Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• living to haunt

The Happiest Place on Earth

There seems to be a lot of negative threads right now, ok I started one of them. I see a need for all of us to remember why we are in this group. We love Disneyland, Disney, Walt, etc. So forget the ugly decorations, the bad management, the strollers from he!!, and please post your happiest memory of the Happiest Place on Earth. Were you were married, proposed, found out you were going to be a Dad, saw your first view of Mickey Mouse, you get the idea.

Mine would be the first time we took our daughter to Disneyland. We didn't tell her where we were going. We camped at the camp ground the night before ( for all you younger set there used to be campgrounds near the park) since we had just come from a weekend event at Calico Ghost Town. There were two cars and we just packed up in the morning and drove to the driveway. As we went under the sign she just looked and didn't say anything. We parked in Jimminy Cricket and still not much. As we walked through the gates and into the park it hit her...

"WE ARE IN DISNEYLAND, IT IS REAL!!" She was about 8 at the time and she didn't stop bouncing for the entire day. That day for one little girl it was the happiest place on earth!

Next.....

• Googly eyed

Re: The Happiest Place on Earth

Thank you for this. I've been kinda grrrr about all the negativity on here. but anyways!

My happiest memory of Disneyland would be the first time(at least that i can remember) that I went. I was 5 and it was my sisters bday. My parents told us were weren't going to school that day. then said DISNEYLAND! We totally freaked out. I got to meet Jafar and Jasmine. I was sooo excited. I still have the pink sailor hat with my name on it. I love it.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

What a good thread!

I have only been to DL twice, the first was just two years ago. I have always loved all things Disney (thanks Dad) and have been to WDW with my husband and children many times. But I wanted to go to the park that Walt built. When we walked under the railroad for the first time and I saw all the huge trees and then looked over to his apartment over the firehouse with the light on, I started to cry. Then my husband looked at me and he started to cry! Then my kids asked what was going on and he had to explain why we were crying. We were all quite a mess! It makes me smile to think about it though.

What a magical place Walt created!

Only two posts to this thread? I can not believe this! Surely MiceChatters have some nice things to say about Disneyland! Let's hear your story.

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Nancywitt View Post
    Only two posts to this thread? I can not believe this! Surely MiceChatters have some nice things to say about Disneyland! Let's hear your story.
    Thank You I was thinking the same thing. There are many posts on the mad messages but only two on here. I find that very surprising and sad. Well we know we have had fun at Disneyland!

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by superstacie View Post
    Thank you for this. I've been kinda grrrr about all the negativity on here. but anyways!

My happiest memory of Disneyland would be the first time(at least that i can remember) that I went. I was 5 and it was my sisters bday. My parents told us were weren't going to school that day. then said DISNEYLAND! We totally freaked out. I got to meet Jafar and Jasmine. I was sooo excited. I still have the pink sailor hat with my name on it. I love it.
    We recently moved and I found my daughters first pair of ears back from the late 70's! I put them on a shelf next to my 50th ears! Oh the memories! Ever think of making a shadow box with the ears?

• living to haunt

What a good thread!

I have only been to DL twice, the first was just two years ago. I have always loved all things Disney (thanks Dad) and have been to WDW with my husband and children many times. But I wanted to go to the park that Walt built. When we walked under the railroad for the first time and I saw all the huge trees and then looked over to his apartment over the firehouse with the light on, I started to cry. Then my husband looked at me and he started to cry! Then my kids asked what was going on and he had to explain why we were crying. We were all quite a mess! It makes me smile to think about it though.

What a magical place Walt created!
    OK, now I am crying. This is the kind of post I was hoping for, the ones that make you remember the reason we all love the park.
    Thanks for the memory

I love MiceChat and the people on it. I know they all love Disney or they wouldn't be involved with this site. They tend to complain about Disney when things go wrong, and that is good. But I wonder why people are not sharing happy memories on this thread. Many people have viewed this thread but not many have posted on it. It must just be the dark, cold January getting to us. It is hard to think happy thoughts when it gets dark around 5pm.

Does anyone have a happy memory they would like to share?

I'd love to share one....

On our first visit to DL my children were 3 and 19 months old. Both my sons are autistic and my oldest at that time wasn't real big on hugging people or being close to anyone. Anyway, we took the boys to Mickey's house to meet Mickey. My oldest was a bit standoffish at first but Mickey put both his hands on my son's shoulders like a "hug" kinda. My 3 year old took a giant step back and I thought "oh no, he's going to lose it." But he didn't. He stepped back up to Mickey and gave him a big hug!!!!! My husband who never cries, had big tears in his eyes (so did I). It was a very touching moment that we'll never forget.

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalCastle View Post
    I'd love to share one....

On our first visit to DL my children were 3 and 19 months old. Both my sons are autistic and my oldest at that time wasn't real big on hugging people or being close to anyone. Anyway, we took the boys to Mickey's house to meet Mickey. My oldest was a bit standoffish at first but Mickey put both his hands on my son's shoulders like a "hug" kinda. My 3 year old took a giant step back and I thought "oh no, he's going to lose it." But he didn't. He stepped back up to Mickey and gave him a big hug!!!!! My husband who never cries, had big tears in his eyes (so did I). It was a very touching moment that we'll never forget.
    Thank you for sharing! what a wonderful story! That is what DL is all about!

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I have a story that indirectly relates to me. A family friend was visiting WDW and their son is developmentally disabled (in a wheelchair). During parade he waved to Mickey, Mickey made eye contact and this young boy actually stood up to watch Mickey. He only stood for a moment, and with help, but that's the power of Mickey!

• Directly directed

I have so many happy memories! One of my favorites was when I was four and I was chosen to be in the parade. I got to dance with Tigger! It was so special for me.

• Food & Whine Aficianado

So many of my best memories have to do with Disneyland, that it's difficult to narrow down. If this is a multiple choice quiz, my answer is "E - all of the above."

My most favorite DL experience as a young adult was the all-night party for the opening of Star Tours. We arrived at midnight, when the price went down, and the line for the new ride stretched down Main Street. There was a genuine sense of magic and wonder that I hadn't experienced since I was a child taking my first ride on the Matterhorn or POTC. We explored the park for a bit, then got in line and talked and laughed for a few hours--all the while the excitement was building and building. By the time we got to ride, the first glimmers of sunrise were upon us. Although it seems hard to believe now, my friends and I had the same reaction: Best. Ride. Ever. (Although in retrospect...I think not.)

Another favorite memory pre-dates Star Tours by 20 years: The opening of Pirates of the Caribbean. While I didn't get to attend the grand opening, my family and my cousins' family went shortly after it opened. Watching Disney on TV was a weekly family ritual, so I knew all about POTC long before the first boat sailed. I was SO excited, I must have driven my folks crazy! My cousin, Larry, who was the same age as me (6 or 7) ended up crying through the entire ride. My reaction: Best. Ride. Ever.

Best post-40 memory? Having spent the first 32 years of my life living within 20 minutes of DL, I never had the chance to experience the full-immersive experience of staying at an on-property hotel. When DCA opened, I had been living 2,200 miles away for the past 9 years. So I booked a premium view room at the GCH and invited a friend and her 7-year-old son to join me in sharing my first visit to the new park (and the boy's first visit to Disneyland). My friend's husband had passed away from brain cancer only a few months before, and I knew that a trip to Disneyland could be a great healer (it took a lot of convincing, because my friend was an avowed amusement park hater). Was it successfull? You betcha! My friend discovered the magic, her son had a blast, and I was able to re-capture the excitement that I had known since I was born. My first ride on Soarin' was one of the best times of my life.

Thanks for letting me indulge...I'm crying all over my keyboard.
    Last edited by Pugman; 01-26-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

Pugman - what wonderful memories you have of DL! Thanks for sharing!

Talking Re: The Happiest Place on Earth

Although I "lurk" on here everyday, I never really found to much to talk about until now.

There is not really one specific memory that stands clear, it is just the feeling I have everytime I enter the park. I love the way it smells, the happy people, and the lack of reality. It is truly hard for me to be mad, upset, or have many worrries at the "Happiest Place on Earth".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast