Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Has anyone ever stayed at the Grand Californian?

I'm staying there next week and wondering what it is like. I have stayed at the Paradise Pier and was not impressed. I've heard that the Grand Californian is better. Thanks.

Thumper

• Tour Ready

I have stayed at the Grand Californian many times, and in my humble opinion the Grand Califoirnian is great... But you must have a park view room! That is what makes this hotel special and why is cost more than the other two... The theming is great and the proximity is nice. Make sure you get a park view room... It's worth the few extra dollars to upgrade to one at check in time! Enjoy your stay!
    Last edited by WDI33; 01-30-2005 at 10:24 PM.

It's wonderful if you can afford it, in my opinion.
    My experience with the service there has been fantastic. On our first stay, we were informed of something that had happened at home (won't go into details, but it involved our house being broken into). In our frustration we shared what had happened with the people at the front desk, and that night we recieved a free platter of desserts like chocolate covered strawberries and mickey-shaped rice-crispy treats, along with some other foods and a note telling us that the hotel workers were very sorry about our misfortunes, and that they had sent us all this for free to try to improve our visit. Trust me, this was very touching. It came at just the right time, and we vowed that on our annual trips we would always stay at the Grand Californian. Not only that, but the people at the front desk seemed truly concerned about what happened. It took what would have been a horrible trip and pretty much made it into as good a trip as it could have been under the circumstances.
    On our most recent trip, we were having trouble with the rooms that we had reserved. We were talking to them on the way down, and for some reason something had gotten screwed up and we would be unable to stay in the rooms that we had reserved. I don't know all the details, but over the course of a few hours that we were on the phone with them on the drive down, they managed to make it from having to stay in arrangements that wouldn't work to being in a better arrangement for the same price. Even after they fixed it they constantly apologized, even going so far as to track down my mom in the parking lot across the street to apologize for the troubles with the reservations.
    Plus which, the hotel itself is beautiful, the atmosphere in the lobby is fantastic, and staying in it means you'll never have to leave Disney property during your entire trip (since everything is an elevator and a short walk away). If you can spend the money required to stay there, go for it.

• Walt Disney Disciple

Excellent hotel

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary. The quiet hotel and close proximity to the park were wonderful, along with the superb theming. They have a nice quiet bar area that is great, along with the restaurants.

The park view really is outstanding (assuming you have some appreciation of DCA and Grizzly Peak especially).

This isn't the best hotel for little kids (DL Hotel much better) but for older kids or couple this is a fine hotel. Assuming you can afford it...
    Kevin Crossman
    Disneyland and Disney California Adventure fan
    Disney's Animal Kingdom Fans: http://twitter.com/AnimKingdomFans

• I like Cheese...

rooms are a bit small, but nice. a park view of GRR is the best. When we stayed there they were running it (GRR) all night long for some reason, and you could hear the sound of the lift. a bonus in my opinion. The lobby is awesome, espically if you are a fan of craftsman style architecture (it's not real, of course, but it looks really good. I like sitting in fron of the fireplace with a coffee.

highly recommended, at least once...

The school that my children attend is going to hold it's annual silent auction and dinner there on May 7th ( 2 days after the start of the anniversay celebration) and we are being offered a discount to stay there in conjunction with that. I'm going to have to take them up on this offer!

• It's all nonsense

I stayed there during christmas time in 2003 and had a downtown disney view. it was really top notch imo. i love the look and feel and the location. you will really enjoy your stay.

• He's a tramp...

I stayed at the GC once, and while I loved the hotel, my room sucked as it was at the end of the wing that's above the World of Disney store. It was quite a trek from the nearest elevator to my room, with several turns and long walks down entire hallways. My room looked out over the Soarin building so I could see the Disneyland entrance to my left and Grizzly peak to my right. Otherwise the room was nice, and the amenities are awesome.

-Stephen

My hubby and I LOVE this hotel...we have always booked a room on the conceirge floor as we enjoy the breakfast and wine/cheese in the afternoon. Between those two we usually just eat a big lunch or late dinner and save money in the park. Ditto to the comment about kids...we book the DL Hotel with the kiddos. Paradise Pier was originally the "tour bus" hotel frequented by International tour groups so it is bare bones and just not up to the Disney parr for my taste...but the price is right sometimes. After visiting the lobby I decided to stay off property before staying there...just not my thing.
    ~~Second star to the right and straight on til morning~~

5 out of 4 people have a problem with fractions :confused:

Just to weigh in and I do agree with most on this... Yes on proximity, yes on lobby theming, yes on restaurants. ...But like all Disney hotels, no matter how expensive... (I've stayed at every resort in WDW as well) The rooms are like nice Holiday Inn rooms. Nothing more. They might have an appropriate wallpaper and bedspread... nice carpet and yeah, you get a Mickey soap. But other than the constant barrage of promos pouring from the Disneyland channel on your TV, you could be in the Holiday Inn Express in Barstow. The public areas are supurb and remind me of my favorite hotel, The Wilderness Lodge in WDW, but... the rooms are really nothing special.
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

I'm attending a convention too, and we are getting a special rate. My employer is paying for the first four nights and I'm staying an extra three days at my own expense. They extended the special rate for the extra days, which is great, but even at the special rate, it still seems expensive! I've always wanted to stay there. Just hope I'm not disappointed.

Thumper

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper
    I'm attending a convention too, and we are getting a special rate. My employer is paying for the first four nights and I'm staying an extra three days at my own expense. They extended the special rate for the extra days, which is great, but even at the special rate, it still seems expensive! I've always wanted to stay there. Just hope I'm not disappointed.

Thumper
    That is the way to go for sure, if you can. My company is sending me to the Contemporary in WDW, and we get the same deal. $129 during the conference and for 3 days after. After that its like $280 or $290. Anybody ever stay there? comments? I'm assuming that the rooms will be nothing special...

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

My husband and I have stayed numerous times, especially during the holiday season the warm fireplace and the lobby are the perfect holiday setting. Our daughters love it but they are adults, not children and can appreciate the ambiviance of the setting. I do have friends with small children whom I did not recomend this property too, as I child I would have wanted to be and the Disneyland Hotel with more character theming myself.

What about a 12 and 7 year old? Too stuffy? We stayed at The Beach Club at WDW in November and they enjoyed it.
    Lisa aka LuvSnowWhite

Spending the BIG 4-0 in DL ...5/2005

• no flash photography...

yes, I LOVED it. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. One of the best I have ever had at DL..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast