Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Cost of maintaining FastPass? Worth it?

Just curious - - Does anyone have an idea how much it costs to maintain the FastPass system, machines, queues, extra personnel to attend FastPass lines at attractions, tickets, power, infrastructure, etc.?

What does Disney get out of the system, business-wise? Do guests really spend more because they aren't in line?

What with the additional crowding on walkways, does FastPass further limit capacity of the park (no one in line)?

Since there must be a capital expense attached to running all of this, would it be a sufficient budget to support the return of several additional capacity enhancing attractions instead? I'd certainly rather see the money spent that way... the queues were designed to do a job.

• Premium Youngling and

Re: Cost of maintaining FastPass? Worth it?

People spend more money when they get FP's because if they arent in line, they are probably buying something

Theoretically.
    I don't know if there's any evidence of it.

When the FastPass system was first introduced at Disneyland, each ticket represented an additional seven dollars in revenue.

I have no idea how much the system is adding to sales now.

If the FastPass ticket dispensers were used to offer pay-per-play options, the system might become even more profitable. But, I don't like the way it is configured at the moment. All the problems that people cite can be corrected fairly easily.

• Minion

>>When the FastPass system was first introduced at Disneyland, each ticket represented an additional seven dollars in revenue.<<

In actuality - or was that the theory/pitch on which it was sold?

That figure comes from the time when the system was being tested at Space Mountain. During that phase, the budgets to implement the initiative throughout Disneyland and the rest of the Disney empire were based on that early success. It clearly impressed people inside the company because in short order all the major attractions and even some of the more minor ones had FastPass. And, the guest satisfaction numbers were positively affected, as well.

The principle behind FastPass really does work; there isn't a reason to force guests to physically hold their positions in the order in which they arrive at an overutilized attraction. But, the way the system is configured still leaves much to be desired. So, I would be happy if Disney attempted to engineer it better and make it fit better in the Disneyland show.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    What does Disney get out of the system, business-wise?
    Guests that enjoy their visit more.. even if it were a loss venture, its worth it for that. But happy guests tend to be more free with their wallet. They also come back.

What with the additional crowding on walkways, does FastPass further limit capacity of the park (no one in line)?
    Care to quantify this 'additional crowding'? Its a perception. No one cares to mention the increased attendance or the near lack of off-season anymore.. nope.. must be those darn fastpass machines!

... the queues were designed to do a job.
    So fix them. The problem is DL's space and their implementation where they tried to fit FP into the existing spaces. Do it proper and fix the queues and you'd have less complaining.

Nearly all the complaining about FP comes from DLR frequenters.. ironically the same who talk about how they continue to take advantage of it (even stretch the boundaries of the intended rules).

• Minion

>>Nearly all the complaining about FP comes from DLR frequenters.. ironically the same who talk about how they continue to take advantage of it (even stretch the boundaries of the intended rules).<<

I seldom use it.

Gotta wonder if additional attractions would make people happier than FastPass - or are they just that fixated on Splash Mountain and the one or two other rides for which it's actually useful?

If you were in charge of a fixed DL budget, is that the way you would spend it for the greatest benefit to guests?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So fix them. The problem is DL's space and their implementation where they tried to fit FP into the existing spaces. Do it proper and fix the queues and you'd have less complaining.

Nearly all the complaining about FP comes from DLR frequenters.. ironically the same who talk about how they continue to take advantage of it (even stretch the boundaries of the intended rules).
    I've always wondered if it be found acceptable for Disney to limit FastPass use on Annual Pass Holders.

• Minion

More directly, would you rather have more rides for the operating expense or FastPass?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

More directly, would you rather have more rides for the operating expense or FastPass?
    We can't answer that. If any of that $7 PragmaticIdealist mentioned is profit, then FastPass is more beneficial.

• Minion

>>That figure comes from the time when the system was being tested at Space Mountain. During that phase, the budgets to implement the initiative throughout Disneyland and the rest of the Disney empire were based on that early success.<<

So the seven dollar figure was used to sell some exec's larger program?

Hmmmm. I find such a high figure suspect. I mean, to my memory, I have never spent one dime more or less than I would have before FastPass was installed, at best I got more rides on other things, not more purchases or eats. Does anyone else feel they truly spend more with FastPass in effect? (ignoring the approval/pleasure principle - we know a lot of people like having it).

Isn't it somewhat of a corporate tradition to fudge facts to help sell a project?
    Last edited by merlinjones; 01-25-2007 at 06:06 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Gotta wonder if additional attractions would make people happier than FastPass - or are they just that fixated on Splash Mountain and the one or two other rides for which it's actually useful?
    Its benefical on many.

If you were in charge of a fixed DL budget, is that the way you would spend it for the greatest benefit to guests?
    If I were so worried about hardware I've already bought and installed.. and the cost of ONE extra line monitor.. I'd look at much more specialized tasks to remove that do not benefit the general pop.

Or remove one or two redundant toy carts.. or one balloon person on main street. Or maybe one or two crowd control people.. or any multitude of things.

Why target something that BENEFITS guests and ALL guests? The people who don't like it are the people who pop into the park for a short bit and don't want to wait for a FP return window so blame FP on making their stand-by line longer.

• insufferable know-it-all

Guest perception would hold that it works. My father, a total Disneyland muggle, loved it and said he'd never wanna do DL again without it. Nevermind all the arguments I made against it. Of course, he was never one to need to do a million things in a day, so the way he sees it, he still gets on the usual number of rides, but for some of them he's waiting in line less time, which means more time relaxing or means he can go home early (that's my parents for ya...) So his perception is that it's a benefit. And in economics, consumer perceptions figure in very strongly (as economists learned the hard way in the 70's)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

>>The people who don't like it are the people who pop into the park for a short bit and don't want to wait for a FP return window so blame FP on making their stand-by line longer.<<

Well, I cop to that. It works for a long day with out of town guests, but I won't ride Splash Mountain or Space Mountain anymore on a crowded day if I'm just popping in there for a few hours, as the return is at 10 PM or already gone altogether and standby is ridiculous. It was easier to ride those things before FP.

But that's beyond the actual economic case I'm exploring... I'm not buying more corn dogs either way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast