Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• My cuties!

What is capacity?

At what point (number of people) do they close DL?

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!
    i think its somewhere around 60,000 guests...
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    its actually somewhat higher than that- There is no "magic number" because it depends on a number of factors- the main one being how many rides are operating at whether or not they are running at full capacity. Other factors, like how many restaurants, shows, shops, parades, etc are open/running factor in as well. When everything is up and running, I believe full capacity is considered to be around 85,000 guests. You main concern with capacity is how crowded are the walkways- when more rides and other attractions are open and are able to soak up guests, then the park is able to hold more people.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Minion

The Orange County Fire Dept. determined the capacity of the park and that is around 85K for Disneyland. Management can go up that high if they want but of course its up to their discretion based on several factors that dramaqueen mentioned. Also, OCFD has the authority to close the doors to the park if safety is a factor.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

85,000?!???

I think I was there that day...

• My cuties!

There have been times when it sure feels like it is at capacity!

• something else...

three words

new year's eve
    You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

• dreams do come true

Disney usualy starts the shut down prosses at between 55,000 and 60,000. They first stop selling tix, Then stop letting pre bought last is hotel guests. but on special days, 4th of july, new years, Main Street Electrical parade last performance at disneyland. They let it go much higher. The problum with letting the park reach capacity is guest complaints and they try to minimise it by shutting the gates early. but they always reopen later.( usually closed for about 1to 3 hours)

• Minion

Back in the days (pre-DCA), you would be able to tell when the park was close to capacity and that was when they used to park cars along Harbor and Katella...when the DL parking lot and the convention center lots were closed. I've had some friends back during my college days tell me that they worked some nights when the park nearly did reach that 85k (about 70k) ..but that was a long long time ago. The whole process and decision is a little tricky because you have to account how many tickets have been sold that day, pre-sold tickets, APs, etc. Then consider how many enter, leave and then reenter...its a big numbers game.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper S
    Disney usualy starts the shut down prosses at between 55,000 and 60,000. They first stop selling tix, Then stop letting pre bought last is hotel guests. but on special days, 4th of july, new years, Main Street Electrical parade last performance at disneyland. They let it go much higher. The problum with letting the park reach capacity is guest complaints and they try to minimise it by shutting the gates early. but they always reopen later.( usually closed for about 1to 3 hours)
    I am a hotel guest! But to tell the truth I'm not sure if I want to chance leaving the park that day and not be able to get back in for any special events I might want to attend. Basically once I'm in I'm staying in. I'm coming all the way from Missouri and don't want to miss out on the celebration. How cool to say "I was there on DL's 50th Birthday!" :devil:
    Cliff
    WDW '72, '97, '00, '02, '03 '06 '07, '08 DL '98, '05, '10 DLP '00 DCL '09

• See Ya Real Soon!

Even hotel guests are not garenteed admission/readmission if is truely "closed" to new admissions. Don't risk it. Get there early. And Stay.

• insufferable know-it-all

I have heard rumors that it got as high as 100K during the end of MSEP, but given how packed the place in on 75k days, I'm not quite sure I believe it.

All I know is this: at a certain capacity, Disney has to notify the fire dept. It's up to the fire dept. to tell them to close the gates.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

The Fire Dept (Anaheim) has the ultimate authority to close the gates once it reaches a certain capacity or safety reasons. Now as far as readmission is concerned...I'm saying this from other theme park practices and I only assume DL does the same thing. Once a park reaches capacity and they are told to close doors to new admissions, I believe they cannot refuse readmission to those that have already been in the park. The barcode on the ticket can let the gate attendant know when the ticket has been used and the handstamp also confirms this. Park totals are calculated several ways

1)the total amount of tickets (APs, park hoppers, comps, reg tix, and others) are scanned that day- the # that the fire dept goes by. This lets park officials know how many people have entered the park the first time.
    2) reenter- number of those that have left and returned
    3) current park total- combination of the tickets scanned, exit totals and reentry totals

If I remember correctly, park officials keep a close eye on 1 and 3. If the park closes, it should only close to new admssion and not reentry as that would cause some major legal issues for the park to deny admittance to someone that has a valid ticket for that day.

• Yes its that much fun!

I wont say how much but it is very high (higher than most have guessed here) and Mrs. News is right as far as we stop selling tickets to disneyland and only allow re-entry for a certain amount of time.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Don't forget the numbers you're quoting are not in-park numbers, but the total attendance for the day. People come and go. 85k is a big august day, or like 4th of july. the in-park number of how many guests fit inside is less, I think in the 40 to 50 range max.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast