Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Popular Princess

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth

i don't have one particular memory. i go to the park once a year for five days, so the happiest day i have there every year is the first day of my trip when i first walk into the park. it's like i'm coming home after a long absence!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Minion

When I was a tiny little girl around the age of 18 months, I gave my pacifier to Mickey. I also said once, "I love you Donald Duck!" I've always been a Disneyland girl!
    The daydream princess

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wickeddisneygurl View Post
    i don't have one particular memory. i go to the park once a year for five days, so the happiest day i have there every year is the first day of my trip when i first walk into the park. it's like i'm coming home after a long absence!
    I have to agree with that, but for me it's usually less than five days.
    The daydream princess

• Artsy Fartsy

One of my happiest memories was about 3 years ago when I took my son (then 6) to the park for the first time. He knew we were going to the park and was so excited to see Tigger. At that time Tigger was his favorite. Just watching him at the park was pure JOY. It totally brought out the kid in me as well. When we finally got to the meet and greet his eyes lit up and he couldn't stop bouncing like tigger. What a sight. To this day he still remembers that day.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

Thanks for the positive thread!

I have only been to Disneyland once - back in '81 with my Dad and my brother. I only remember bits and pieces and sadly we have no photos of the holiday since all my Dad's albums went up in a housefire many years ago.

I do remember waiting in line for an hour and a half in the heat to go on the sub ride. I remember driving the car on Autopia and having real problems keeping it on the track. I remember riding Haunted Mansion (twice!) and loving the ghostly passenger appearing at the end of the ride.

I remember running into Chip & Dale on Main Street - there were no meet 'n' greets with the characters back then, you had to be lucky.

I remember going on Space Mountain at least three times and thinking it was the coolest roller coaster every. I have been a lover of roller coasters ever since with, sadly, very little opportunity to ride them.

But the best memory has to be the Main Street Electrical Parade and the fireworks afterwards. Pure enchantment for any kid (or any adult for that matter)

I am looking forward to going with my daughter in May and experiencing at least some of those things again. But most of all I am looking forward to seeing Disneyland through my five year old's eyes - because they can see the real magic.

And I will make sure to keep some photos in a fireproof container somewhere.
    I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. He shall be my Squishy - Dory

We are always pretty down as the last day of our trip turns into night. One year, a few of my kids had just recently gotten very hooked on the Beatles. We got off of Space Mountain and were walking slowly and aimlessly when we heard an old Beatles song. I turned to my son and said, "Hey, who does this song?" He was happy. We thought it was just one Beatles song. But then we neared the stage and actually saw... the Beatles! Well, actually the Fab Four. But this was Disneyland so to us they were the Beatles. We watched the whole show and had the greatest time. Even though I was never the greatest fan of the Beatles, I had always respected John Lennon and was touched by the Fab Four's performance of Imagine. Anyway the whole show was just what we needed. The mood carried us all the way home that night through our six hour drive and we didn't have to suffer that leaving Disneyland depression.

• Eeyore smiling

I have been very fortunate, while never really living in So Cal, I do live in Northern California and able to visit the parks since the 1950's, often 2 or 3 trips a year. I have seen the Park change and add rides, parades, themes, characters and even add a whole new park with DCA.

My happy thought is Disneyland, works every time.

If I ever get up early in the morning (as in before the dawn) my stomache goes wild with the thought that I am going to Disneyland, because I can not count the times my mom and dad picked us up in our sleep and put us in the car with our pillows and blankets around 2am so that we could be pulling into the parking lot (now DCA) by opening. I remember my dismay when various rides were suddenly closed, forever (like the flying saucer bumper ride and the skyway) but I also remember the joy of the opening of all the new rides, like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash, Space, Big Thunder...well you get the idea. I remember my fear in the 1980's when we all thought that the Bass family threatened to do a hostile takeover and their plan was to break up all the disney assets, hence Disney would no longer exist. I will forever be thankful to Eisner for saving Disneyland for my children and grand children. No matter that he perhaps stayed longer then he should have.

Whenever the Park would turn and evolve I would worry about my old friend being gone, but no matter what the magic of Walt and Disneyland remains strong and I find that I grow and learn to embrace change and appreciate the new disneyland for what it is: DISNEYLAND.

I don't see the minor complaining on the boards as negative, I see it as a group of great Disney fans strugling to adapt as Disneyland evolves. Take it from a 50 year old fan, Disneyland will always be magical and your heart will always know you are in the happiest place on Earth when you walk under the tunnels and embrace all of the magic of main street!

• Loves Fajita!

Thank you all these are so great! I speak of the place to my family on a daily basis. My 5 year old and husband have never been. I cannot put into words what a magical experience a trip to Disneyland is so they just hear me out. However, when we go in September I am certain it will be beyond their imaginations and they will get what all my fuss has been about!

Currently my favorite memory is riding IASW and watching MSEP with my mom when I was 6. My second is watching the Remember fireworks last year after a 13 year break from Disneyland... wow that was emotional for me! But I am certain after I see it all through my Daughters eyes on her first trip this year I will have a whole new set of favorites!

My saddest memory is the full circle trip on DLRR on my last day... its like waving goodbye to the park... also emotional.... but for some reason I do it every time I go....

• Premium Youngling and

I remember it was Sunday night and my aunt and cousin were spending the night. I thought it was odd that they were spending the night on a school night but I did not think anything of it. The next morning, we were woken bright and early and shoved into the car by my mom and aunt (they had the biggest grins on their faces for some reason). We drove past our school and when I asked why, i just got a "wait and see". We got off the freeway in an area that I remembered very well. "Disneyland?" I thought. Nah, couldn't be. And then before I knew it, we were pulling into the ginormous Disneyland parking lot. My aunt went crazy and put her head out the window and yelled out "Were at Disneyland!!!" It was very embarassing but totally worth it. That was probably one of the best trips to Disneyland ever

• Minion

A few random ones:

When I was a kid, I would have recurring dreams about going to DL (actually, I still do to this day). So when we were really there and we would get to this area of red pavement between the parking lot and the park (at least this is how I remember it, it's been years,) I would pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming, and I would be SOOOOOOO happy to really be awake and really be there, and then I would tell my mother that if it still turned out that I was dreaming, she shouldn't wake me up until we were done in the park.

During the Disney Afternoon Live! promotion back in '91 (when I was 10), I had a little autograph book with a pen attatched to it by a cord that seemed to confuse the characters. Donald twirled the book around by the pen, which I found really funny, but the funniest was Don Karnage, the villian from Tale Spin: he was having a little trouble with the pen and my mom reached for the book to help him, when he pretended to indignantly slap her hand, as if to say, "how dare you! I don't need your help!". It probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but the way he did it, it was very was very in-character, and we both found it very funny.

*** After I typed this next part (in Word, where I type all my postings so I can save them as I go), I took another glance at the thread and saw that one of the above posts is remarkably similar, but I swear, this really happened to me, too! I guess my parents and Abominable Snowman's mom and aunt think alike ***

In 1996, when I was 15, my mother and my then-new stepfather and I went on vacation for a few days in L.A. I was told that we were definitely not going to Disneyland during the trip, however, we were going to a special preview screening of the live-action 101 Dalmatians in Santa Monica, (which I was very exited about because I loved the original.) We went to the screening, and were all very dissapointed by the movie, but trying to pretend we had enjoyed it because my stapfather had bought special tickets for it. I was told that we were next going to a farmer's market. None of us are morning people, and the screening had been early in the morning, so I was kind of nodding off a little in the car as we headed down the freeway. Then, I started to notice the freeway signage looking familiar. When I saw "Harbor Blvd." listed on a sign, I was like, "where are we going?" and they both grinned and told me we were actually going to Disneyland. I then told them how dissapointed I was in the movie, but it didn't matter anymore because I was going to Disneyland! Needless to say, I was no longer tired anymore, either . That was also one of the few times we ate at the Blue Bayou, which was probably the highlight of the trip for my mother.

• Banned User

This forum is in a never ending cycle of a bunch of people complaining and a bunch of people complaining about the complaining.

Just because you complain about things doesn't mean you don't love the park. There are things I like and things I don't like. That's life.

• Banned User

My first trip to DL was in 1967. My mom was dying of cancer and took me before she died. I was 9.

Since then, I went throughout my lifetime and then when I married, I took my stepchildren for the last 20 years!

The last trip we all made together was this past November. My kids (stepkids...I raised them) are now 25 & 27 and it was incredible to all be at DL together after a long time of hubby and I going it alone. It really is "Dreams Come True" year for our family.

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
    Was it successfull? You betcha! My friend discovered the magic, her son had a blast, and I was able to re-capture the excitement that I had known since I was born. My first ride on Soarin' was one of the best times of my life.

Thanks for letting me indulge...I'm crying all over my keyboard.
    Pass the tissue! What a great post! Walt has done his job!

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by lozzypop View Post
    Thanks for the positive thread!

I have only been to Disneyland once - back in '81 with my Dad and my brother. I only remember bits and pieces and sadly we have no photos of the holiday since all my Dad's albums went up in a housefire many years ago.

I am looking forward to going with my daughter in May and experiencing at least some of those things again. But most of all I am looking forward to seeing Disneyland through my five year old's eyes - because they can see the real magic.

And I will make sure to keep some photos in a fireproof container somewhere.
    Oh you are going to enjoy it so much with your daughter! Since people on Mice Chat have pictures of everything, I bet you could gather shots of your favorite memories from back then, taken back then, and just drop them into the new photo album. Something like "as it looked when I was a kid" sort of thing. They may not be your photos, but they are your memories. Just a idea!

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

A story one of my coworkers just told me this week. His son who is 8 has never been to DL, in fact he has never been on a real vacation. The reason is that the boy spends weeks at a time in the hospital, when a kid gets a cold they are sick for a few days, if this boy gets a cold it turns into a few weeks deal. he does not go to regular school because he is so far behind they have a teacher come to there house for school.

On one of there last hospital stays the social worker at the hospital contacted the Make a wish foundation when the group came to talk to the child they asked what would want to do. His reply was I want to go to DL, and I want to get there in a yellow hummer and I want to meet CPTN Jack. So In early May the family is going to DL in a yellow hummer, and will meet Captn Jack and go on the POTC.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast