View Poll Results: Should Disneyland Bring back the Helicopter?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it would be neat seeing a Disney Themed Helicopter

21 77.78%
  • No, Leave well enough alone

6 22.22%
  • Other, (please post thoughts)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Question Disneyland Helicopter

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

Does anybody remember the DL Helicopter?
    I can remember seeing it as a little kid, but that's about it. If anybody rode in it, could you share your story about it please?

• I am a Pluto lover

oh my gosh! Now that you mention it, I have some fuzzy memories about that. How funny. Where did it land?
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• Minion

I think it landed close to, if not on the DL Hotel.

• I am a Pluto lover

I thought so, now Ill have to dig through my old photos and see if there is a shot of it. My first trip was in the 70's. Im not sure if I actually saw it or heard about it. Like I said, fuzzy memories. But Ill look through the pics to see.
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• Minion

I know they had problems with the first helicopter, to say the least, but what if it was designed like the helicopter in TV show Air Wolf, but with Disney colors?

• My laughing place

There is still a heliport on the north side to the entrance of Disneyland. I saw it today. Does anmyone know if it is still used ?

IN the members only section of the disneyforever/mousetimes boards they had an old TV documentary from 1956 that showed the helicopter landing. It was very kool... here's a screenshot

• Minion

From Rytheguy..."IN the members only section of the disneyforever/mousetimes boards they had an old TV documentary from 1956 that showed the helicopter landing. It was very kool... here's a screenshot"

You de-guy! Way to go!
    Last edited by Liquidspaceman; 05-28-2005 at 09:02 PM.

• Minion

I lived for many years in Anaheim and within walking distance of the park. Anytime I flew out of LAX I would take the helicopter from DL to the airport. It was so convenient, fast and fun. So much better than those boring airport busses or shuttles.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The worst tragedy in Disneyland history involved the Disneyland Helicopter when in May of 1968 it crashed and killed all 23 people aboard.

The second worst tragedy in Disneyland history involved another Disneyland Helicopter when in the Summer of 1968, less then 3 months after the first accident there was another crash killing 21 people.

Helicopter rides for Disneyland guest ceased that year.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

I didn't mention that in my previous post and wasn't surprised when the heliport went into the toilet following those tragedies. Guess I was lucky on my commuter flights.

That said, I still wish there was a faster, easier means of transportation to LAX from OC.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I flew on the DL helicopter in 1965 and saw the devastation of the Watts riots. My mom filmed it in Super 8. ok. i'm not 19.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by rytheguy
    IN the members only section of the disneyforever/mousetimes boards they had an old TV documentary from 1956 that showed the helicopter landing. It was very kool... here's a screenshot
    Is that the TWA Rocket in the background? If so, then the helicopter must have landed somewhere ouside of the train tracks, by where the Grand Canyon would be in the future?
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

• Sock Puppet

Here's some more info on the two 1968 crashes of the helicopters that serviced Disneyland and LAX -

• 1968 •

Date / Time: Wednesday, May 22, 1968 / 5:50 p.m.
    Operator / Flight No.: Los Angeles Airways / Flight 841

Details and Probable Cause: Los Angeles Airways, a company providing regular passenger service between Los Angeles International Airport and the Disneyland-Anaheim heliport located adjacent to the Disneyland theme park, was operating a Sikorsky S-61L helicopter (N303Y) that departed Anaheim on a flight to LAX.

It was westbound over the suburb of Paramount at an altitude of 2,000 feet when controllers received a distress message from the craft: “L.A., we’re crashing, help us!” The helicopter suddenly descended with an erratic action of the main rotor blades, crashed onto a Paramount dairy farm and burst into flames.

All 23 passengers and crew members aboard died in the crash. Among those killed was a group of nine vacationers from Ohio; a Hunt-Wesson Foods executive; the mayor of the northern California town of Red Bluff; and a UC Berkeley professor.

The helicopter’s severed tail rotor was discovered in a used truck and tractor yard a block east of the crash site. A mechanical failure in the helicopter’s main rotor hub caused one of the rotor blades to detach and it sliced into the fuselage. The other four rotor blades subsequently went out of control and splintered. The craft came apart and crashed to earth.

Fatalities: 23 -- 20 passengers and 3 crew members.

Date / Time: Wednesday, August 14, 1968 / 10:36 a.m.
    Operator / Flight No.: Los Angeles Airways / Flight 417

Details and Probable Cause: Los Angeles Airways suffered its second in-flight disaster in less than three months on the morning of August 14, 1968.

The L.A.A. Sikorsky S-61L helicopter (N300Y), flying eastbound from Los Angeles International Airport to the Disneyland-Anaheim heliport located adjacent to the popular theme park, was at an altitude of about 1,500 feet when one of the main rotor head spindles failed and the attached main rotor blade separated completely from the central hub. The resulting imbalance sent the craft spinning out of control and its tail rotor sheared off.

The helicopter crashed to earth in Lueders Park in Compton and burst into flames, killing all 21 passengers and crew members aboard. Among the victims was passenger Christopher L. Belinn, the 13-year-old grandson of Clarence M. Belinn, the founder and president of the L.A.A. helicopter line. The craft’s severed tail rotor was found three blocks west of the crash site.

The crash was the result of a metallurgical fault of the main rotor blade spindle, occurring during the manufacture of the unit.

Fatalities: 21 -- 18 passengers and 3 crew members.
    1969 Los Angeles Airways Brochure:

More info on LAA - http://airlines.afriqonline.com/airlines/712.htm

Photo of helicopters that crashed, the Sikorsky S-61 -

And here's what became of Los Angeles Airways - http://www.aerofiles.com/airlines-am.html
    Los Angeles Airways
    194?: Clarence Belinn dba Los Angeles Airways, Los Angeles CA. 1944: Incorporation. 1947: First helicopter flights. 1971: Sold to Golden West Airlines. Golden West and Air California were both owned by the same people, and Los Angeles Airways was to have been acquired by Golden West — we flew LAA S-61s complete with Golden West paint scheme for a while on the LAX-Disneyland- Fullerton-Orange County route. The deal to take on LAA fell through, however, because the owners not only already had the majority in commuter traffic on those routes, they also owned the taxi cab (Yellow Cab) and airport bus (Airport Transit), and an air cargo business. (— Jim Phillips 1/21/01)
    The Disneyland Heliport in the 60s and early 70s was located on the land that is currently the northern parking lot for the Disneyland Hotel, just south of the Mickey & Friends Parking entrance. Using the early 90s layout (before the DCA/DTD changes), it was located on the northside of Cerritos Ave. See the TerraServer topo map for reference - http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com...sneyland%7c%7c
    Last edited by Exotica_Tiki_Room; 05-29-2005 at 11:17 PM.

• Rainicorn.

Wow, that is so sad. I never knew Disneyland had a helicopter service until I read this post.

I do think it would be nice for people who came from LAX to the OC. I am all for it.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast