Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Tiggerfan's Trip Report Jan 31-Feb 4

The Delta Dons at DCA?

• Minion

Yep, they were there on the Hollywood Backlot.

We did get quite a lot done Thursday as the parks were not real crowded, but our pace was slow and relaxed.

Part 3 will come tonight, as long as I don't go too late.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Keep the reports coming! Jimmie and watched the flag retreat the last time we were there. It's very well done.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks for sharing

• Minion

Ok time for day three (Friday February 2nd)

I've been trying to add a little something different to my trips, either a special event or an off site trip.

Today I headed to the Crystal Cathedral and the Richard Nixon Library. Because I have a lot of pics from the library, I will post that in a separate thread later, but I'll give you the CC pictures here as well as my night visit to Disneyland for parade and fireworks

I arrived at the Crystal Cathedral around 9:30 am. I have been meaning to go over there for a while, its just a short drive from DL, maybe 5 minutes and they offer daily tours.

Here is a shot of the amazing main cathedral building.

Inside the building you get to see the organ (one of the biggest in the world) and spend a little time staring up at the vaulted ceiling.

Outside, the bell tower is reflected in the sanctuary building, a really cool effect.

The grounds cover more than 40 acres and are decorated with some beautiful sculptures.

This is a tour I suggest anyone take advantage of. The place is beautiful and the guides are well informed.

After walking around the grounds, I moved on to the Nixon Library. I have a bunch of photos for that so I will post it in another thread in the Main Lounge (seemed the best place to put it). But I probably won't get that fully posted till later next week.

Tonight I am heading into the park for the parade and fireworks and hope to get some more pictures for you.

UPDATE

Well I hoped to have parade pictures, but as some of you know, I need a newer camera and one of the big flaws of my old one is bad shutter lag (so moving stuff is blurred) and a tendency to decide the batteries are dead when they are not.

So no parade pics.

But I did head over around 6pm and the train was just showing up, so I got on board to ride over to NOS.

While there I got a few shots of the area at night. There is something different about the part at night, it has a really different feel.

Here is the Mark Twain all lit up

After taking some pictures I walked over to Critter Country and took a ride on Winnie the Pooh. I do really miss Country Bears and Pooh in Florida is far better than ours, but I do like the Pooh ride here.

Then I went over and rode Haunted, it really looks great since going back to the regular show. I think one of the real benefits of the Nightmare overlay is we get a mini refurb every year.

Although I agree with some who suggest they need to develop a new show, this is still a really fun parade to watch.

After the parade I moved back to try and do Pirates but the line was pretty long. So I hopped the train again to head over to Tomorrowland for a ride on Buzz.

Shortly after I sat down they announced they were pulling a train out of service so there would be a short 5 minute delay. That delay turned into about 15 minutes and a series of calls to try and find out why, though we never got an answer. I assume they just had trouble getting the train pulled.

In tomorrowland I grabbed a few more pictures of the area and then broke 300,000 on Buzz (yaaay).

After Buzz I moved over to Main Street to start looking for a spot for the fireworks and realized the Castle was de-tarpified for the fireworks.

While waiting for the show I took in the Opera House and the great 50th anniversary exhibits.

A bit of what might have been at Edison Square.

I also took some time to check out Main Street at night

By now it was about 845 so I moved down to Town Square and got a seat on one of the benches by the firepole, so I could look to my right and I was directly lined up with the Castle for fireworks.

The new fireworks show (well reasonably new) is a bit shorter than the older ones and does have less of a big finish feel, but I think its really good. The music is well selected. The added laser and other visual effects, as well as the effort to bring the show out into Main Street is well worth watching.

Sadly my camera decided to do a battery funk so I didn't get any photos.

I will be heading into the parks tomorrow to meet friends and do Fantasmic. I will do my best to post tomorrow night but if I get too late you might not see the next installment until Monday or Tuesday.

I will also try to post on the hub meet Sunday, but I lose my net connection when I leave the hotel, so that may also wait.

But hopefully you will see tomorrows update on schedule, then Hub meet and Nixon library by mid week.
    Last edited by tiggerfan; 02-02-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Updating for night trip to Disneyland Parade/Fireworks
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Loving the report so far!
    Crystal Cathedral is just gorgeous!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• I've got the Disney fever

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post

For those who have not seen it, the show begins with a series of patriotic songs by the DL Band and the Dapper Dans.

Is it just me or are Blue and Purple twins? I saw them yesterday and I'm convinced those two are twins.....

• I've got the Disney fever

Beautiful pictures! And I'm glad that you are having a good time.

I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the music on Screamin'. I thought the music on Space was MUCH better.

• Minion

Hello again and time for day four, Saturday February 3rd. To.day will be somewhat less photo intensive and shorter, partly because I am tired and partly because we covered many of the rides already.

I was in the park at about 8:45am waiting for the 9am opening. I waited for a little while at City Hall until I was met by my good friend Disneyfnatc. Since it was early we headed into Fantasyland and took advantage of the lack of people. We rode on Pinochio, Snow White and for the first time in a while, Dumbo.

By the time we finished up we got a call from Judimouse. We hadn't been sure if she'd be able to make it so we were pleased to see her. We stopped by Carnation Cafe to say hello, then told her we'd meet up once she finished eating and our other friends arrived.

We then moved over to Tomorrowland and took a run on Buzz Lightyear, always a great time and then rode on Space Mountain. We were waiting for some friends to show up so we moved through the hub and into New Orleans Square for a ride on Haunted Mansion. Pirates had quite a line for some reason, so we skipped it but did move over for a ride on Winnie the Pooh.

We then got a call from our other friends, one of them has been a friend of mine since childhood and he was joined by his wife and her sister. For privacies sake we will call them John and Mary and her sister Ann.

They were joined by John's friend and co-worker Paul and his wife Linda. Linda is a CM so she was able to get them in for free, which worked out nicely.

Paul and Linda get to DL a couple times a month but John/Mary/Ann haven't been in over a year, so we decided to let them sort of guide the day.

We called Judimouse and all agreed to meet over by Space Mountain, where we got fast passes, then rode on Buzz Lightyear. After Buzz we took a run on Matterhorn and then moved through Big Thunder Trail to NOS area.

Along the way we had to stop as a friend wanted to say hello.

We thought about Big Thunder but things were crowded so we moved over to ride on Pirates and Haunted Mansion, since John is a huge Pirates fan and hadn't seen it since the makeover.

While waiting in line for Haunted I saw this view and thought it would make a nice picture.

The parks were moderately crowded, so we had to wait a little while for Haunted but it was not too bad. We decided to get fast passes for Indy to add to Space passes. We thought about doing lunch at Golden Horseshoe but the lines were long so we moved on to Main Street and out of the park towards Whitewater Snacks.

Judimouse was feeling a little tired today and I think we were a pretty big crowd for her to handle, so she decided to head over to the Cove Bar and relax a bit while the rest of us enjoyed lunch at Whitewater and took a tour of the Grand Californian.

After lunch we returned to Disneyland and moved over to ride on Space Mountain, then took the train to NOS and moved to ride on Indiana Jones. By now we'd pretty much covered the major DL rides so we moved over to DCA.

At this point Paul and Linda headed back home while John, Mary, Ann, Disneyfnatc and I moved into DCA. We grabbed fast passes for Soaring and then went through Paradise Pier to check out Screaming. Along the way my friends wanted to stop and get some pictures, so I took a few as well.

There was not too bad of a wait on Screaming, so my friends and I rode on it, with the exception of John who doesn't care for drop coasters. We then moved into Hollywood and took a ride on Monsters, which is really a cute attraction.

We had fastpasses for Soaring but decided to take a little time to show them around the park. They agreed that while it had some high points the overall theming was lacking.

But they loved Soaring, calling it one of the best rides they'd been on all day. I am also a big fan of Soaring and was glad they enjoyed it. We then stopped over in the Wharf area and grabbed some food.

By now it was around 645 so John, Mary and Ann decided they needed to head out for the day. It was really fun having some newbies with us for the day and I hope to get them back (resisting Disney is futile after all).

Disneyfnatc and I moved over to Screaming and took a run through the single rider line, getting on the coaster in less than 5 minutes. We then returned to Disneyland with the goal of seeing Fantasmic and the fireworks.

We made our way down to NOS and were pleased to see the crowd was not too bad, and were even able to get a ride on Haunted Mansion before the show began.

We lined up in front of Haunted and waited for the show. While my camera isn't the best for night shots I did get a few of the show.

What can I say about Fantasmic that hasn't been said already ? It is one of the premium Disney shows and the Disneyland version is much better than the WDW one. I will miss having it around when it shuts down for the TSI rehab.

After Fantasmic we got a nice view of the fireworks, though you clearly get a better view from Main Street it was nice to follow up Fantasmic with the fireworks.

It was now 10pm so we figured it was time to leave. We made our way to the gates only to find that once again the normal right hand side exits were closed. I asked a CM about it as nd was told they are repainting a group of gates and this has required the change.

We stopped for a bit at La Brea Bakery so DF could grab a drink for the ride home. While waiting for him I was outside enjoying the music of David Wayne, who is very talented.

We then went to wait for our tram, it took us about 3 trams to get on but that was not too bad.

While waiting however we saw something odd, while there were a ton of people waiting a tram drove up with only 2 people on it, then after they got off the tram picked up 2 people and left.

Perhaps this is part of Year of A Million Dreams ???

YAMD.... Your own private TRAM RIDE !!

(Actually perhaps they were going to the hotels ? If anyone knows why they would be picking up over across from the parking lot stops ?)

After riding back to the garage I was in my car and back here to the hotel.

Tomorrow I will be checking out of hotel, but then over to DL for the hub meet and then my loooong drive home.

I will do my best to post tomorrow night, or Monday morning.
    Last edited by tiggerfan; 02-04-2007 at 12:00 AM.

• Minion

Just checking in for the last time before I check out of hotel. I will be in the parks for part of today and will post a final chapter on Super Bowl Sunday in DL and hub meet, but probably not until Monday.

• Minion

Sorry for the delay but here we go with the final day of the trip

Day Five, Sunday February 4th.

I started the day with the sad duty of packing my bags and checking out of the hotel. I had a great stay at the Howard Johnson's and would commend people to stay there.

I had planned to go into the parks and ride a few attractions before going to the Noon meet at the hub, but you know what they say about the best laid plans...

Normally it takes me about 30-40 minutes to go from my hotel room to Main Street. Well today it took me 45 minutes just to get to the toll booth at the parking structure as the cars were backed up onto Ball and almost to Harbor.

Getting out of the parking structure was equally slow. I was parked on Goofy level so I had two escalators to ride and both were backed up with crowds of people. They did have a lot of trams running but even then it took three waits before I got onto a tram.

Realizing that the security check and entry gates would be just as bad, I decided to walk down to the Monorail station and ride into Tomorrowland.

While it was much faster than going through the regular entry, there was a pretty big crowd waiting for the Monorail and I did have to wait for a second train.

I could tell that things were pretty busy when we rode past DCA and I could see lines already built up in much of the park.

I had left my hotel just before 10 and it was now past 11:30 so the normal time of 30-40 minutes had expanded to an hour longer than normal.

I called Judimouse once I got into TL and we met up at the Buzz Lightyear pin counter. They had released some St Patricks day pins and of course JM had to get the Donald version...

The one ride I had not gone on yet was Small World, since it had been closed until Saturday. Judimouse and I headed over and there was a pretty good line, though not too long.

We started just outside the entry to the ride line and moved down the ramps and then it happened.

First the ride stopped, then we saw several CM's running into the back with the hook. It didnt take us long to figure out that the ride was not going back up so we headed to the hub for the Noon meet.

The meet crowd was smaller than last week, though it wouldn't be hard to have that happen given the huge turnout for the 2nd anniversary.

Pretty soon we had a nice crowd, including Judimouse, Fishbulb, Dustysage, Darkbeer, Dan, Wolfette, 5 Hour Drive and many others.

We decided to move over to DCA for lunch at Trattoria.

As has been reported, lunch was not exactly the fastest service in the world. In fairness I do think that they did not expect the crowds to be as big today. As a result they were heavily understaffed.

It was about an hour wait for us to be seated (admittedly there were 20 of us so that made things harder) and the food took quite a while to show up when we did order.

But as has been reported elsewhere, the food was excellent and the service very good. So I would give them high marks for doing their best under busy circumstances.

I also want to give high marks to the Micechat gang, especially Dusty and Fishbulb. Most of the people at the meet were regulars, but they did their best to make everyone feel very welcome.

Though I am now searching for a story that sells Pocky (thanks a lot Dusty <G>)....

After lunch some of the gang headed off to watch the Super Bowl while Dusty and Fishbulb planned to go to ride Haunted and check out TSI.

I really wanted to join them (or impose myself on them as the case may be) but I had a 6 hr drive ahead of me and it was past 3pm, so I decided I'd better be good and go home.

On the way out I had to stop and get my cotton candy (thanks Judimouse for the $ 2 loan) and along the way I saw a good friend of us all.

I made my way back to the parking structure and headed north.

Traffic was pretty good on the way out, so I made pretty good time. I made a stop in Coalinga for dinner at Red Robin and then made my way back home by 10 or so.

I did pretty well on this trip money wise.

Looking back I spent $ 100 on food over the 5 days or about $ 20 a day. I filled up twice, at $ 20 per tank (thank you for 45 mpg hybrid cars). The hotel cost me $ 250 for 4 nights w/tax.

So I spent about $ 390 on stuff this trip, plus the share of my AP purchase for this trip.

I actually had some discussions this trip about the cost of the AP and how to portion it out.

The pass cost me $ 349, and so far I've been in the park 16 days on it, so at most the cost is $ 22 per days so far. I plan 2 more trips which would make it 23 or 24 days so then the cost would go down to $ 15 or less per day.

So based on that my trip this time cost me about $ 88 for 4 days in the park or $ 475-500 overall.

But I also got about 12 days of free parking, so that is $ 130 worth. It could be argued some days I would have walked, but I figure I would have parked at least 4 or 5 days, and I still got the benefit of parking.

I also estimate I spent about $ 100 on food for 4 trips, which works out to $ 400 in food, and I saved 15% so there is another 50-60 saved.

Taking these into account, you subtract $ 60 worth of food, so the pass now cost me $ 289. Factoring in parking lowers the cost to between $ 169 (if I count all the parking cost) and $ 235 (if I count half of it).

Based on these figures, my per day cost now could be as low as $ 11 per day, which would make the net cost of the trip as low as $ 425.

However you add it up, the PAP is a great deal.

If I do two more trips and go in the park maybe 8 more days with 6 more of parking, and $ 200 more of food then the cost really gets good. Taking the $ 169 figure I have now (counting all parking), then subtract $ 70 for the all the new parking and $ 30-40 for food and my net cost for the PAP is only $ 59 for a year. This doesn't even count if I buy merchandise.

$ 59 per year for 20-25 days works out to two dollars a day, and thats for a non local.

Anyway thats the trip and I hope you don't mind the commentary on the PAP cost. I have been toying with it for a while and figured it was easier to post here than in a separate thread.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this and i will post my Nixon library pictures by the weekend.

• For You!

Nice report - a little delayed, but well worth the wait. Good job!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    Nice report - a little delayed, but well worth the wait. Good job!
    Thanks and sorry for being greedy last night, but I decided to sleep instead of write LOL...

• Grumpy old man

Very nice report. HoJo's is such a nice hotel. Though the internet access confounded me in our room last June. The plug being on the night stand, but the cord barely long enough for it to reach you if you have your laptop with you on the bed.

And Woody is really really tall!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Loved the report; bummed I couldn't meet you!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast