Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Comin' at ya!

Can some explain YOAMD to me?

OK this may sound stupid, but I am so confused. I thought it was just some promotional thing, but now I'm seeing this celebrity pictures of disney characters and stuff..What exactly is it? I know they give away prizes and stuff, but to who and what kinda stuff? Crappy stuff or quality? Can I just get the complete Low-Down (please, refrain from expressing your anger and actually answer truthfully).
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Banned User

Re: Can some explain YOAMD to me?

Basically they give away stuff to families and little kids and that fulfills some sort of dreams.

• Closed Account

the YOMD is Disneys "We Ran Out of Ideas After the 50th So we Have to REMARKET the SAME Experiences Weve been doing for 51 Years And Say its NEW Without Spending Money And Make It Seem HIP AND EDGY With Celebreties"

• Comin' at ya!

What's with the celebrity pictures? Does that have to do with anything or just publicity stunt?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
    ... publicity stunt?
    Yes.... and an expensive one at that.

Why in the world do the Disney destinations need celebrity endorsements?

When I see David Beckham on that horse, I just see a huge waste of money by an executive that doesn't know what he's doing. But, maybe I don't get it because I don't watch soccer.

• Earth Intruder

What's with the celebrity pictures? Does that have to do with anything or just publicity stunt?
    A "publicity stunt" and "promotional materials" are two different things entirely. The celeb pix are "promotional materials" for the YOAMD.

(A "publicity stunt" would be like, Britney Spears showing her "fuzzy white rabbit" on the Alice ride while paparazzi snapped photos. )

Anyway, the YOAMD is basically a prize giveaway in which packs of cast members hand out prizes semi-randomly, such as free churros, fastpasses, and other "dreams". (Though many of the "dreams" are criticized as super-lame like doing a cast member's job of announcements, or free photopasses (which are ALREADY free), things like that.) There are larger prizes, such as cruises, a night in the Mickey Suite at the Disneyland Hotel, or a night in Cinderella's Castle at WDW (if you are in WDW), etc. But those things aren't quite as "random" and are only handed out to people who fit specific criteria (presumably, families).

So you may be walking out of Pirates and a CM may come up to you and say "congrats, your dream has come true! You win a free free photopass!" And then they hand you a button saying "my dream came true" with the free photopass, like you've always dreamed of one.

That's basically it, besides a bunch of decorations that look like rejected My Little Pony ideas, such as fluffy clouds, graffiti swirls and pastel leaves.

There are a million threads on why all of this is not working out quite as planned, why the decorations are terrible, why the promotion leaves a bad taste in people's mouths, etc. etc. so I am not going to rehash that all there, but thats a good overview
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    When I see David Beckham on that horse, I just see a huge waste of money by an executive that doesn't know what he's doing. But, maybe I don't get it because I don't watch soccer.
    I see something fun, creative and beautiful.

My dream today is for some people on here to think outside their own grandiose, yet narrow expectations of Disney.

Celebrities getting in on the fun is, well, FUN!

And Disneyand has ALWAYS had celebrities help promote it, even if only indirectly. Hell, even the promotional materials for Disneyland tout the dignitaries and celebrities who have visited the place over the years, even before the Mess of a Million Dreams. So I have absolutely no problem with that.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

• Comin' at ya!

The question is: DId they do it because they WANTED to, or were they just payed tons of money and couldn't say no?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Yes.... and an expensive one at that.

Why in the world do the Disney destinations need celebrity endorsements?

David Beckham -- PI, you WILL be watching soccer. Even if you are not a soccer fan, and I admit I don't know anything about the sport, his signing on with the LA Galaxy is going to make soccer in this country a LOT bigger than it is now. At the very least it is going to make a lot more people aware of the sport.

Creating a photo with David Beckham is just pure genious as far as overall marketing is concerned. Especially in the local market.

• Earth Intruder

The question is: DId they do it because they WANTED to, or were they just payed tons of money and couldn't say no?
    Not sure those are the only two options.

I'm sure Disney had the idea to do these pictures, approached these celebs (or their agents), offered to pay them a certain amount, the amount seemed reasonable enough to these celebs (or their agents) and they said yes. Then they went to a photo shoot, snap snap snap, where's my check, now let's go shopping at Prada.

• Comin' at ya!

Well I would just want to know if they actually wanted to do it for the aspect of being apart of disney or just for the money.

• Earth Intruder

Well I would just want to know if they actually wanted to do it for the aspect of being apart of disney or just for the money.
    If you're asking whether the celebrities approached Disney to do the photos, or whether the celebs did the photos out of the goodness of their hearts because they believed in the product, I think the answer is a safe "hell, no."

The celebs may believe in all this, and have enjoyed dressing up, posing for Annie and enjoy the way the pictures turned out, but would they have done it if they weren't getting paid SOMETHING? No.

• Up is Down

a lot of the prizes well the big ones are handed out to families but ones like dream fast passes which i have won 4 times or a saved standing area for F! which I was sort of won twice or hats which I have one or the pins are not. The grand marshall of the parade is always a family.... the cruises would I think be given out to familes but the drawing of that is random.... I talked to a dream cm and they said how the big ones worked was they were given a ride and a seat on that ride at a certain time and whoever was sitting there won.... so anyone can win those but it usually ends up being familes because..... a lot of familes go to the park.
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

Precisely,... I think people are becoming more sophisticated about interpreting celebrity endorsements.

I felt the same way, incidentally, about the gobs of money Disney paid to that figure skater who was clubbed in the knees (I forgot her name.) or to Tiger Woods. I can't imagine that these kinds of deals are effective from Disney's standpoint. Having said that, I do agree that the "Sleeping Beauty" and "Cinderella" shots are well-done.

This kind of reminder advertising reflects a mindset on the part of the leadership of Parks and Resorts that they are mature while I happen to disagree. Further earnings growth is quite possible with some old-fashioned Disney imagination.

In fact, the future is limitless, if Disney doesn't take the easy route.

The "Year of a Million Dreams" is the easy route, and it signals the beginning of the end.

• The Happiest Cynic

Precisely,... I think people are becoming more sophisticated about interpreting celebrity endorsements.

I felt the same way, incidentally, about the gobs of money Disney paid to that figure skater who was clubbed in the knees (I forgot her name.) or to Tiger Woods. I can't imagine that these kinds of deals are effective from Disney's standpoint. Having said that, I do agree that the "Sleeping Beauty" and "Cinderella" shots are well-done.

This kind of reminder advertising reflects a mindset on the part of the leadership of Parks and Resorts that they are mature while I happen to disagree. Further earnings growth is quite possible with some old-fashioned Disney imagination.

In fact, the future is limitless, if Disney doesn't take the easy route.

The "Year of a Million Dreams" is the easy route, and it signals the beginning of the end.
    If by "sophisticated" you mean "extremely cynical", then OK. I see a lot of anger and assumptions and lazy cynicism but not a lot of "sophistication".

Those new photos are perhaps the most tasteful and classy promotional photos Disney has ever done. That someone was paid a lot of money to pose for them... why in the world would that bother anyone? What does it even matter to you? It doesn't effect you at all.

Simply pointing out that someone made money posing for promotional photos... is not a criticism. It's lazy, angry cynicism masquerading as insightful commentary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast