Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• Minion

Re: New Toy Story Mania! concept art.(merged)

>>Well Circle Vison had two movies playing when it shut down. <<

Yes, they made new ones in the Walt Disney Productions era.

• Minion

>>Who cares what Toy Story has to do with Midway Games.<<

Well, I do.

I mean, it could be a great ride, so I'm not knocking that, but using out-of-context characters won't help to fix DCA's "kitchen sink" theming problem - - a major disconnect with locals and tourists alike. Isn't that why the expensive "placemeaking"?

Disneyland was all about creating a convincing fictional themed environment in its "lands". DCA's architects don't seem to care about (or get) that concept at all. Bug Lands under Terror Towers next to carnival rides next to cultural museum films - - and all sort-of in California. I don't get it.

They need a sensible longterm creative plan and should stop adding things until they get one

• Banned User

Well
    They're toys.
    And it's a game.

It's kind of like one of those bad children books who uses a franchisable series of characters in an out of context notion, which is not considered canon.

So you're telling me that a ride has to be canon to the original context of Toy Story? Are rides supposed to stay within canon? Is there an unwritten rule/law that says characters can only do what they original and conceptially were released for?

• Minion

>>So you're telling me that a ride has to be canon to the original context of Toy Story? Are rides supposed to stay within canon? Is there an unwritten rule/law that says characters can only do what they original and conceptially were released for?<<

Not at all. Who cares about the Toy Story canon?

I'm saying what do fantasy/living human-sized toys from the 90's have to do with a "realistic" California pier that is being re-themed to the 20's? I don't get it as an immersive theme park element. The cartoon characters should relate to the 20's/30's or whatever period they are choosing for this world that is being created.

Just like I don't get Winnie-the-Pooh, a living stuffed animal from a British child's imaginary life and nursery, is doing in the American frontier. It spoils the "plausible impossible". He belongs only in Fantasyland.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 03-19-2007 at 02:07 PM.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Im excited for this not so much as the Subs right now since there closer to opening day now. But Im very happy DCA is getting a family attraction weather there be Toy Story or not, it sounds very promissing from the way its been leaked out and talked about at the press event, it fits DCA with the midway theme not so much MGM but I can live with it. The way I see it is that it will add to DCA attraction roster better than a tortilla/bread tour or wine movie can ever add. Though I do love the free tortillas so no complaint here
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>So you're telling me that a ride has to be canon to the original context of Toy Story? Are rides supposed to stay within canon? Is there an unwritten rule/law that says characters can only do what they original and conceptially were released for?<<

Not at all. Who cares about the Toy Story canon?

I'm saying what do fantasy/living human-sized toys from the 90's have to do with a "realistic" California pier that is being re-themed to the 20's? I don't get it as an immersive theme park element. The cartoon characters should relate to the 20's/30's or whatever period they are choosing for this world that is being created.

Just like I don't get Winnie-the-Pooh, a living stuffed animal from a British child's imaginary life and nursery, is doing in the American frontier. It spoils the "plausible impossible". He belongs only in Fantasyland.

It has nothing to do with California, just as much as Nemo has nothing to do with TL...anyways. It's a theme park. Yes, it's a jumblomess (I made that word up) but I feel that this is going to help overally with the refreshing theme of DCA. (now becoming my fourth fav park).

One final note before I get back to work:
    Tell me that this 'attraction' won't help with attendance.
    Tell me that this 'attraction' won't get more media attention that is needed, very needed, to DCA.
    Tell me that people aren't going to love it. (Not saying everyone will...)

Seriously. Right now, nearly anything can help DCA.

• Minion

>>One final note before I get back to work:
    Tell me that this 'attraction' won't get more media attention that is needed, very needed, to DCA.
    Tell me that people aren't going to love it. (Not saying everyone will...)<<

I'm sure these are true, but what would help DCA's marketing most longterm is to have some sort of marketable identity other than being that "whateverland" across from Disneyland.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    Also, BLAB is not Toy Story themed, it is Buzz Lightyear themed, a character from Toy Story. No other characters (sans Zurg(sp?)) from Toy Story are in that ride.
    Our TS heroes were encased in an arcade game with some Little Green Men (also featured on BLAB) at one point, but do carry on...
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    Also, BLAB is not Toy Story themed, it is Buzz Lightyear themed, a character from Toy Story. No other characters (sans Zurg(sp?)) from Toy Story are in that ride.
    That's funny. I wonder why it says "Inspired by Disney-Pixar's Toy Story 2" on the Attraction building then?

Also - Buzz Lightyear, Zurg, and the Little Green Men are Toy Story characters, the fact that they are characters in Toy Story spin-off programs matters not, they're from the Toy Story universe, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>One final note before I get back to work:
    Tell me that people aren't going to love it. (Not saying everyone will...)<<

I'm sure these are true, but what would help DCA's marketing most longterm is to have some sort of marketable identity other than being that "whateverland" across from Disneyland.
    Whateverland, indeed. DCA's theme is painfully muddled, and adding 1990s-era Toys into a soon-to-be '20s Pier is pathetic (non)themeing. Disney wonders why DCA is struggling? Perhaps its because the theme was so weak it was pathetic when the park opened. Strengthening that theme, rather than watering it down and muddling even more, is what should be happening.

• a kiss for a thimball

Escondido CA (1hr 15min from door to parked!)

Toy Story Mania??

what is this thing that they are doing? i saw the bullitin on the disneyland site but what is it?
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
    Shines in the night for you
    To tell you that the dreams you plan
    Really can come true

• It's all nonsense

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567