• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Phantom Boats info?

I'm curious about this retired attraction, mainly because it was closed so quickly, and because Yesterland has very little information on it. I also heard that a bunch of boats and guests disappeared one day, but that's probably a myth.

Anyone?

• That's Hawt

1955-1956, Tomorrowland Boats, renamed Phantom Boats in 1956
    The boat engines were unreliable, and this became the first permanent attraction to be removed from Disneyland.

That is about all I can find.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

you can see a pic of a phantom boat on this preview

http://www.extinct-attractions-club....ct_detail&p=29
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I'm curious about this retired attraction, mainly because it was closed so quickly, and because Yesterland has very little information on it. I also heard that a bunch of boats and guests disappeared one day, but that's probably a myth.

Anyone?
    Acourdig to the comedic site disneylies.com (great Satire..)

Quote Originally Posted by disneylies.com
    The Phantom Boats were one of the strangest failures in Disneyland history. They were originally a water version of the Autopia, allowing guests to imagine that they were piloting their own small, stylishly designed craft through the waters of Tomorrowland. The ride was not particularly popular, but Disneyland management never got a chance to consider closing it. One afternoon in 1956, in broad daylight, all of the boats mysteriously disappeared, guests and all.

Nobody actually saw the disappearance. There was a turn in the Phantom Boats' course completely hidden by trees, and the testimony of guests present on that fateful day is in agreement that boats that went around that turn simply never appeared again. This disappearance remains unexplained to this day, much like the disappearance of the entire Busch Gardens theme park from nearby Van Nuys.

The Phantom Boats were found floating, abandoned, in the Submarine Lagoon in 1972, their riders having vanished without a trace and leaving no clue as to their disposition. The disappearance of the guests from an undamaged attraction remains one of the most famous theme-park mysteries. Some have linked the disappearance to the "Anaheim Triangle" -- an area of Anaheim in which bizarre disappearances often take place, but since this triangle is only about two feet in height and located within a mock grave yard in Knotts Berry Farm, this seems unlikely.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I'm guessing they went onto a new track, were taken backstage, and the guests were let off the boat

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    and this became the first permanent attraction to be removed from Disneyland.
    I love the wording of that.