Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Tour Ready

Shouldn't Diane rededicate the park on the 17th?

Everyone is crying for Roy to do the honors on the 17th... But there is a closer link to Walt that I think should do the honors. Diane Miller. She is the last member of Walt's direct family and would do a wonderful job. She is hard at work on a Museum to preserve his legacy and this event is a perfect opportunity. I think the bad feelings between her and the company are over (Ron's ouster from the company) and if asked will I am sure will gladly accept. What doy you think?

• Having a Grand Day!

I just don't think Diane has had as much to do with the company as Roy. Roy has a closer link to the company, which has owned and operated the park for the last 50 years, where as Diane has had realy nothing to do with it since Ron left in '84, opting to preserve the legacy of her father.

• Compulsive Map Collector

They should both be there. There could be more than one person who speaks about the dedication, such as they did on opening day.

• My laughing place

I think either one would be great. If Roy choses not to be there on the 17th then we should make every effort to make sure Diane is there.

• The one, the only...

I think that it would be very appropriate for Diane to re-dedicate Disneyland to Walt's principles. I, at the same time, believe that to really re-dedicate Disneyland to Walt's principles, one has to be vigilant, fighting for those principles with the people running Disney right now. The symbolism is fine, but the symbolism has to be accompanied with action. There is where Roy has stepped in. Where he is there on July 17th or not, he has fought for Walt's vision more than anyone in that boardroom.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I think that Diane and her kids, as well as Roy should be there. I've seen a lot of pictures of Walt and Diane's daughter in parades during those first years. It sure would be a lot easier on our eyes than seeing Eisner up there in a dirty old T- shirt! hehe

OK, I'm sure I will be the only one who thinks this way, but I think we should just hear Walt's voice booming out of every speaker in every land, so no one can miss it. To hear it again THAT LOUD would be awesome.....I know it's in the fireworks, but it would be totally different to hear it on the actual 50th.
    Go see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies!!

Well, let's not forget that Diane was one of the main reasons Walt built Disneyland.

Remember, he wanted a place where he could take his daughters so he could have a little fun with them too.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Roy should do it because he looks soooo much like Walt

• Tour Ready

Diane should do it because she looks alot like Walt and Lilly.... Mr. Disney made a good point in his post that we owe Diane alot of Grattitude for Disneyland... If it wasn't for Daddy's Day with his daughters we may never have had our park!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    True, I think they should both do it though

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    True, I think they should both do it though
    Allow both people and how many of the direct family to attend.....

Then give the privilage of reading the plaqe to diane or Roy.....

It is sad that currently there is no "Disney" in Disney. It just seems more than wrong. I think there should be as many Disney family members as there can be at the July ceremonies. They should have been there for the 5th too. I agree with both points. if it wasn't for Walt's dream for him and his daughters we wouldn't have any of the parks. Also if not for the dedication of Roy many of the things that are Disney now would not have been. I wonder how people like Marty have been able to sublimate any feelings or comment about this. Eisner keeping out the family of the namesake that he and others at the company claimed to be friends with.

• FastPass n00b

People often undermine Roy O. Disney's involvement in Disney. If it wasn't for Roy, Walt never would have got off the ground because Roy was the primary reason Walt got funding for his grand ideas. As wonderful as Walt was with his carefree spending of money, Disney was a business and businesses have to make money to survive. He was a little too "carefree" for his own good and might've run Disney into the ground without Roy's financial assistance. They were complete opposites, which I think is what caused such friction for them later in life, but one of them could not have done it without the other. I absolutely LOVE the stories where Walt tricked his brother on many occassions so he could spend way more money on his park. In a way, they're a lot like the Wells-Eisner era where 2 people (usually opposites) put together can create SOOO much more than if they're working by themselves.

I would give Roy's father a lot more credit and say he has every right to be there as one of Walt Disney's family.

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    People often undermine Roy O. Disney's involvement in Disney. If it wasn't for Roy, Walt never would have got off the ground because Roy was the primary reason Walt got funding for his grand ideas. As wonderful as Walt was with his carefree spending of money, Disney was a business and businesses have to make money to survive. He was a little too "carefree" for his own good and might've run Disney into the ground without Roy's financial assistance. They were complete opposites, which I think is what caused such friction for them later in life, but one of them could not have done it without the other. I absolutely LOVE the stories where Walt tricked his brother on many occassions so he could spend way more money on his park. In a way, they're a lot like the Wells-Eisner era where 2 people (usually opposites) put together can create SOOO much more than if they're working by themselves.

I would give Roy's father a lot more credit and say he has every right to be there as one of Walt Disney's family.
    Also, if it wernt for Roy O. there wouldn't be a little place called WDW.

Both sides share a historical signifigance in the company and both should be there, but I had to choose it would be Roy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast