Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Is it acceptable to turn your kids loose at Disneyland with walkie-talkies?

I thought it would be interesting to see how the MiceChat community felt about the use of walkie-talkies in the Park.

My family has used them in the past to stay in contact with one another, since the kids (5 of them, now ages 15-22) often break up into several smaller groups since they usually each bring a friend.
    Plus the wife and I like to have some alone time when we first get there as well.
    The funny thing is that by halfway thru the first day, the kids usually call us on the walkie-talkies to see where we are so they can hang with us... which, of course, makes us feel pretty good that our kids actually want to hang out with us.

But I digress...

How do you feel about the use of walkie talkies in the Park?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Defying gravity

Re: Is it acceptable to turn your kids loose at Disneyland with walkie-talkies?

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to see how the MiceChat community felt about the use of walkie-talkies in the Park.

My family has used them in the past to stay in contact with one another, since the kids (5 of them, now ages 15-22) often break up into several smaller groups since they usually each bring a friend.
    Plus the wife and I like to have some alone time when we first get there as well.
    The funny thing is that by halfway thru the first day, the kids usually call us on the walkie-talkies to see where we are so they can hang with us... which, of course, makes us feel pretty good that our kids actually want to hang out with us.

But I digress...

How do you feel about the use of walkie talkies in the Park?
    Walkie talkies seem like a good way to keep in contact. But...why not just use cell phones?! Maybe I'm missing something here, but it just seems like cell phones have better reception, sound, etc. I split up from my parents all the time in DL and we keep in constant constant with our cell phones.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Walkie talkies seem like a good way to keep in contact. But...why not just use cell phones?! Maybe I'm missing something here, but it just seems like cell phones have better reception, sound, etc. I split up from my parents all the time in DL and we keep in constant constant with our cell phones.
    Because Walkie Talkies are more fun.

• Banned User

It's fine. Don't worry about it.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    Because Walkie Talkies are more fun.
    Actually, now that you mention it, I think that they are more fun!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• n/a

Only bad part about the walkie talkies is if they're watching a show another instance where it could affect someone else's experience. Walkie talkies somehow "magically" have the volume get turned up by itself during the day (I know mine @ work does) so when someone finally contacts you it's louder than sin.

At least w/ Cell Phones there's a silent or vibrate.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

For the ages you listed I see absolutely no problem...by that point they really are old enough to go to places without adults.

Under ten, I would stick with the kids.

And I think cell phones are easier.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Don't mind the Walkie Talkies, but when we stayed at DLH, the reception was so bad, lost the Wolfette most of the time.....I'll stick with Cell Phones.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• no flash photography...

we used to do that, but the reception often sucked and sometimes others would be on our channel...we just use cell phones now and yes, I do let my child go around without me at the park. She has since she was about 12 or 13. Of course back then it was only for a couple hours at a time. She proved she can handle it and now at 16 she spends most of the day with her friends. we do communicate often though through the cell phone...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I let my oldest ride a few rides by himself when we go just the three of us(myself and my two boys) He loves Matterhorn and Space but youngest won't ride so he'll ride the two of them. He has to call me when he gets off though. As long as he calls when he's supposed to we're golden

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

There's nothing wrong with using walkie-talkies (unless they're loud and disruptive to others, as stated above).

It's just that breaking up the group sort of defeats the original intent of Disneyland - that being, families having fun together.

I'm thinking specifically of the 8-12 year old crowd, because I hear about that age group separating from their parents to be on their own all the time, but this applies to teenagers too. I realize that every group has their own circumstances, and sometimes there are issues between members (some more personal than others ), and heck I've desperately wanted to get away from some groups I've been with (like MasterGracey and Peoplemover1. Naah just kidding!).

But Disneyland is a wonderful time to share with your family, or your friends, or whoever you're with. If you've ever been by yourself in the parks before (unless you're Darkbeer) you know it isn't nearly as fun as if there's someone there with you to share the magic. Now I also realize that you don't often see kids set off strictly by themselves, but nevertheless, the fact remains that Disneyland is escapism as it is, without escaping from the group.

While I'm on the subject, I realize that there are lands/attractions that appeal to a specific age *coughToontowncough*. This is especially a problem in DCA. For this, I have no advice, because I'm not going to suggest the average 18-year-old to enter Playhouse Disney, nor am I even giving a thought to forcing a frightened kid into Tough to be a Bug.

DCA segregates families against their will. Disneyland avoided this better in years past.

• no flash photography...

Disneyland is also a great place for kids to have independence and freedom in a somewhat safe environment.

• ISTC Instructor

As also mentioned above, a lot of people are already using walkie-talkies and so there is a good chance you will be sharring the same channel with several others. This is usually okay because I usually end up sharring a channel with someone speaking some foreign language and I know my group isn't goint to get confused with that.

Just make sure you recognize each others voice over the radio or make up funky call signs otherwise you may think your meeting your son at space mountain, but it ends up to be some guy named Bob, or vice versa.
    Always follow your dreams...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

My daughter is now the designated fast pass gatherer. She's in the 8th grade and we're pretty comfortable letting her cruise about as long as she has her cell phone. But there's no way we'd let her go around by herself if she was under 10.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    with Walkie talkies you do not pay for air time. use cellphone you still have to pay airtime.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast