Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Re: Carlton's Wild Ride

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    Turned out, the brakes weren't all that fixed. There was nothing a rookie pilot or a more experienced pilot could have done in that situation to stop monorail blue from falling off the end of the beam.
    Surely the engine shouldn't be "put into gear" at all until the beam was switched into place?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Anaheim

• Zero Blockout Dates

Thanks all for the input and the picture.
    Still would love to hear more about it someday.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll surface in a "Mouse Tales/Mouse Under Glass" type book oneday.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Surely the engine shouldn't be "put into gear" at all until the beam was switched into place?

That is the case now but back then they would pull a train to a hold point and wait for the switch to be moved (it saved downtime on the line).

Unfortunately the hold point was on a grade so the train just kept rolling down hill.

They changed SOP after that so a train does not move out of the shop until the switch is over.

• A guy walks into a bar...

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    The Blue derailment was not the rookie's fault. She had completed training and was adding blue back to the line after it was pulled in to the shop to get the brakes fixed.

Turned out, the brakes weren't all that fixed. There was nothing a rookie pilot or a more experienced pilot could have done in that situation to stop monorail blue from falling off the end of the beam.
    I was working Jungle Cruise the night of this incident. Not to make light of the situation, but the radio call from Steam Trains was pretty funny.

"Holiday Five to Train Central, we're gonna be going 101 (broken down)"
    "WHAT FOR???"
    "Uh.....there's a monorail on the track!"
    "(long pause)..........10-4"

This internet message board posting does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my company, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; you may distribute this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; Contest ends 12-31-2099.

• It's all nonsense

So did the derailment destroy the Monorail? I'd imagine it was pretty bad if it hit the ground.

• A guy walks into a bar...

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    So did the derailment destroy the Monorail? I'd imagine it was pretty bad if it hit the ground.
    If I recall, there was some damage, yes, but not as bad as you would think. It didn't go flying off the rail at full speed. It just kind of rolled lazily backwards off the rail.

This internet message board posting does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my company, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; you may distribute this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; Contest ends 12-31-2099.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipperStandUp View Post
    I was working Jungle Cruise the night of this incident. Not to make light of the situation, but the radio call from Steam Trains was pretty funny.

"Holiday Five to Train Central, we're gonna be going 101 (broken down)"
    "WHAT FOR???"
    "Uh.....there's a monorail on the track!"
    "(long pause)..........10-4"
    I was on Autopia at the same time. The radio call from back bridge was amusing as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12