Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• It's all nonsense

Angry Peddlers on Harbor Blvd.

Has anyone else encountered the multiple peddlers that seem to litter the area right accross from the Harbor Blvd. entrance? Last time there was even a guy trying to sell his up and coming rap album which struck me as odd because of the mostly family demographic coming from the parks.

I know there's probably not much anyone can do about this but it's annoying to me. It reminds me of walking the streets of Cabo San Lucas while everyone tries to sell you cheap silver and time shares.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Peddlers on Harbor Blvd.

Being a local it doesn't really bother me what goes on Harbor Blvd. Harbor Blvd. is actually pretty tame compared to other areas of the county. People should worry more about the poverty in Stanton or the gang problems in Santa Ana more than they should about some cheesy vendor across the street from the Disneyland Harbor Blvd. entrance.

In fact this is the one thing about Walt Disney that really irritates me. If he were alive today, I would have told him to lighten up when it comes to all the seediness that sprang up on Harbor and Katella after he built the park. People love Disneyland for what it is inside. He even built a berm to reinforce that fact and he still didn't like all the seediness right across the street. If he only knew then what we know now about the surrounding areas...

• Hooterville, USA

I think that when Disney bought up all of the surrounding apartments and motels, Anaheim became a better place. It is now very attractive and gives the impression that it is a safer place.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Senior Minion

I wasn't aware of such a thing. But then that's because I use the I-5 and get off at Disneyland Dr., then take the bridge into the parking structure, so my time on the city streets is VERY limited.

Yet, I could see how this would detract from your Disneyland experience. I just hope they never get to the point where they start hawking their stuff at the freeway exits.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Being a local it doesn't really bother me what goes on Harbor Blvd. Harbor Blvd. is actually pretty tame compared to other areas of the county. People should worry more about the poverty in Stanton or the gang problems in Santa Ana more than they should about some cheesy vendor across the street from the Disneyland Harbor Blvd. entrance.

In fact this is the one thing about Walt Disney that really irritates me. If he were alive today, I would have told him to lighten up when it comes to all the seediness that sprang up on Harbor and Katella after he built the park. People love Disneyland for what it is inside. He even built a berm to reinforce that fact and he still didn't like all the seediness right across the street. If he only knew then what we know now about the surrounding areas...

First off, to put it bluntly, I don't care about those other areas because I'm not vacationing there.

Second. If you have a really nice house and pay meticulous attention to your front yard, how would you feel if your neighbors painted their house purple with pink polka dots and parked their El Camino on their front yard? That to me is the equivilant to visitng DL and then seeing the 'seediness' across the street.

• white and nerdy

I guess I see them, but I don't mind them. They ain't chasing me with pointy sticks, so... Live and let live.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Queen of Sarcasm

I have never noticed this before. I had no idea it was going on. I guess I wouldn't be too concerned if it is just a person or two. I would be more concerned if things started happening in conjunction with it such as the crime rate going up in the area or something along those lines. I look at it as "water sliding off the back" more than anything else.

• rockin butter sponge!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    First off, to put it bluntly, I don't care about those other areas because I'm not vacationing there.

Second. If you have a really nice house and pay meticulous attention to your front yard, how would you feel if your neighbors painted their house purple with pink polka dots and parked their El Camino on their front yard? That to me is the equivilant to visitng DL and then seeing the 'seediness' across the street.
    That is why they built the Disney Drive offramp. Live it, love it, USE IT!

And honestly.. who vacations IN Anaheim? I mean, EEEW! You aren't even really vacationing IN Anaheim! Stay at the resort or nearby, don't go wandering around town, just stick to your shuttle bus! If you want to wander around, take the 55 over to Newport Beach and wander around Balboa. Seriously, the only thing worthwhile in Anaheim is Disneyland Resort, the convention center and Angels Stadium.. but you take a car to visit these places.
    Last edited by Mineux; 01-25-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: edited for snarkiness

• white and nerdy

perhaps the definition of "seediness" is what makes me disagree with you. I don't see graffiti, gang activity, kids tossing pennies on the side of a convenient store, that sort of thing. If I see some fella with a cart full of puppets or someone asking me if I like rap music.... It just doesn't seem wrong to me. And I come from a small town where a cigarette on the side of the road seems out of place.

it seems to me that the area surrounding Disneyland is pretty much what you would expect. Hotels, restaurants, gift shops, and the like. I don't

As far as the neighbor example you gave.. I wouldn't mind what they do to their house, it's their property. Besides, if life has taught me anything it's to always trust someone with an El Camino

Signed, An El Camino Owner.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    perhaps the definition of "seediness" is what makes me disagree with you. I don't see graffiti, gang activity, kids tossing pennies on the side of a convenient store, that sort of thing. If I see some fella with a cart full of puppets or someone asking me if I like rap music.... It just doesn't seem wrong to me. And I come from a small town where a cigarette on the side of the road seems out of place.

it seems to me that the area surrounding Disneyland is pretty much what you would expect. Hotels, restaurants, gift shops, and the like. I don't

As far as the neighbor example you gave.. I wouldn't mind what they do to their house, it's their property. Besides, if life has taught me anything it's to always trust someone with an El Camino

Signed, An El Camino Owner.
    I get what your saying. I guess I would feel better about it if the person selling something just had a sign or something, rather than verbally trying to get me to try something like a carnival barker.

• white and nerdy

I get what your saying. I guess I would feel better about it if the person selling something just had a sign or something, rather than verbally trying to get me to try something like a carnival barker.
    That's true, and they would, no doubt, be more successful in their business venture.

Funny story, this rap peddler comes up to me and asks what kind of music I like. i say, "Mostly Bluegrass, but if I'm feeling naughty I turn on some Country."

Left me alone after that.

• rockin butter sponge!

ow would you feel if your neighbors painted their house purple with pink polka dots
    Umm, you just described Toon Town..

• Boat shoes all day long

There are a few good things about the 'seediness":

- They are EXCELLENT window washers, whether invited or not!

- Hong Kong China is a great take out service and they deliver to all the hotels.

- You can get a hamburger for less than 6 dollars.

- If you want to stay an extra day, the scalpers have some great deals!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Mineux View Post
    That is why they built the Disney Drive offramp. Live it, love it, USE IT!

And honestly.. who vacations IN Anaheim? I mean, EEEW! You aren't even really vacationing IN Anaheim! Stay at the resort or nearby, don't go wandering around town, just stick to your shuttle bus! If you want to wander around, take the 55 over to Newport Beach and wander around Balboa. Seriously, the only thing worthwhile in Anaheim is Disneyland Resort, the convention center and Angels Stadium.. but you take a car to visit these places.
    It is so funny, when people come on this site asking where they should stay when they visit DLR I almost NEVER reccommend one of the hotels around the resort. You are right -- EEEW! There are so many nice hotels in areas like Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, and other areas that are in very nice areas and are near the ocean and probably treat their guests a lot better than the hotels around DLR. Also, you don't have the being part of the herd feeling that you get at a hotel at the DLR.

Sorry for getting off topic, but thought I would add my thoughts to this opinion...

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It is so funny, when people come on this site asking where they should stay when they visit DLR I almost NEVER reccommend one of the hotels around the resort. You are right -- EEEW!
    I somewhat agree with this statement. However messing with parking lots and trams with a stroller is a pain in the butt.

I've stayed on Harbor before and I either didn't notice people selling things, or they just weren't there before we went a few weeks ago.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast