Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The pride is back.

Re: How Should the Source Material for Disneyland Attractions Be Treated?

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Dude, before you go slamming books, do try and remeber that some of us actually enjoy reading... especially a good book about Walt Disney or Disneyland.
    Dude, before you go slamming me, do know that I am an author of children's books.

I, too, enjoy a good book on Disney, and find the assortment they have at WOD more than adequate.

I take offense that you confuse my disagreement with the OP as the notion of some Philistine. I am not "slamming" books (where this leap of logic came from, I have no idea), but I do not feel that the original idea of a library or bookstore is a perfect match for Disneyland. No more, no less.

The bookstore at MGM has struggled for quite some time. I don't see that it would be in DL's best interests. That's all.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I think a bookstore in MGM would hold different ideals and values than a bookstore in Disneyland.

Vacationers would most likely NOT want to lug massive amounts of weight back to their hometown nor would they want to pay to ship it.

Local Disneylanders who can simply pick up their merchandise at the end of the day and take it home would be more inclined to buy a book ar at least inspire them to go home and find it on amazon.

When it comes down to it, I don't think I would have a book store for sales. It just needs to exist for the sake of existing. It will have a lasting effect even if a child walks in without buying anything. As long as he/she flips through some of the books... that's a start.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Three words:

Belle's Bookshop, Fantasyland.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Three words:

Belle's Bookshop, Fantasyland.

Ok that's three votes for Belle's Bookshop so far!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
    Dude, before you go slamming me, do know that I am an author of children's books.

I, too, enjoy a good book on Disney, and find the assortment they have at WOD more than adequate.

I take offense that you confuse my disagreement with the OP as the notion of some Philistine. I am not "slamming" books (where this leap of logic came from, I have no idea), but I do not feel that the original idea of a library or bookstore is a perfect match for Disneyland. No more, no less.

The bookstore at MGM has struggled for quite some time. I don't see that it would be in DL's best interests. That's all.
    Great. Thanks for clarifying that. My reply to you was based upon your reaction to the concept of books in Disneyland. I don't know you or your profession, so I make statements based upon information you give in your posts. A post like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider
    Yep, when I think of Disney merchandise, my mind immediately goes to...books, Sheesh
    ...implies that you don't have an appreciation for books.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm sure as an author of childrens books you would agree that children could use more books and a little less of the plush animals, whirligigs, and other merchandise that they sell at Disneyland.
    I mean seriously, does every store in Disneyland have to sell useless crap?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    Once upon a time, I proposed (or supported, I don't remember) an idea for a Belle's Bookshop in Fantasyland that would carry Disneyland editions of the books that inspired the attractions. (There's already a wide variety of books for sale in the park, so I guess you could sell those there, too.) I still really like that idea.
    I also lke this idea. America (and other countries) need to be exposed to classic literature. Maybe a little pixie magic would help people. Belle could do a meet and greet there.
    The daydream princess

• Inhospitable about happy

As a grandfather who reads fairy tales to his 3-year-old granddaughter, I can tell you that the various editions of Disney books with collections of stories come in a variety of literary levels. Some are quite lengthy and sophisticated and depart quite a bit from the films toward the classic literary originals, and these are obviously geared toward older children. That is not to say that any of them quite approach the fullest level of the classic originals.

The world has changed since Snow White. Back then, schools had kids memorizing poetry and reading the classics, and the schools thought that promoting cultural literacy was part of their task. Disney was slammed for dumbing down and hamming up the classic stories that "everyone" knew and had read elsewhere in their youth.

Flash forward 70 years. Schools nowadays hardly even try to expose kids to the canon of classic literature that was taken for granted back then. Let's face it. If it wasn't for Disney's films, most people today would not even KNOW the basic fairy tales. (How many people do you know who have actually read Collodi's Pinocchio?) So thank God Walt made those films, or the stories would have been lost entirely to the wider culture, most of whose members never read any books at all, not even a Sidney Sheldon novel.

A little book shop in Fantasyland restricted to, primarily, classic source books for the Disney films would be a noble thing, but it would be empty most of the time, and make no money.

Sad, but there it is.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    As a grandfather who reads fairy tales to his 3-year-old granddaughter, I can tell you that the various editions of Disney books with collections of stories come in a variety of literary levels. Some are quite lengthy and sophisticated and depart quite a bit from the films toward the classic literary originals, and these are obviously geared toward older children. That is not to say that any of them quite approach the fullest level of the classic originals.

The world has changed since Snow White. Back then, schools had kids memorizing poetry and reading the classics, and the schools thought that promoting cultural literacy was part of their task. Disney was slammed for dumbing down and hamming up the classic stories that "everyone" knew and had read elsewhere in their youth.

Flash forward 70 years. Schools nowadays hardly even try to expose kids to the canon of classic literature that was taken for granted back then. Let's face it. If it wasn't for Disney's films, most people today would not even KNOW the basic fairy tales. (How many people do you know who have actually read Collodi's Pinocchio?) So thank God Walt made those films, or the stories would have been lost entirely to the wider culture, most of whose members never read any books at all, not even a Sidney Sheldon novel.

A little book shop in Fantasyland restricted to, primarily, classic source books for the Disney films would be a noble thing, but it would be empty most of the time, and make no money.

Sad, but there it is.
    I have to agree with that, but when was the last time Disney made an animated classic based on a book (not including Bridge to Terabithia,since it isn't animated). If Disney opened people's mind a little more, it might spark a little initiative to read more. I am part of the endangered population of teenagers who read. If we could expand minds a little more in the same way mine was, Earth would be a smarter place.
    The daydream princess

• MiceChat Moderator

Sad, but there it is.

I disagree with that as you're short changing the few people that would be interested in that sort of thing, and money shouldn't be the reason NOT to do this. Books are timeless and won't be replaced as quickly as computer software or better yet... tacky disney merchandise.

And besides, I'm thinking of a book store with all types of books that Disney are associated with. I'm not just talking fairy tales, but also the imagineering, art of, behind the scenes, encyclopedias, how to draw, biographies, comic books, EVERYTHING.

What will seperate this shop from the rest is the fact that it WILL have offerings of classic literature that were inspirations for anything in the park... whether it be frontierland, adventureland, fantasyland, or tomorrowland.

Heck, throw in a section of classical music where Fantasia was pulled from or even have books about those composers. They can do a great service by providing fans of disney more information than they could have possibly imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by roxystar68 View Post
    I have to agree with that, but when was the last time Disney made an animated classic based on a book (not including Bridge to Terabithia,since it isn't animated). If Disney opened people's mind a little more, it might spark a little initiative to read more. I am part of the endangered population of teenagers who read. If we could expand minds a little more in the same way mine was, Earth would be a smarter place.
    Why do we have to limit the books to animated features?

The Narnia books are excellant examples of books that have been adopted into full-length features that are certainly worth reading.

I also think that there are enough people out there who read, that a book store that sold classics, biography books about Walt Disney and Disneyland, along with CD's and DVD's would be profitable.

They could revamp Disney Showcase into the new and improved " 20th Century Music and Books" on Main Street and turn the old 20th Century Music store into a smaller Disney Showcase.

Most of the stuff that is sold in Disney Showcase could be sold across the street in the Emporium, and the "new" Disney Showcase could be a pin shop.

Heck, it's small... how much room do you need for pins?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Minion

>>And besides, I'm thinking of a book store with all types of books that Disney are associated with. I'm not just talking fairy tales, but also the imagineering, art of, behind the scenes, encyclopedias, how to draw, biographies, comic books, EVERYTHING.<<

Yes! And limited editions - and perhaps Belle's Bookshop could be the new locale for the popular character storytime readings. Then at least there's a crowd to buy something...

A Fantasia Music shop would be great too - - with all of those iTunes archival LPs available as full-AIFF CD downloads.

• Inhospitable about happy

And besides, I'm thinking of a book store with all types of books that Disney are associated with. I'm not just talking fairy tales, but also the imagineering, art of, behind the scenes, encyclopedias, how to draw, biographies, comic books, EVERYTHING.

What will seperate this shop from the rest is the fact that it WILL have offerings of classic literature that were inspirations for anything in the park... whether it be frontierland, adventureland, fantasyland, or tomorrowland.

Heck, throw in a section of classical music where Fantasia was pulled from or even have books about those composers. They can do a great service by providing fans of disney more information than they could have possibly imagined.
    I'd vote for it. For sure. I just wonder whether the bean-counters would ever greenlight it without making them add T-shirts and plush toys.

• Minion

I actually really agree it shouldn't be limited. I tried reading Narnia years ago and I just couldn't get into it. After seeing the movie I read it and couldn't get enough. I read tons of books about Walt and Disneyland, and it would certainly attract a lot of MiceChatters who love to read about Disney. The only issue is that a lot of the Disney nonfiction books we like to read are unofficial and are not sponsored by Disney. Copyright infringement might be an issue, unless Disney and the second party allowed the books to be sold.
    The daydream princess

I'd vote for it. For sure. I just wonder whether the bean-counters would ever greenlight it...
    Now that it's been suggested on MiceChat, it is officially cursed and will never come to pass.
    I'm suprised you didn't know about the curse.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    I'm sure as an author of childrens books you would agree that children could use more books and a little less of the plush animals, whirligigs, and other merchandise that they sell at Disneyland.
    I mean seriously, does every store in Disneyland have to sell useless crap?
    Going back over my post, I do seem kind of snarky, and would like to clarify a bit more...

I agree wholeheartedly on this with you; however, my response was based on the original notion of a bookstore or library in Disneyland. While I think it would help children everywhere to have more and better access to books, whether or not this is something that would be a good fit for the company (not Disneyland as we'd like it to be, but Disneyland as it is) is doubtful, in my mind.

To the corporation at large, the bookstores (and Disney book section) belong primarily at DTD. Not saying that I'm in 100% agreement, just that books are, unfortunately, not on their radar. The public is that way, too, to a degree. I feel that the average Disneyland visitor is less likely to pick up a copy of Life on the Mississippi than, say, a book on DL history. Which is why I think a few select Disney and Disneyland-related titles might be the best fit for the regime as it is.

Now, if we could get back to the One-Of-A-Kind shop and land-specific merchandise that a) didn't always have to be Disney and b) spoke to a broader taste, then I think a bookstore of this kind would be fantastic.

I just think that in the present climate, it's not a viable idea. Would I like to see a return to a climate where it would seem like a viable idea? You betcha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast