Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Little Mermaid Ride That Never Was (Merged)

Here's a link to a recent article from Computer Graphics World magazine that discusses the scrapped Little Mermaid ride that never made it past the planning stages. Enjoy!

http://www.cgw.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?si...06434A290E9D34
    "You’re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway."
    - Walt Disney

The Little Mermaid Ride that never saw the light of day

I found video of the DVD extra that features a virtual walkthrough of the Little Mermaid attraction that was purposed for DLP and DL a long time ago. I know most people here have already seen it, but still it's impressive. And I believe that it is worth WDI giving it another try. We need something in the unused areas of Fantasy Land anyways or something for DCA.

For those of you who haven't seen it, take a look:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fBUMRk-nkdA

Keep in mind this is just something I stumbled upon and does not belong to me.

• Banned User

Re: The Little Mermaid Ride that never saw the light of day

It looks okay, but nothing we really haven't seen before. I'd ultimately vote no.

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    It looks okay, but nothing we really haven't seen before. I'd ultimately vote no.
    Keep in mind this concept was created over fifteen years ago, so if it were to be revised today, it would probably be very updated to todays dark ride standards.

I agree with you. when I saw this on the DVD, I was so sad that it didn't go through. Ideally it would be perfect in Fantasyland (perhaps somewhere close to Storybookland?) but it would fit in just as nicely in DCA as well. I would really like to see this ride somewhere...

then again I may be biased coz I'm a HUGE little mermaid fan.

• Queen Elsa

I would like to see that ride down. If they had put it over at DCA. I know the perfect place to put it. By Ariel's Grotto by the water or be hind it.

Awww they need to make this!

• far, far away from DL

I think it's a great concept. I would love to ride it. It needs a little updated but overall I think it would be a great ride.

Sabrina

Re: Little Mermaid Ride That Never Was

I remember hearing about that when I was very young--I looks like it would have been pretty darn cool!

• rockin butter sponge!

When i was in elementary school i designed the Little Mermaid ride on art paper! I had a whole story and what the cars would look like and everything! Oh such memories!!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

*A bit off-topic* I would much rather have seen the Subs themed to "The Little Mermaid" rather than "Finding Nemo". Of course, I'd really rather there be no animated movie tie-in at all.
    Just not a big computer animation fan, or "Nemo" fan I suppose.. I'd rather see the ride given over to a real animated film, rather than a...ummm.."generated" one.

I love the simplicity and general warm fuzzies of dark rides. I wish there were more and I would have loved to see this one happen. I'd love to see one for as many of the movies as possible! Err... yeah.
    I've stuck my foot in my mouth so many times I don't think I'll ever get rid of the taste.

•   
    • Damn Good Burger!

There was a thread on this a couple of months ago. You may want to check it out.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...hlight=mermaid

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    *A bit off-topic* I would much rather have seen the Subs themed to "The Little Mermaid" rather than "Finding Nemo". Of course, I'd really rather there be no animated movie tie-in at all.
    Just not a big computer animation fan, or "Nemo" fan I suppose.. I'd rather see the ride given over to a real animated film, rather than a...ummm.."generated" one.
    You know, this actually sounds like a good idea. Especially with the fact that there used to be real live "mermaids" in the lagoon. Plus, there was that area where you went through the lost city of Atlantis.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

The Little Mermaid was a suggestion for the update on the Subs, but it was nixed, and I can see why.

What you guys are forgetting is that half of the movie takes place on land, not underwater. You wouldn't even be able to do the "Kiss the Girl" scene. Wouldn't suffice, IMO.

Give Nemo a chance. I'm sorry that you might not like the movie, but a lot of other people do on a majority scale. I think it's the best movie to come out in a long time from Disney, and the best Pixar movie. I have faith.

What WDI came up with for the dark ride of Little Mermaid was the solution, and I still have faith that it could be utilized. Now if only Rasulo would let Tony Baxter make his dream attraction a reality. Tony has said apparently that if we all send in enough wishes for the attraction to be uilt for us in Anahiem, it will be. Send in your requests guys! You can email Disneyland even...go to the contact us page and there will be the form

By the way everyone, that youtube video is good and all, but the clarity of that compared to watching the DVD is a HUGE difference, and the attraction section is worth the price of the DVD alone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast