Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What Was the ABC Soap Opera Bistro Like?

Quote Originally Posted by Knave of Hearts View Post
    This looks like it had a similar vibe to the 50s Prime-time Cafe at MGM.

While it looked great, and I have to applaud Disney for doing something completely different by theming something to soap operas, this would have just been so much more successful themed to sitcoms. Both soaps and sitcoms use similar fake looking sets, yet sitcoms are watched by so many more people. Yeah, I know sitcoms get canceled while most of the classic soaps are eternal. But they could have just replaced each set once it lost its popularity.

What a shame, a very interesting idea nobody got to see, that was replaced by something only small children or parents with small children can enjoy.
    The concept for this restaurant did seem forced. ... almost as if it existed for the sole reason of helping justify the acquisition of Cap. Cities/ABC, and its intellectual property. The tone was a little off, too, because Disney couldn't decide if it was going to treat its daytime dramas seriously or make fun of them.

Additionally, the lunch-on-the-set experience really didn't make all that much sense. Perhaps, if the only stages used were those of fictitious restaurants, the concept might have worked better. But, Disney would still have had to explain the reason soap operas are important enough for this kind of treatment.

If advertising was spoofed along with the soap operas, I can imagine how all of radio and television broadcasting could be represented. But, ultimately, the early demise of this restaurant was probably for the best.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It would have been nice to eat here just once to see what it's all about. But I am not into soaps, and it is not surprising it shut down since soaps mainly cater to a female demographic. (I am just making an educated guess. Please don't jump all over me unless you have the facts to prove otherwise.)

I'm not so sure it was the concept of the restaurant that caused its closure. Certainly not the sole reason and probably not even the primary reason.

At the time, DCA had three full-service restaurants -- Soap Opear Bistro, Wolfgang Puck's Avalon Cove and Robert Mondavi's Golden Vine Winery -- by far too many for the size of the park and especially so with the low attendance the park was getting. I'm pretty confident that the closure of the company-operated Soap Opera Bistro was in large part a make-good deal for the sponsors of the other restaurants. Remember how popular DCA was projected to be before opening? I'm sure there were levels of attendance promised by Disney to lure the other guys in.

Also, the big complaint was that there were a lack of things for children to do at the time. So converting the building to a Playhouse Disney was something that was done to address that shortcoming.

While the soap opera theme isn't necessarily something that I would normally be into, the atmosphere of the place was really quite fun. And the food was very tasty. It was actually a great place to eat and I'm sorry to have seen it close.
    "I Only Hope That We Never Lose Sight Of One Thing,
    That It Was All Started By A Mouse." - Walt Disney
    http://www.StartedByAMouse.com

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    But, Disney would still have had to explain the reason soap operas are important enough for this kind of treatment.
    Why not? I bet if they had continued the the Daytime Weekends they used to do it might have still stayed open. If soap operas weren't important, people wouldn't watch them, there wouldn't be awards dedicated to this type of programming, and there wouldn't be that Super Soap Weekend in MGM now would there?

• It's all nonsense

You know this place always seemed like it would be hokey. But now that people are describing it, it sounds kind of interesting.

I think yesterland.com should start a DCA section.

I used to go there a lot when it was open, and loved it! The food, the service and the atmosphere were all wonderful. I was so sorry to see it go and felt it wasn't given a proper chance.

I think they need to get rid of Disney On Stage and change it over to a Desparate Housewives diner, that would be fun!

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    You know this place always seemed like it would be hokey. But now that people are describing it, it sounds kind of interesting.

I think yesterland.com should start a DCA section.
    If I am not mistaken I think they do. I think I remember seeing something on there about Superstar Limo.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
    I used to go there a lot when it was open, and loved it! The food, the service and the atmosphere were all wonderful. I was so sorry to see it go and felt it wasn't given a proper chance.

I think they need to get rid of Disney On Stage and change it over to a Desparate Housewives diner, that would be fun!
    I am not necessarily prudish, but a thought just crossed my mind. Why is it acceptable to have soap operas and presumably Desperate Houswives in a DLR park, with all of the sex and everything associated with that, and the minute someone thinks of doing something based on Pixar so many people act like Disney is running itself into the ground?

• Minion FOREVER!

We ate there right when DCA opened. We ate in the General Hospital "room".
    I don't remember getting a role, but we really liked it. The CMs were great
    and the food and the service was surprisingly good.

The prices were definitely above what you would pay for dinner outside, but
    with the entertainment it was definitely worth it.

What killed it was the relatively low turnover in customers and the low number
    of people coming into DCA overall. I still think it could do well in a themed DTD.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I am not necessarily prudish, but a thought just crossed my mind. Why is it acceptable to have soap operas and presumably Desperate Houswives in a DLR park, with all of the sex and everything associated with that, and the minute someone thinks of doing something based on Pixar so many people act like Disney is running itself into the ground?
    Because some people for some crazy reason don't like Pixar and they want rides to be original and not based on a movie. Crazy, huh? As for me, I think it's acceptable because ABC is owned by Disney so they can do whatever they want. If they want to promote their programming such as day time soap operas or prime time soap opera-like shows, then they can. Plus DCA was always for more mature audiences, wasn't it? Besides, it's not like they showed love scenes of these soaps in the restaurant on TV's. Maybe if they had, oh I don't know, Erica Kanes' bedroom as a room, then there would be a problem.

• Minion

My kids and I don't watch soaps, never have, but to me, it was more of a spoof on Soaps. It was so hilarious when we were there. The kids (all 12-17) had a blast. The adults were having even more fun. I really wish it would have hung around, or that I would have tried it sooner. The food was good, the service was good, and the atmosphere couldn't be beat.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• See you there!

I thought it was a good restaurant. I thought the food was reasonably priced and I enjoyed the table service and entertainment. I was not (still am not) a follower of Soap Operas, but I did enjoy the Soap Opera Bistro. To bad it didn't make it, the service was always good.

I think another full service restaurant in DCA would be a good idea.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

We had lunch there once, since mom-law was with us and she is a soap fan. It was kinda fun. They had actors going around in characters with a semi-improv skit. They came over to our table and talked to me. Not being a shy person and loving an audience, I quickly became part of their skit. I even went around other tables with them for a while.
    Gawrsh !!

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Because there's already enough Pixar at DCA, but not nearly enough sex!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The concept for this restaurant did seem forced. ... almost as if it existed for the sole reason of helping justify the acquisition of Cap. Cities/ABC, and its intellectual property.
    This was a friend of mine's (that works for Disney) opinion as well. At the time he was lamenting that and how much better a restaurant with a broader scope in relation to Hollywood, would have been.

Here's what he wrote me at the time:

"I think they're delusional thinking that many guests are going to be that interested in dining at an ABC Soap Opera restaurant. Why limit it to ABC? Why limit it to Soap Operas? They should have picked a few sets from Disney films and television that would lend themselves to dining experiences, and licensed a few others from other studios (like Prime Time Cafe did with Lucy) to round out the mix. They really had a chance to do it right, but it seems they opted for the cheaper and total in-house self-promotion route. And the Soap Opera angle? It's mostly going to be families in the park. You think little Johnny and Suzie are going to go, Mom and Dad...can we go eat at the Soap Opera place? No matter how good the food or performances are, I don't think they'll find any lines at the door."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12