Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• a wind to shake the stars

Red Face Why do you have a problem with Pixar rides?

I just watched Cars again today and realized that I really, really love Pixar movies. I usually dislike when people talk about what Walt would have liked or approved of, but I honestly think they're in the mold of what he wanted Disneyland to be like. They're fun, adventurous, and both kids and adults can enjoy them together.

That said, I'm wondering why people are so opposed to the Pixarification of new rides. It's no secret that a large number of the new rides at the resort are themed to Pixar movies (Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo, Toy Story Mania, Carsland, etc.), but every time there's a thread about these people seem to dislike the fact that the ride is going to be branded with a Pixar property. Personally, I'd prefer rides with original storylines like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Space Mountain, but I really don't have any issues with Pixar being used either. If you do feel the opposite way, would you mind sharing why?

Re: Why do you have a problem with Pixar rides?

I too love the Pixar movies. I think there is animosity as Disney had the chance to purchase Pixar for a very low cost, but Eisner saw no point to it. He thought animation was on the way out. Steve Jobs and Eisner never got along and even though Disney distributed these films, they are not Disney films. Of course that has changed now that Disney bought Pixar, but some of that animosity still lingers.

I think Walt would have embraced this new technology, as he was always looking for new ways to make movies. I am sure if he had been around Pixar would have been Disney's when it was offered. They could have paid only about $12 million for it when it was offered.

• Shablagoo!

I've wondered the same thing. I've enjoyed the Pixar movies generally more than most Disney movies since the Lion King.

My favorite feature animation studios are currently Ghibli, Pixar, and Aardman. I'm waiting to see what Disney does next.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think some fans here don't like the Pixar rides because there are so many popping up all over the Disney parks. That's why some of the call it "Pixarland."

I don't care all that much though. I'm happy to see the subs returning regardless of the Finding Nemo story .

• Married and happy again!!

Some are not happy unless they have something to complain about. Seriously though I think anything that adds to the park experince is good. And Jeff is right anything that saved the subs is great in my book. I wish everyone could get past the whole Pixar thing, it is a part of Disney now so these things are not Pixar they are Disney. Pixar is now just a division of Disney no diffrent that Touchstone or ABC or any other Disney venture.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Minion

I don't like the idea of too many movie-based rides in general (Pixar or otherwise), because I think they have a tendency to fall back on the popularity of the characters instead of making a "WOW" impression on their own merits, and also because I'd like to see more original attractions at the DLR.

That said, I did like the "Monster's Inc." ride, and I have high hopes for the Nemo Subs.

Aren't most of the rides based on movies or characters. Toon Town, all rides in Fantasyland, Pooh, etc. That was the basis for the entire theme park.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Speaking only for myself, not the other hordes of non-Pixar fans, I do not care for the computer animation itself. What was once an art form, hand-drawn and colored, is now a process, a program. The human touch that made animation an art has been all but eliminated from the final product, and I for one am sorry to see it go, and am not in favor of glorifying it ad nauseum with Disney/Pixar themed rides.
    I'm probably in the minority here, and maybe considered a bit prehistoric in my tastes, but that is why I, personally, am not excited when a new Pixar-themed attraction is slated for construction.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

3D Design is an art form, most 3d Artist need too know how to draw before they can bring it into a computer.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

Pixar intellectual property has contemporary settings, which do not fit with the timeless nature of The Magic Kingdoms.

Additionally, the Pixar stuff does not directly relate to California and to the presentation D.C.A. is attempting to make. So, at least in the case of Disneyland Resort, these newer attractions are weakening both theme parks, creatively-speaking.

There is a way to incorporate Pixar characters and other intellectual property into D.C.A., but doing so has to be handled carefully. This thread presents a reasonable possibilty for keeping the new park coherent: Fertile Imaginations, presented by Apple .

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    3D Design is an art form, most 3d Artist need too know how to draw before they can bring it into a computer.
    As you say...MOST...this implies that artistic talent is not necessarily required. There is no question that 3D design takes talent, however. But, I personally do not accept this as "art"--to me it lacks discipline or hands-on craftsmanship. But I am off-topic here--apologies. I won't debate my personal preferences anymore, and waste everyone's time.

• I'm listening.

There's a bit of resentment that Disney hasn't been able to develop their
    own original ideas in house, as opposed to purchasing other production
    studios such as Pixar.

• JML

Well, sadly, the folks at Disney do not seem to have good ideas anymore: I finally saw Chicken Little and I am SO embarrassed for them. So, no matter what they say or do, Pixar is the only way for now. They should suck it up and say thank you.
    Jeanmi

• враг народа

Blog Entries

My biggest problem with the Pixar properties is the context in which they are presented. The attractions that I believe best exemplify this are the Buzz Lightyear attractions now at all of the Magic Kingdoms. Buzz Lightyear, and Woody and his group too, exists within two realms in the world of Toy Story. Each is a toy (the film characters) and a very for real character (characters of their respective shows). Inside the parks Buzz Lightyear should be presented as Buzz Lightyear, Space Ranger and not Buzz Lightyear, property of Andy. It is easier to just use toy Buzz Lightyear and market him and not the alternate Buzz Lightyear only really associated with a much less popular cartoon series.

• Minion

(In reply to Mr. Lightyear...it won't let me use the "reply with quote" function for some reason.)

Aren't most of the rides based on movies or characters. Toon Town, all rides in Fantasyland, Pooh, etc. That was the basis for the entire theme park

If I'm thinking right, prior to Star Tours, the only directly movie based rides were the Fantasyland rides, and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. Everything else was original. Other rides were loosely inspired by movies, but you wouldn't call The Jungle Cruise, "The African Queen: The Ride", it's the Jungle Cruise, it's its own thing. From Star Tours on, *every* ride at DL has been directly movie-based (except the short-lived Rocket Rods,) and *everything* they've announced for the near future for both DL and DCA is movie based.

With my previous comment, I didn't mean to make a broad blanket statement about all movie-based rides - some of which I LOVE - but I think that it *could possibly potentially* be used by certain people as an excuse to skimp on quality because the concept has already been "sold" to the public. I hope Lasseter is watching over all these projects .

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast