Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Was the ABC Soap Opera Bistro Like?

Does anyone have any pictures or descriptions?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: What Was the ABC Soap Opera Bistro Like?

Was quite empty both times I took a look inside.
    Here's some photos:
    http://www.startedbyamouse.com/archives/ABCSOB01.shtml
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Defying gravity

I do have pics, but they were in the pre-digital age...maybe I will scan them someday.

I visited Soap Opera Bistro in July 2001 right after it opened...and before it soon closed. I was 11 years old and it was during my first ever visit to DCA. The restaurant was tons of fun. The servers were interactive - the idea is that the guests are a part of ABC soap operas. I remember that we ate in the "All My Children Set." Other areas were themed to Port Charles, General Hospital, and One Life to Life. My dad became part of the skit and was given the part of "Jorge, the resident psychic." I remember wanting to go back to Soap Opera Bistro in 2002, but, alas, it was gone....

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I'm no fan of daytime television, but it looks like the restaurant was properly themed and worked perfectly with the movie studio backlot theme of the land.

It probably would have done better if it had been built now, and you were on the sets of ABC's Primetime hits like Desperate Housewives, or Lost.

All I recall about it when I first visited it, was thinking, "What an investment in time and money...probably for nothing. The place will probably be closed within a year."

Well...I think it lasted 2 years, but that was that.

Nothing more romantic that dining with your honey in a surgical setting from General Hospital. "Honey, would you pass me the forceps."

Thank you all for the observations and links. I never visited the restaurant, myself, for many of the same reasons that were cited here. But, it's interesting seeing what I missed.

They could bring back the concept. A primetime cafe version though. Although the sets should be around the dining areas so it would be easier to change. Though they would have to use ABC or Touchstone shows (Desperate Housewifes, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, etc..)

• "Always On The Move..."

I'm not a big fan of Soaps...but this place was an absolute BLAST to go to...and the best food EVER.

Went to it numerous times and always laughed myself silly and had an awsome meal. It was a bit $$, but nowhere near BB in that dept. Was really upset to see it go...
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Soaps...but this place was an absolute BLAST to go to...and the best food EVER.

Went to it numerous times and always laughed myself silly and had an awsome meal. It was a bit $$, but nowhere near BB in that dept. Was really upset to see it go...
    Wow, I didn't realize that this place was only open for not even two years. I went inside once to look through all the sets, wish I had a camera. Always planned to eat there one day, would have LOVED to eat on the set of Luke's club since I watch GH. It was all very well designed and I too am sad that it's gone because of that lame Playhouse Disney crud.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post

We really liked it too. The entertainment was great. And the food was surprisingly good. We went Aug 17, 2002. (Daughter's 16th birthday.) I was sad that it went. True, not a romantic spot, but it was fun for adults and kids alike. Somewhere, I have it all on video.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

During our honeymoon, my wife insisted we eat there first. She's a soap freak (Lord forgive me) and I love to eat, so it was a perfect fit. The food wasa great. The CM's working the Bistro would instantly break into a "scene" and involve all the people in the specific room. We sat in the medical room, elevator to be exact. I believe I "died" on an operating table. It was really funny. We totally recommended to people the entire year (not knowing it had closed). We seemed like fools recommending a restaurant no one could find.
    Spoiler
    BURP!

• ...TWO BITS!

I've got the DCA 1 hr preview program on my youtube. Look for it in the playlist, but you have to be my friend.

I never went inside cause 1) My family usually didn't want to eat at the expensive theme park restaurants and 2) Soap Operas don't interest me. But if this was brought back with ABC Primetime Television, I'd go. And I had no idea the CM were interactive like that. Kinda sad Disney decided to have the restuarant in soap opera theme only. Then again, I think back in 2001, ABC was still pulling itself together.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures or descriptions?
    I don't think you would have liked it...
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    I don't think you would have liked it...
    Well, soap operas aren't my thing.

I was doing modeling for Disney at around the time the new park was being built, so I was familiar with some of the costumes in development, including the pink bathrobe with the feather boa. But, it was difficult to imagine how the dining experience would eventually work with these characters performing in the restaurant.

• Say No to J. A. Lasseter

This looks like it had a similar vibe to the 50s Prime-time Cafe at MGM.

While it looked great, and I have to applaud Disney for doing something completely different by theming something to soap operas, this would have just been so much more successful themed to sitcoms. Both soaps and sitcoms use similar fake looking sets, yet sitcoms are watched by so many more people. Yeah, I know sitcoms get canceled while most of the classic soaps are eternal. But they could have just replaced each set once it lost its popularity.

What a shame, a very interesting idea nobody got to see, that was replaced by something only small children or parents with small children can enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast