Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Toy Story Mania ride to take it up a notch - Orlando Sentinel, 1/27/07

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Like the Jungle Cruise? An original interactive attraction. You can interact with the skipper, duck at the spears, react to the hippos, or placidly watch. Either way, you're still enjoying the attraction.

I admit that I am worried about these new interactive attractions also. Monsters Inc, Toy Story Mania, and the whole ilk can get very old very fast. Turtle Talk and Buzz were enough to just leave it at that. Why run this concept into the ground?
    Yes, like the Jungle Cruise.

Like I said, interaction in Disney attractions isn't a bad thing and it is an important element. But for the entire premise of the ride to be guest interaction.. well, that's just going too far.se

• Minion FOREVER!

I don't know.

Personally, i don't think interaction is really bad or good onto itself. As usual, it's really
    the story and the concepts that are key. If the interaction is a natural part of it, then it
    should work. If it's forced, then it'll be just a distraction.

Ex. How about having flashlights in PoC? Makes no sense... even posing as pistols
    makes little sense... are you a pirate? why are you shooting at the "quiet" scenes?

In BLAB, it makes some sense. (is literally a video game). And one should note that
    the whole BLAB (and it's ilk) are still going strong.

In Mania, I can see the story and its location working. But IMHO its a bit
    more of the stretch than BLAB. Monsters Inc. kind of works better IMHO.
    ("searching for Boo").

We'll have to see the final product as to if it truly delivers.

Anyway strictly my two cents....

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    I don't know.

Personally, i don't think interaction is really bad or good onto itself. As usual, it's really
    the story and the concepts that are key. If the interaction is a natural part of it, then it
    should work. If it's forced, then it'll be just a distraction.
    That is, essentially, my whole point. Attractions should include some sort of interactivity if it contributes to the story and themeing, but to create an attraction that soley relies on said interaction, then thats bad Imagineering.

Ride Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters without using the gun. It's one of the worst rides in the park.

I have no doubt Toy Story Mania will be the same - if you aren't interacting, then riding is boring and pointless.

Rides should not rely on a gimmick as their source of success. Story and proper theming should be the main focus of the attraction, and then, interactivity should be added to compliment the strong story and themeing.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    In BLAB, it makes some sense. (is literally a video game). And one should note that
    the whole BLAB (and it's ilk) are still going strong.

Also, the other side of my argument is that while purely interactive rides are popular, if Disney keeps making ride-after-ride purley interactive then theres going to be an issue. If more and more rides are built like this that are highly interactive guests are going to begin EXPECTING that rides are highly interactive, despite the lack of necessity for such interaction. That then leads me to have concern for existing attractoins, and if the classics will have to be retrofitted to include new interactive show pieces, or even worse - classics will be removed in favor of more attractions like TSM! or BLAB.

Or is this just a fad that will eventually die out? Who Wants to Be A Millionaire - Play It! was pure guest interaction. And look what we have left of WWTBAM-PI! - an empty showbuilding. Will these attractions eventually die out when their technology becomes outdated and seems cheap and old? Will we eventually see a shuttered attraction doors in Tomorrowland and Paradise Pier?

I've said it before, but this whole interactive thing is very gimmicky, lacking any real creative, immersive artistry. This gimmick-dependant Imagineering just seems to be very toxic for the parks.

• FastPass n00b

Well, if Tom Fitzgerald says it's crazy, I guess it must be one good ride. Because Tom Fitzgerald knows his fountains, er uh, rides.

• triple seven

'Disney adding Toy Story attraction'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...lpBHNlYwMyNjgz

First post, and new to this. :-D

Anyways, in the article they say
    In it, guests will don 3D glasses and ride eight to a car..
    I thought that there were only suppose to be 4 people in the car from the concept pictures..

• Fastest Man Alive

Re: 'Disney adding Toy Story attraction'

Quote Originally Posted by KJ777 View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...lpBHNlYwMyNjgz

First post, and new to this. :-D

Anyways, in the article they say I thought that there were only suppose to be 4 people in the car from the concept pictures..

I could be mistaken but I believe that each 'car' is actually two vehicles attached to each other like Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin.

• Senior Minion

There's already a couple of threads currently discussing this topic. Type in "Toy Story" in the search button at the top.
    Here is one of them.
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ight=toy+story
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Minion

Making a ride on the sole purpose of guest interaction is not a bad thing IMO. If every ride were a shoot em up attraction like BLAB then I would say we would have a problem, but we don't. These are only two attractions in the whole resort. I'm sure Disney will stop it here, on that immense interaction level with shooting and such.
    Jeff Wayne

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Yay for Toy Story Mania!

Weeeeeee!!!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I could be mistaken but I believe that each 'car' is actually two vehicles attached to each other like Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin.
    What? When did Roger Rabbit have two vehicles connected to each other?
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    What? When did Roger Rabbit have two vehicles connected to each other?
    Since it opened. It's actually easy to not notice or forget. When you get into your taxi cab, it seats 2. That taxi cab is directly connected to 1 other identical taxi cab throughout the entire attraction. Thus, without much of stretch you could say the ride vehicle of RR seats 4. It's stretching the definition of ride vehicle, I know, but given the picture presented and the vehicles supposedly seating 8, it's the only way I can think of reconcile the info between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters = Atari
    Toy Story Mania = Super Nintendo.

...I really don't want to see rides build up to the XBox 360.
    A flawed analogy, but interesting none-the-less. Building up to the Xbox 360 would not involve much more interactivity than TSM using this analogy. However, if you want to talk about raising the bar of interactivity, you have to mention the Wii, the current peak for gaming.

But I do see your point.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Soon they'll take over The Haunted Mansion and give you guns like the Ghost Busters.

Haunted Mansion Mania!
    featuring Luigi
    sponsored by Nintendo

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• I love my family!

These game rides are exactly that game rides, that is what type of attraction they are.

The point to these rides is to play the game, if you don't want to play don't ride. Just like if you don't like roller coaster, don't ride. It's up to you to decide.
    The ride system is popular because it inspires competition and we all know how competitive we are. How many "What was you high score " threads did we have here. They don't need to be over themed, it would just distract from playing anyway.

We can debate the ride system or it's overuse but, to bash an attraction that is still a pile of dirt seems kinda silly. WDI has had a pretty good track record as of late, so i'm excited. It's also great news for DL that their getting the full version and MGM is getting the smaller version, hope the trend continues.

Beside, if you've been on MIB an SM at USO then you know that if WDI can blend those two rides together, the ride should be a lot of fun.

I will now step down from my box.
    Last edited by 3rdshiftCM; 02-06-2007 at 03:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast