Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• living to haunt

Madame Leota's Candles?

I run a online list of home, charity, and small haunted houses. This list is for people to learn and share ideas on how to make their haunted house better. Most of these people are home haunters, yard haunters, or charity haunts. We run the largest nonprofit all volunteer haunt in Northern Califoria. That being said, this question just came up on the list and I know someone here will be able to help us out! So who has the knowledge?

"Does anyone know anything about Madame Leota's new candles???

I made a quick stop at Disneyland today after a production meeting in
    Anaheim. I wanted to see the new attic bride, which turns out to be
    pretty cool; however, I was most impressed with the faux-flame candles
    which cover Madame Leota's table in the seance room. These are the
    coolest faux candle flames ever! If anyone has any info about these
    candle flames, please share!!!"

OK all wize and powerful chatters who knows????

Re: Madame Leota's Candles?

Memory a bit weak - I think they are made up of three bulbs (leds?) that are arranged vertically (unlike EFX-TEK's "WICKLED") that flash at different rates. The bottom one is on constantly (or almost), and the middle one blinks at a slower rate than the top one.

Great idea for a thread as more people making observations of this effect will generate more info for those of us who will attempt to duplicate it at home.

Any input or pictures would be very helpful. Based on Frogberto's Haunted Mansion photographs thread and the quality of those pictures - we should put him on it !!!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

The LED candles (in different size configurations) are sold on smarthome.com, and many other sites. You can create cool effects with these commercially produced items. They come in battery-operated models as well as AC versions. Many are sculpted to simulate old wax drippings, melted, slumped candle rims, etc.

• The pride is back.

Cool thread...thanks!

For home use of this effect that isn't HM-related, Philips has come out with an LED candle called Aurelle that comes in its own frosted candle holder in a few different shapes. My Beloved and I have a couple for those romantic dinners at home

I've never seen this effect up close (I live in Florida where our mansion suffers greatly) but I have bought some pretty convincing fake candle flames that you can find on InspiredLighting.com or here's the direct link to the actual bulb: http://www.inspiredlighting.com/inde...&ProdID=2&HS=1 the bulb is conceled under a plastic yellowish cover in the shape of a cande flam and every few seconds wiggles giving it a realistic look, there are some good demonstration clips on the site of them in action, I have 3 of my own, and on Halloween at my Haunted no one gave them a second thought as to if they were real or not. Hope that helps!

• Senior Minion

Ok! So now I'm wondering if I could have the name of the site. I'd love to go up North and check out some of these places during October (where I'm assuming that most people put their stuff up). PM if you could please, thanks.

Incidentally, those candles are placed there to provide little pinpoints of light on Leota's chrystal ball so there won't just be one from the projector.

• Head Salesman

The last time I was on HM, I looked at Leota's candles as I went through. If memory serves, the "flames" did wiggle, which I thought was kinda cool and very realistic. It was as if an ever-so-slight breeze had brushed up along the flame.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    The LED candles (in different size configurations) are sold on smarthome.com, and many other sites. You can create cool effects with these commercially produced items. They come in battery-operated models as well as AC versions. Many are sculpted to simulate old wax drippings, melted, slumped candle rims, etc.
    Thanks for the idea on where to find them. See what Mice Chatters probably don't know is that most haunters bow to the Haunted Mansion as the great haunted house. Not the scariest but the fact that you control where the people look by the use of the doom buggies, and all the special effects with no actors, it is a great way to work a haunt. We have had many a haunt gathering at Disneyland because Walts look and imagination is a lot like someone in our line of business.

Thanks for all the feedback on this thread!

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by MstGracey View Post
    I've never seen this effect up close (I live in Florida where our mansion suffers greatly) but I have bought some pretty convincing fake candle flames that you can find on InspiredLighting.com or here's the direct link to the actual bulb: http://www.inspiredlighting.com/inde...&ProdID=2&HS=1 the bulb is conceled under a plastic yellowish cover in the shape of a cande flam and every few seconds wiggles giving it a realistic look, there are some good demonstration clips on the site of them in action, I have 3 of my own, and on Halloween at my Haunted no one gave them a second thought as to if they were real or not. Hope that helps!
    Well it seems like it is time for you to come out here to California and see the original. It really is a great ride! Thanks for the great link! WTG Mouse Chatters for solving another impossible question.

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch74 View Post
    Ok! So now I'm wondering if I could have the name of the site. I'd love to go up North and check out some of these places during October (where I'm assuming that most people put their stuff up). PM if you could please, thanks.
    Hi Stich,
    Our haunt is called Dragon's Head Inn. We are a not for profit all volunteer group and this is our 15th year doing a haunt. Our website is www.dragonsheadinn.com

Please check it out and if you want to come up we would love to have you. There are several haunts in Northern California that are well worth the drive.

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Sam View Post
    The last time I was on HM, I looked at Leota's candles as I went through. If memory serves, the "flames" did wiggle, which I thought was kinda cool and very realistic. It was as if an ever-so-slight breeze had brushed up along the flame.
    Someone told me that her crystal ball was "floating" last time they went. This was before the NBC makeover. Was it ever floating?
    thanks

• no flash photography...

you can buy small tealight bulbs. The flicker just like a candle. I've seent hem at michaels and on qvc.

Looking at a real candle vs. dimming lights, the make or break detail is the movement of the flame. Watch shadows on the wall the next time you have a candle lit and the room is really dark - study the "movement".

A flicker bulb generally will not put out enough light but moves. The dimming tea light, while a nice effect does not "move" and the light output is fixed. Flicker circuits give a haunter very good control over the amount of light but are also restricted to the only one source of light problem. Real flame is right out.

It boils down to how much a haunter wants to plus the effect. ladydragon55, do you use any basic stamp type products? I'm prototyping an idea for this in the spring if you want to email me off list later.

Greg

• It's all about Theme!

The lights are probably LED lights or Fiber Optic lights.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast