Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How Should the Source Material for Disneyland Attractions Be Treated?

Walt Disney was often criticized in some circles for bastardizing particular works of literature when he would adapt them for film. But, he always argued that his intention was never to supplant the source material, but, rather, his goal was to persuade people to read or re-read many of these classics. His works were always interpretations of the originals even though the success of such films often made them definitive in the minds of the public.

Since so much of Disneyland is taken from classic literature, as well, how should The Magic Kingdom treat these novels and other works? And, how should the original authors be acknowledged?

The Mark Twain Riverboat is an ingenious tribute to the psuedonym of Samuel Clemmens, but even more can be done in this vein. And, I would also love if Main Street, U.S.A. had a book store or a library where the originals were made available to guests.

• Minion

Re: How Should the Source Material for Disneyland Attractions Be Treated?

Pssh... good luck at getting guests to buy books when they won't even read their park info brochures for showtimes or where to get a fastpass...

But that would be cool. Something subtle but deep at the same time.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

A library is a great idea! Have the guest give a cm their credit card number and if the book is overdue, they can start charging overdue prices, but at Disney rates! Imagine the E-ticket attraction that would bring!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Walt Disney was often criticized in some circles for bastardizing particular works of literature when he would adapt them for film. But, he always argued that his intention was never to supplant the source material, but, rather, his goal was to persuade people to read or re-read many of these classics. His works were always interpretations of the originals even though the success of such films often made them definitive in the minds of the public.

Since so much of Disneyland is taken from classic literature, as well, how should The Magic Kingdom treat these novels and other works? And, how should the original authors be acknowledged?

The Mark Twain Riverboat is an ingenious tribute to the psuedonym of Samuel Clemmens, but even more can be done in this vein. And, I would also love if Main Street, U.S.A. had a book store or a library where the originals were made available to guests.
    If Disney can turn the incredible and diverse state of California into an cheap knock-off, or if they can bastardize the amazing Pixar films and their brilliant creators with cheap black-lit darkrides, or off-the-shelf carnival rides, then I don't think that Disney has the ability to truly tribute the source material (or the minds behind that source material) of the Magic Kingdom.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Since so much of Disneyland is taken from classic literature, as well, how should The Magic Kingdom treat these novels and other works?
    A library would certainly be a welcome addition on Main Street USA. They could sell source books in there as well as Disneyland and Walt Disney bio's.
    Maybe they could do it in concert (pun intened) with the 20th Century Music Company, since most libraries also have a music department.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

They should sell Twains book called "Life on the Mississippi" since it is full of his own memoirs dating back to the days he spent as a steamboat pilot on the Mississippi before the Civil War broke out.

Heck, if you read the book, you'll see many connections Disneyland has with "Life on the Mississippi" .

Here's a summary:
    Life on the Mississippi

We all know Walt was a fan of Mark Twains . Disneyland is another piece of evidence that backs that up in my opinion.

Well, a library or a book store would support the show since the idea is that Walt Disney read the books found there before he dreamt all that lies beyond Central Plaza. In that way, Main Street, U.S.A. is made all the more personal and the relationship between our little hometown and this magic kingdom is strengthened.

I can see Disney selling Disneyland-specific copies of some of these books, as well as Disney offering guests the chance to buy several of them for a single price. I would be interested, myself, especially if the presentation of the merchandise inside the park persuades me to pay a premium. The fact that these books seemingly come from within Disneyland's borders adds to the perceived value.

The collection of books offered would be like a recommended reading list from Walt Disney, himself.

• Lowering Expectations

For some reason I'm reminded of the ghost host in WDW's Mansion...

"...Our library is well-stocked with priceless first editions - only ghost stories of course..."

Nice idea, and I'm sure it could theoretically be pulled off, but I bet the reason it hasn't been done already is that not enough people care. I doubt the average guest realizes source material exists, beyond Disney characters getting rides named after them.

Who goes to Disneyland to analyze it? (This doesn't apply to you, DisneyAnalyst.) What I'm saying is no normal guest visits Disneyland to do research, or read. I hear a collective *yawn* upon the new title, Main Street Book Store.

Literature can't compete with pins. It just isn't profitable.

• Lowering Expectations

The fact that these books seemingly come from within Disneyland's borders adds to the perceived value.
    I know what you meant, but when I read it, it came out like there's a Borders in Disneyland.

• The pride is back.

Yep, when I think of Disney merchandise, my mind immediately goes to...books.

Sheesh.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post

Sheesh.
    I'm always looking for a good Disney book, even when I visit Disneyland.

Dude, before you go slamming books, do try and remeber that some of us actually enjoy reading... especially a good book about Walt Disney or Disneyland.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Basking in birthday love

Once upon a time, I proposed (or supported, I don't remember) an idea for a Belle's Bookshop in Fantasyland that would carry Disneyland editions of the books that inspired the attractions. (There's already a wide variety of books for sale in the park, so I guess you could sell those there, too.) I still really like that idea.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I would LOVE for this to happen. I'm always going up to the Disney Gallery because they seem to be the only place to get some good reading material about Disneyland... but at the same time, to see other books that Disney looked at for inspiration would be amazing.

As much as this would be cool for Main Street, a part of me thinks we should be thinking about the children and give them a head start on reading... so Fantasyland perhaps? Maybe a BELLE'S BOOKSHOP that resembles her library in the castle? Have displays of the books that were used in the opening of many disney classic animated films. Have a copy of "our friend the atom" on display.

I actually don't care where the store ends up located, just as long as it

a) happens
    b) is in disneyland where young and old alike will find their way in

EDIT: whoops, didn't see the last post until after I replied but glad I'm not the only one!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post

Sheesh.
    Not everyone who walks through the gates of Disneyland is dragging his knuckles. There are several people who love Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland and who would, likewise, love to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Many others would enjoy everything from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to Swiss Family Robinson to 20,000 Leagues under the Sea to The Jungle Book to The Wind in the Willows to Treasure Island to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn to The Little Mermaid to countless others. And, Walt Disney believed so, himself.

He credited his career to his finding of a single book about the animation process. So, a turn-of-the-19th Century book store or library that carries many of the same books he read could be a really wonderful thing.

“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island.” - Walt Disney

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    I'm always looking for a good Disney book, even when I visit Disneyland.

Dude, before you go slamming books, do try and remeber that some of us actually enjoy reading... especially a good book about Walt Disney or Disneyland.
    For sure. If you include my copies of Walt Disney's Snow White, complete adventure stories ect. I have going on 100 Disney books.

There are several people who love Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland and who would, likewise, love to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.
    Loving Disney's version prompted me to read Alice and I can for sure quote most of both those books. My signature quote is from Through the Looking Glass

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast