip.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't think Walt would have done it, because he didn't.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Damn good point.

• Senior Minion

I just became an AP'er this year and love it! Although I'm not a lightbulb counter, but enjoy the little special touches that are througout the park. When I used to buy a ticket it was always a mad dash to get on as many rides as possible - forget the shows and parades ... and sometimes even eating a decent meal. It was all about doing as much as possible on one single day.

Now that I have an AP I'm able to take my time walking around, enjoying the ambience. I feel more relaxed and have a better time because I'm not in a mad dash to go everywhere. It has also given me the opportunity to try things I never have before - like the Monte Cristo sandwhich! Before I never would have wanted to eat at a sit down place, it was pretty much food from the carts and I'd scarf it down while waiting in line.

Friends and family have also asked me if I get tired or bored of going so often, and honestly I don't. There is always something different and new for me to experience. Like the last time I was there walking by Alice In Wonderland, I just noticed that there is a Cheshire Cat figure on the side.

Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

I think Walt Disney would have people migrate to the lower-tier annual passports, if he was alive today

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    As much as I selfishly love having an AP, it does change the experience as when you see the rides so often they tend to lose their impact. You just go for dinner, to shop, etc. I love it, but is it fundamentally what the park set out to achieve? An audience of extreme regulars that come on average 10 times a year and know the rides by heart? Or count burned out light bulbs? At some point the park changes slowly in our eyes. Does it erode the memories of that first time we experienced it?

I doubt the park and it's episodic experiences were ever meant to be an every day or weekly experience. I admit that I like the idea of seeing WDW so seldom like once a year or less. Would Walt buy into the AP program? Would he even liked Passports? Isn't it a good thing that we only have one "Birthday" a year? I vote for the return of "special" and bring back tickets..You opine..
    No, he wouldn't.
    End of story.
    Next question?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• A Pirate's life for me!

Maybe AP's were in his "overall plan", but he ran out of time before he could implement them...

• A Pirate's life for me!

I'm usually not one to respond to these "what would Walt do???" threads, since I never had the pleasure to shake his hand, but I do feel that he wanted all folks to be able to enjoy his Park.

If having an AP lets you enjoy his Park, then the end result is what he wanted. If visiting the Park a few times a month is what you enjoy, then Walt would be happy.

Each time that we visit the Park (which is about 6 trips per year), we are all happy and I haven't heard any of us complain about being bored.

I have a small bowl of ice cream a few nights a week, and I'm not tired of it. Same difference...

You get out of it what you want. Personally, I enjoy seeing the smiles on my kids faces each time we visit the Park. I'm sure that Walt would have liked to see their smiles too...

Enjoy! (AP'er or not...)

• Someone's excited!

This is an interesting topic. I don't know what Walt would have done. I would guess he would let the AP thing happen. Like PirateMickey said he wanted people to enjoy his park!
    Still wishing for that AP....

Future Imagineer, right here!

"Have I really been on MiceChat for TWO HOURS?!?!?!?" -Me

• white and nerdy

I disagree with the concept that going all the time will weaken the impact. I go all the time and am impacted every time.

Don't forget, Walt walked the park as often as he could.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Someone's excited!

Stuff like AP's weren't invented then. It didn't even cross anybodys mind to have AP's in the 50's.
    Still wishing for that AP....

Future Imagineer, right here!

"Have I really been on MiceChat for TWO HOURS?!?!?!?" -Me

Cool Re: The AP. Would Walt have done it?

Who can say what Walt would have done? But everyone in our family has an AP, some different levels than others, but we all go as often as we can. We are able to relax and enjoy different rides, shows, parades, or just eat or shop at our own pace. If we miss what we went for, we just do something else and go again.......... And who goes only 10 times in a year?? We can do double that in a month!

I think the original poster is hypothesizing about how Walt Disney intended guests to visit The Magic Kingdom and if crossing the borders into this other world so frequently adversely affects the ways guests perceive it.

While everyone may want to live in Disneyland, it's probably better to just visit it every so often so that it stays special.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast