Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1

    • Premium Youngling and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Making your Starbucks beverage
    Posts
    3,796

    Kinda Disappointed

    Now I am not one to complain about things at the resort and I just posted about how I cant stand people who complain about DL but I couldn't help but notice a few things tonight...

    The Aladdin Show:
    • Genie- He was terrible! He didn't even make a good entrance. I remember the first time I saw the show, Genie would make his entrance by saying, "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's Genie!" and the crowd would scream and applaud. Tonight, he just popped up and said "Its Genie" and smiled really big and the audience didn't really know whether they should clap or not so I was kind of a spatter of an applause. He also went too long with some of his jokes( You would look better from Jafar. Sultan Peppershaker) Well he did about 10 of these and you could tell the audience wasn't liking it, nor did the rest of the cast on stage.
    • Jasmine- Don't get me wrong, the woman that plays Jasmine has a beautiful voice and can really hit some high notes, but I just have one problem with her, she sounds like she is crying throughout the whole show! Even when she notifies the guards that she is a princess, she still sounded like she was crying
    • Aladdin- Well he was basically out of breath the whole time and he didn't vere off of the script like the old Aladdin used to do.
    • Other cast- It looked like thier was kind of a fued between two of the extras while on stage. It was between the heavy set girl that is in the electric wheelchair every once in a while and some other snotty looking girl. Well the snotty girl would always hit the heavey girl with whatever prop she had at the moment, like some long ribbon she had on the end of a stick or the shiny towels they swing around at the end of the show. The expression on the heavy girl every time she was hit was a displeased, you son of a female dog look and then a really big grin like nothing happened. Kinda akward
    Food:
    • The only problem I had with food tonight was when we bought a loaf of sourdough bread in DCA, it was kinda stale
    Good things!
    • I was able to say Hi to Sam, Sadako, and aerinpegadrak in the park tonight
    • Perfect conditions for fireworks. There was actually so little wind that when the shells went off and released all of thier smoke, it kinda just stayed there and blocked a little bit of the fireworks. Good or bad, I am not sure.
    • No crowd control ropes were used tonight so I wasn't being hit with one the whole time I was waiting for the fireworks
    • Almost all of the tarps are off of the castle. Good or bad, I am not quite sure.
    • I ALMOST COMPLETELY FORGOT SOMETHING! About 5 min. before the fireworks started, i heard what sounded like a horse trotting and I was wondering what it was. It started to get louder so I looked around, they were coming right towards me! It was 2 CM's, one galloping, and one following the galloper with 2 coconut halves clapping them together just like in The Holy Grail. I was laughing so hard. All I could think of in my head was "Bring out your dead! (Dong) Bring out your dead!" That really made my night
    Yes I know, this would be better with pictures but I actually forgot my camera at home today (I was pissed)

    Random question that I came up with while getting on the tram tonight...
    Would anybody happen to know how much horsepower the trams have? I sat in the far back and saw how extraordinarily long the trams were and how many people were on each car and it got me wondering how much power it takes to move all of that weight

    That's it for me

    AS1
    Last edited by Abominable Snowman; 02-03-2007 at 12:15 AM.

  2. #2

    • All you need is LOVE
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dland USA
    Posts
    9,141

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    Thanks for sharing


  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    I was at the park too tonight and the fireworks smoke was worse than desired. Still great, because we actually got to see the show.

    The best thing about the Aladdin show is the chick in the motorized chair. It's like, here's a show where no one would even think twice about them NOT hiring a disabled person, and yet Disney went ahead and judged her on her abilities in the show and not on her disability.

    I mean, entertainment is a business where you can really discriminate against disabled people because the excuse might be that you need to be ambulatory even though it's NOT that important to the part. But it's awesome they looked past that and hired someone qualified who happened to be disabled.

    Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to cast her as Aladdin who needs to be a bit more active, but she's a great addition to the cast nontheless and detracts nothing from the stupid show in my opinion.

  4. #4

    • I'm listening.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    131

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    My guess is that the tram engines develop around 600-700 horsepower.

  5. #5

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,357

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    The best thing about the Aladdin show is the chick in the motorized chair. It's like, here's a show where no one would even think twice about them NOT hiring a disabled person, and yet Disney went ahead and judged her on her abilities in the show and not on her disability.

    I mean, entertainment is a business where you can really discriminate against disabled people because the excuse might be that you need to be ambulatory even though it's NOT that important to the part. But it's awesome they looked past that and hired someone qualified who happened to be disabled.

    Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to cast her as Aladdin who needs to be a bit more active, but she's a great addition to the cast nontheless and detracts nothing from the stupid show in my opinion.
    I like that she is cast in the chorus, as well, but I really don't understand the reason she needs to be moving all over the stage in a motorized wheelchair.

    It's as if Disney is trying to use her to garner these kinds of kudos because the producers want her physical disability to be noticed. Her character could just as easily be depicted as being seated on the stage, or, at least, a non-motorized wheelchair could be made to look as if it belongs in an old Arabian city.

    I actually find the fact that Anne Hamburger, and the other producers, made the motorized wheelchair a part of the blocking to be somewhat patronizing in an offensive, self-serving way.

    The entire chorus doesn't have to dance. But, someone could use a non-motorized wheelchair to do so, if he or she wanted. It would certainly be more in keeping with Aladdin's story and show, and one would have to look for the disability, instead of having the producers advertise it and be applauded for their progressive casting decision.

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I like that she is cast in the chorus, as well, but I really don't understand the reason she needs to be moving all over the stage in a motorized wheelchair.
    I completely disagree with everything you've said here. Disney could have just as easily said, hey, a wheelchair of any kind doesn't belong in Agrabah! If you lived back then you'd be left to die in a ditch!

    It doesn't detract from a show where the Genie is making pop culture references. In fact I was kind of getting into the drama of it all and everything the Genie showed up I was like, oh gosh, another Jessica Simpson reference? Okay okay hurry up and do it and get off stage.

  7. #7

    • Defunct Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    42

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    • I ALMOST COMPLETELY FORGOT SOMETHING! About 5 min. before the fireworks started, i heard what sounded like a horse trotting and I was wondering what it was. It started to get louder so I looked around, they were coming right towards me! It was 2 CM's, one galloping, and one following the galloper with 2 coconut halves clapping them together just like in The Holy Grail. I was laughing so hard. All I could think of in my head was "Bring out your dead! (Dong) Bring out your dead!" That really made my night
    I'm glad you liked that. Our guest control crew likes to do that (when management isn't lurking over our back). Glad to know that these CMs were able to make your day special.

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    I have always loved the Aladdin show, and I hope they bring the production back up to where it was the first season it was opened.
    It was so impressive, the theater, the effects, and of course the most important element is the stage presence of the actors!
    It is worth the effort to keep up the energy for a new audience every performance. I hope they bring it back up to par.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

  9. #9

    • Tom Chaney R.I. P.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Just somewhere south of dysfunctional
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    It's as if Disney is trying to use her to garner these kinds of kudos because the producers want her physical disability to be noticed. Her character could just as easily be depicted as being seated on the stage, or, at least, a non-motorized wheelchair could be made to look as if it belongs in an old Arabian city.

    I actually find the fact that Anne Hamburger, and the other producers, made the motorized wheelchair a part of the blocking to be somewhat patronizing in an offensive, self-serving way.
    I find it very offensive that you think that a person in a motorized wheelchair should not be treated the same as someone who has no disabilities.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE





    PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    errwhere.
    Posts
    405

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    The whole Aladdin show experience pretty much depends on the cast. Some are really good, some aren't. I always watch a couple times and videotape the shows to get the best actors. I also like how the handicapped woman is able to be in the show, and she is actually a pretty good singer. Here's an article about her. http://keikolover.tripod.com/aladdin/OCRegister.html
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

  11. #11

    • Never Look Back
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,321

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    Thanks for sharing AS1...


    I have actually never seen the Aladdin Show at DCA...just never thought about doing it I guess...

  12. #12

    • ...TWO BITS!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, USA
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    I was taping the show couple years back I guess. And it was probably the worst showing I saw, too bad I have it all on tape. I think I had the non-1st choice cast members with maybe the exception of the Jafar actor and couple others. I even have the flying carpet recorded broken during the show. Then everyone ended up seeing 2 Aladdins and 2 Jasmines.

    "You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

    "With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Temecula, California
    Posts
    9,153

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    this would be better with pictures but I actually forgot my camera at home today (I was pissed)



    Thanks for sharing. My camera broke the day before the meet on Sunday. I felt the same about my camera like you did to yours.

  14. #14

    • my two sunshines
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,434

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    You know, with the shows it really all depends on which cast - there have been so many times when I've seen the Billies (same cast tho) and they weren't funny at all - same with Aladdin, same with the Laughing Stock - could be an off day - it happens. Maybe your just burnt out on the show?

  15. #15

    • We wants the Redhead
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central, CA
    Posts
    508

    Re: Kinda Disappointed

    I have never seen the show before. Now I want to see it and see how well it goes.
    Janet
    John 3:16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I am still going to be disappointed with DCA even after the refurb
    By Frosty Bear in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
  2. At the parks and a bit disappointed...
    By MickeysGlove28 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 06:01 PM
  3. Eragon - Was anyone else disappointed?
    By steamboatpete in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 12:11 AM
  4. am i going to be disappointed?
    By GrimmGreen in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 04:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •