Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Wonderful World of Color Nightime Water Show & Carland Location

I just don't see anyway this show won't be the nighttime entertainment smash that DCA needs (BTW, Davison also has a project in development for DAK that is also amazing and should debut in 2008 for the park's 10th anniversary).

The only complaint I've ever had with his stuff really is the moppets singing ... while I kind of liked them in Believe, by the time we got to Wishes I was looking for something else ... and they're much more ... obnoxious in Wishes, IMHO.

I've heard great stuff about the fireworks show that Disney debuted Monday night at the MK for Princess and Pirates after-hours party, which I believe he is also responsible for but not positive.

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    Actually, I didn't mean it that way, I think the way I phrased it made it come off a bit more seriously than I meant. sorry about that. I just couldn't really get how sexuality is linked to little things in the shows such as using a childrens choir. Though I do understand a bit how the shows and parades can get a bit too...lets say...'mushy'? Honestly, I am not a fan of the childrens choir thing, and prefer the old-school Disney vocal sound that use to be the staple of parades and shows. And I would prefer Disney to start thinking outside of the box when it comes to the 'feel' of the productions...not everything has to be about sentimental dreams and wishes and childhood. That's actually why I personally like Block Party and the sort of rock/pop feel to the show stop in Parade of Dreams. as for fireworks, I prefer Remember and the new Magic, Music and Mayhem. More intense, thrilling, and a bit different.
    At the gym, I'm always listening to rehearsal tracks from Block Party Bash. That is a such an upbeat and energetic show, and its use of familiar songs somehow fits both the Pixar Pals and D.C.A. Also, while I've never seen "Brother Bear" and while I initially had reservations about the Parade of Dreams not using original music, I'm really glad that the Phil Collins song was incorporated into the show because the piece sounds prestigious just like many of the productions in Disneyland's past; the music is quite rousing and festive.

The gay sensibility to which I was referring isn't something that is very common, but, with some artists, their works do reflect it. For example, the director and choreographer Kenny Ortega has made such things as: "Newsies"; "High School Musical"; "Hocus Pocus"; and, "Hull High". And, I can see his sexuality in many of those productions. The fact that it is so noticeable is partly the reason some of them have had trouble finding audiences because it can make certain people uncomfortable.

"Newsies", for instance, had such emotionality that I can easily understand the reason some people may have felt embarrassed watching it. Christian Bale, though, was so proficient in his acting abilities that the strengths and vulnerabilities of the "Jack Kelly" protagonist were balanced very well. And, the Alan Menken and J.A.C. Redford score had moments of great dignity, too. As it exists right now, though, the film is virtually unwatchable, even for me and even though I absolutely love several aspects of it, simply because everyone is so unabashed in the show.

I guess that un-abashedness is really the thing to which I'm referring. It's embarrassing for the audiences, themselves, to watch it.

In some Disneyland shows, the orientation they seem to have toward women and mothers usually means children's voices, a saccharine-sweet female voice, and some sugary lyrics are going to be present. In my experience, these things turn several people off. In fact, they've told me that Disneyland is "too happy" or, rather, that it is happy in a forced and insincere way. And, I do know what they mean. So, I hope that that explanation makes sense. I've never really thought about the exact reason some of these things cause me to cringe, but now I think I have a better understanding.

I see where you're coming from.
    But:
    Why do we even care? Disneyland is happy. It's meant to be an inspirational place. I've never seen people my own age (21) and sex (male) cringe at the firework shows; they're always so captivated.
    Same goes for Fantasmic! There's something about all those things happening at once, that the soundtrack just fits perfectly.
    As far as Davison goes, I don't see sexuality as being reflective, nor do I see it as an important thing to worry about.
    If I were in charge of Disneyland entertainment, I'd like to think that I could come up with something just as magnificant, despite the fact that I happen to be straight.
    It really should have no bearing on the conversation, whatsoever, is all I'm saying.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    Im wondering if Carland will have any other attractions besides CARS, it is a land, I'm guessing it will have more than one attraction
    the version i heard was to have the test track technology themed to cars, some C or D ticket attraction, maybe a spinner since DCA is missing one, and a retro quick service restaurant...

it might have changed since i last heard...

• rockin butter sponge!

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    the lagoon needs something, anything. They could put Darkwing Duck out there with a sparkler and it'd be better.
    I crack up every time i read this!

/begin snarky rant
    And to summarize this thread:

Apparently Disneyland entertainment is gay because it does not broadly appeal to the Football watchin, beer drinkin, crushing cans on your head, monster truck, UFC, wife beating, meat eating, stripper loving, red blooded Alpha males? Hrmm.. i don't want to run into guys like that at the park anyway.
    Forgive me if i have misinterpreted this, but Disneyland is all about the pizazz, jazz, flare and style, and somewhere along the line the general testosterone filled asshat decided that if it was Andrew Lloyd Webber or Liza Minelli sounding, it must be gay.

Now, here is how the word "gay" is defined in the dictionary, minus the sexual connotations:

Gay:
    1. Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
    2. Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
    3. Given to social pleasures.
    In that case... I want MY Disneyland as gay as possible!!!

/end snarky rant
    Last edited by Mineux; 01-25-2007 at 07:14 AM.

• I meant to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mineux View Post

/begin snarky rant
    And to summarize this thread:

Apparently Disneyland entertainment is gay because it does not broadly appeal to the Football watchin, beer drinkin, crushing cans on your head, monster truck, UFC, wife beating, meat eating, stripper loving, red blooded Alpha males? Hrmm.. i don't want to run into guys like that at the park anyway.
    Forgive me if i have misinterpreted this, but Disneyland is all about the pizazz, jazz, flare and style, and somewhere along the line the general testosterone filled asshat decided that if it was Andrew Lloyd Webber or Liza Minelli sounding, it must be gay.

Now, here is how the word "gay" is defined in the dictionary, minus the sexual connotations:

Gay:
    1. Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
    2. Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
    3. Given to social pleasures.
    In that case... I want MY Disneyland as gay as possible!!!

/end snarky rant
    As a straight man, I am offended by your post...

Nah, I just kid... I feel that Disneyland is void of all sexual "alignment" all-together. Even though Walt built a park for everyone, it was created for the kids; and in the real world I may watch WWE, UFC, Football, and even enjoy a good steak (I guess I need to get with the "wife beating") at Disneyland, I'm just another kid.

/on topic. Yes the "Ocean" needs something, water show would be nice. Call it Fantasy Waters V2

• rockin butter sponge!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Rex View Post
    As a straight man, I am offended by your post...

Nah, I just kid... I feel that Disneyland is void of all sexual "alignment" all-together. Even though Walt built a park for everyone, it was created for the kids; and in the real world I may watch WWE, UFC, Football, and even enjoy a good steak (I guess I need to get with the "wife beating") at Disneyland, I'm just another kid.

/on topic. Yes the "Ocean" needs something, water show would be nice. Call it Fantasy Waters V2
    thank you for seeing the humor! And for the record, im a girl who LOVES her steak and enjoys a good UFC match once in awhile, and i wear "wife-beater" tank tops on occasion, so im sure that counts!

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    In some Disneyland shows, the orientation they seem to have toward women and mothers usually means children's voices, a saccharine-sweet female voice, and some sugary lyrics are going to be present. In my experience, these things turn several people off. In fact, they've told me that Disneyland is "too happy" or, rather, that it is happy in a forced and insincere way. And, I do know what they mean. So, I hope that that explanation makes sense. I've never really thought about the exact reason some of these things cause me to cringe, but now I think I have a better understanding.
    Counter that with the 'testosterone overload' that many classic attractions deliver, particularly the 'something goes terribly wrong' rides. Even the Fantasyland dark rides tend to lean towards the hard edge of the films they are based on, with the exception of Alice. Many classic Disney films do possess a 'feminine/maternal sensibility' at their core (Dumbo and Bambi being prime examples), but this tends to get left by the wayside in the parks.

The major exception to this rule of course is 'small world' which is truly an enigma in the Disney theme park universe. A forty year-old major E-Ticket with an important historical origin that was primarily designed from a feminine/maternal perspective. I doubt we'll ever see such an attraction again given the lack of female executives inside P&R and WDI. Thank heavens for Mary Blair and her contributions to Disney!

This is why I feel the 'sappy happy' female persona emerges so strongly in the parades and shows, because there's no counter-balance in the rides. Lack of the feminine in the attractions strengthens the perception of 'sappy happy' in entertainment offerings, even if it's not deliberately presented in this manner. 'Grandma' in the Christmas Believe show was one of the worst offenders.

Steve Davison is a genius, and I love the vast majority of his creations. But when it comes to representing the other half of the gender spectrum, he really needs to get a clue.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Sorry, but I don't think that being "Sappy happy" is a gay thing. It is a DISNEY thing. Both Disney and Pixar movies follow this formula - Touch the heart. Steve produces shows that will touch and move his audience. They are neither feminine nor masculine, they are emotional (and most of us can relate to that)
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Sorry, but I don't think that being "Sappy happy" is a gay thing. It is a DISNEY thing. Both Disney and Pixar movies follow this formula - Touch the heart.
    WHOA. Back the truck up. I vehemently disagree about 'sappy happy' being connected to Pixar. One of the primary reasons I love Pixar films is because they don't venture down the 'sappy happy' route. Disney does, definitely. But not Pixar.

And as far as this attitude being a gay thing, my experience has taught me that it's more closely associated with the ***** universe than the straight world. I'm not going for stereotypical blanket statements; nothing is ever absolute. But overall, it's been my personal experience that more ***** men are in touch with their feminine sides than straight men. I've lived with both my entire life. For the most part, straight men just don't get this.

Now back to the topic at hand...

I hope Steve Davison's new show for DCA will be better than LuminAria. Paradise Bay is too small for pyro. I hope he's learned his lesson.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123