Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

New Toy Story Mania! concept art.(merged)

A member who goes by the name of Mikey V on my Disneyland Resort MySpace group leaked the following images of Toy Story Mania! concept art.

I don't know where they came from, but I thought you all might be interested.

Along with the images, he posted the following attraction description:
    It's the wondrous world of Woody the Cowboy, Buzz Lightyear and Green Army Men. And coming in 2008, guests of Walt Disney World and Disneyland resorts get to ride and play inside an energy-filled toybox of fun with the debut on both coasts of "Toy Story Mania."

Celebrating the Disney/Pixar classics "Toy Story" and "Toy Story II," "Toy Story Mania" will take the interactive ride-game experience to exciting new heights. High-tech yet rooted in classic midway games of skill, "Toy Story Mania" will match the delightful characters of the films with games that best suit their very animated personalitites.

Fun for the whole family, "Toy Story Mania" will immerse guests of Disney-MGM Studios and Disney's California Adventure into the "Toy Story" world as never before. Donning 3-D glasses, guests shrink to the size of a toy, and hop into fanciful ride vehicles that travel and twist along a colorful midway-themed route. Upon arriving at each game booth, they will aim for animated targets using their own special on-board "toy cannon."

As guests score points, they will be cheered on by favorite "Toy Story" friends like Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Hamm, Bo Peep, and the Little Green Men. Hidden targets garner players extra points and lead to different levels of play. The energy of the characters, the competition with other riders and the hilarious, unpredictable game action make this a unique experience that families will want to try again and again.

The attraction features games that audiences of all ages and skills- from beginner to serious gamer- can enjoy. No matter how many times guests return to ride and play, they can be sure every ride-throught will be different. Players pair up and sit side-by-side for a friendly competition that delivers an ever-changing variety of targets and surprises.

...What do you guys think?

The Mr. Potato Head audio-animatronic looks interesting, and it appears he'll be part of the queue. But the rest of it looks terribly dull. I'm not judging it on the concept art though. If I understand the new technology even a little bit, I'm guessing that its just simply far too complex to convey in concept art, and the actual experience will far exceed the conceptual paintings.

• Sock Puppet

5 day walk from Disneyland, 9 with traffic.

Thumbs up Re: New Toy Story Mania! concept art.

Looks interesting!

EDIT: (remembered something) I've seen on Google Patent Search, the patent for this illusion technology. The patent diagram doesn't make much sense, but the way it's described makes this sound like it's going to be a fun ride!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: New Toy Story Mania! concept art.

Quote Originally Posted by Concisecynic View Post
    Looks interesting!

EDIT: (remembered something) I've seen on Google Patent Search, the patent for this illusion technology. The patent diagram doesn't make much sense, but the way it's described makes this sound like it's going to be a fun ride!
    I posted a thread regarding the patent and diagrams for the patent back in July: Patent for Midway Mania's "Interactive projection system and method".

• Banned User

It sounds redundant to have two shooting attractions in the same resort.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    It sounds redundant to have two shooting attractions in the same resort.
    I don't think two shoot-'em-up attractions which use different technology and ways of creating the story and experience is redundant at all. ...But two shoot-'em-up attractions featuring characters from the same film in the Resort, is very redundant indeed.

Let's hope Disney proves us wrong, and the experience feel so vastly different that the striking similarity in concept is easily ignored.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Oh man... that looks even worse than I was expecting after I saw the other art! Hopefully it's only because they're off model.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Infinitized!

When I go on this ride I'm gonna feel as if I'm riding a shopping cart through a Toys R Us. Where's the tie-in to the California theme? The Pier could use a good spook house. How about The Winchester House of Fear or The Hearst Castle of Doom?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    When I go on this ride I'm gonna feel as if I'm riding a shopping cart through a Toys R Us. Where's the tie-in to the California theme? The Pier could use a good spook house. How about The Winchester House of Fear or The Hearst Castle of Doom?
    The Midway Games theme works, and the general concept of the attraction is brilliant. Its what should have been on Paradise Pier all along instead of the pay-to-play games that are there now. My gripe is that the Toy Story characters are unnecessary. They aren't needed to carry the attraction. From the get-go, this attraction should have been a 100% original concept, with no movie tie-in. It simply doesn't need a movie tie-in to work with the Paradise Pier theme, and in fact, the movie tie-in actually hurts the attraction and land's theme.

With that said, I feel like what we're going to get is a series of games that we play in this attraction that we'll enjoy playing and want to do again, but it'll feel like Midway Mania is perpetually in a seasonal overlay a la Haunted Mansion Holiday. The problem is that the overlay will always be there, and instead of Midway Mania returning to it's original state after the overlay promotion is over, we'll just constantly have Toy Story Mania! instead.

Lame.

Don't tell Mr. Potato Head, but this idea was never fully baked.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Laughingplace.com has a full update from todays(errr yesterdays press thing on TSM) along with the concept art that has been posted.

http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-365.asp

(be sure to watch the video with WDI's Tom Fitzgerald going into much more detail about the ride and its details)

The Mr Potato head AA sounds AMAZING and so does the ride itself with its tech and adjusting to each players game skill.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

5 day walk from Disneyland, 9 with traffic.

Question Re: New Toy Story Mania! concept art.

From the Mouse Kingdoms blog, http://mousekingdoms.blogspot.com/. The blogger says:

"Midway Mania will be coming to Paradise Pier by summer 2008. Gone will be the cheap plaster and stucco replaced with heavy theming of the Victorian/Coney Island feel that we Disney fans call "Mictorian".

From the rumblings we're hearing the new area in front of California Screamin' will look simular to the Hotel Del Coronado. This will be a much needed layering of the area. It will take visitor back in time which is one of the complaints it doesn't do right now."

Does anyone know if this is true or not?
    Last edited by Concisecynic; 01-27-2007 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Trying to get the picture to show up... GOT IT!

• Senior Minion

I'm picturing and hearing the same thing song "You got Friend in me" BY Randy Newman at this ride as well. Is there anything on the music for this?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The Midway Games theme works, and the general concept of the attraction is brilliant. Its what should have been on Paradise Pier all along instead of the pay-to-play games that are there now. My gripe is that the Toy Story characters are unnecessary. They aren't needed to carry the attraction. From the get-go, this attraction should have been a 100% original concept, with no movie tie-in. It simply doesn't need a movie tie-in to work with the Paradise Pier theme, and in fact, the movie tie-in actually hurts the attraction and land's theme.
    Agreed what would have been really neat is if DCA got its own character what i mean is something along the lines of Figment being a new character only at Epcot no where eles. It would also be kinda cool if the barker bird came back yes to DCA from DL but the barker bird seemed pretty cool calling in people. just wishful thinking.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

The artwork looks interesting. Wonder how all of this will look in 3-D. Glad that Tic Toc brought up the song, You've Got A Friend In Me. It is both magical and pleasant. Hope that the toon tune will be a part of the ride.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Senior Minion

I think the concept artwork is wonderful. I like the "Mictorian" style they will be shooting for. It will definitely bring alot of foot traffic to that area of the park.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast