Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Turtle Talk with Crush

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    The technology on the show was amazing. I went in the show for my birhday and i guess the members from my party told the CM to pick me. It was a pretty cool experience.
    Ooh, did he sing you a birthday song? He sang happy birthday during my birthday week ( coz one kid had a birthday pin and a bunch of other people were there celebrating their birthdays too). It's so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by wickeddisneygurl View Post
    over the summer we went and this child asked crush what the names of his children were. he got this confused look and proceded to name ALL of his children! it was amazingly quick thinking!
    Oh goodness, i gotta ask that question!
    Disneyland Photos:
    01.02.2006 (facebook album)
    02.25.2006 - Totally random trip
    Spring break 2006 - WALT DISNEY WORLD (also has some random spring break pics in)
    08.01.2006 -Club 33 trip!
    My first MC trip report!
    More to come, of course! =D

Deluxe Annual Pass purchased - 12.09.2006

• Comin' at ya!

I would ask "Is it true Nemo was found dead?"

Not really, but where is this thing? I've never seen it. Is it in that building with all the interactive stuff in DCA?
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

The first two or three times we went to "Crush", it was fun. After that, it was boring and tiresome. Too much repetition of the same gags. This is a DCA's "HISTA" waiting to happen.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    The first two or three times we went to "Crush", it was fun. After that, it was boring and tiresome. Too much repetition of the same gags. This is a DCA's "HISTA" waiting to happen.
    I'm going to have to agree here. After seeing it more than a few times, I got bored of it. Same animation sequences, same questions, etc. It was very exciting the first time I saw it, but now it just lacks the same "magic".
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
    I've seen it three times, twice here & once in Florida. The best was when one of the kids (about 5) asked him about Nemo. Crush told him that he (Nemo) had gotten lost one time and he had to help find him.

"Took about two hours," Crush said. The audience got it. Kid didn't. There was a long pause, and then Crush swipes his flipper over his head like "that one went right over you, didn't it?"
    I got a similar response when I asked Crush:

" Is there going to be a sequel to 'Finding Nemo' "?

Crush looked confused and said "Whoa, they made a MOVIE about that?
    well, Nemo was lost for about 98 minutes, one time."

• Circle of Ancients

My family loves Turtle Talk.....especially my hubby! We always have to go see it when we're there and the show is almost always really good! The last one we went to was the best!

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    Crush is so great - I loved the bikini bit by the way - I had never seen that.

We thought that was what Crush was going to go get from behind the rock , but instead he came back with something different that was so funny! I don't want to say what it was because I don't want to spoil it. But every time I saw that item in the park the rest of the weekend , it made me giggle!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post

I think they've started shaking it up again. We heard a whole bunch of new jokes and the CM was really good at ad-libbing!

• Comin' at ya!

I love adlibbing in disneyland.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I'll have to go see it again, then. The whole point of the technology is the ability to make the attraction fresh, new and spontaneous. If the show becomes predictable and repetative, then it will fail.

Glad to hear that new things are being injected.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

To be honest, the first half is pretty much the same all the time. It's the second half, when the kids (and maybe some a-dults) ask all the questions that makes it more fun. Unless everyone asks the same question all the time (the only question I've seen repeated is "Crush what's your favorite color?" and that's a short question), then it's always something new. ^_^
    Disneyland Photos:
    01.02.2006 (facebook album)
    02.25.2006 - Totally random trip
    Spring break 2006 - WALT DISNEY WORLD (also has some random spring break pics in)
    08.01.2006 -Club 33 trip!
    My first MC trip report!
    More to come, of course! =D

Deluxe Annual Pass purchased - 12.09.2006

The funniest thing I have ever heard at Turtle Talk was one time when Crush brough out the bikini and asked the kids what it was. The little boy answered "It's a bra" and my friends and I couldn't stop laughing. Crush then proceded to ask what it was for, and the little boy replied that it was for girls.

• Comin' at ya!

That's funny

• Minion

My wife and I went to Turtle Talk with Crush after it opened at DCA and it was a Magical Disney Experience.

We went to it thinking it was just for kids. It isn't. The adults enjoyed it just as much as the kids. The interaction is wonderful and the responses from Crush were so fun.

What really made this attraction magical was this:

There was a mom with her son who was handicapped (mentally). She got the microphone and was able to talk to Crush about her son and how he had ridden Tower of Terror 3 times. Crush then went from responding to the mom to responding to her 20 yr. old son. He was so excited that Crush was talking to him. My wife and I teared up and remembered...this is what Walt wanted.

We haven't been back to Turtle Talk with Crush since then, but we always remember that Disney Moment that touched our lives.

• Senior Minion

I just want to echo that it is indeed an incredible use of technology, which is a lot of what Walt was all about, and it can give you that true "Walt Wow" experience. And it's unique--you don't see anything like this anywhere else but in a Disney Park.

We've seen it a number of times, and each time has been both different and delightful. It's another great example of when WDC does something right.

• Minion FOREVER!

To the point about how the CGI matches the sounds... it's actually pretty easy... each
    sound that we make has a specific facial position associated with it... ex: "O" (oh)
    we always make w/ lips rounded. Anyway, the WDI folks (well actually Pixar)
    when they made "Finding Nemo" made all the positioning when they made the
    actual movie (that's how they animate the facial expressions).

Once they developed the system that can analyze the sounds in real time (as
    being said), it was a relatively simple thing to "morph" to the CGI graphic
    (i.e. Crush's face) to that facial expression that corresponds to that sound (phoneme).
    [On 2nd thought, this is probably all pre-calculated/recorded, they just display the changes
    directly to Crush's face. Pre-animating and letting the system display is a lot easier than
    morphing which takes compute power and won't look different in the final result]

The big trick here is the processing power for this. And do the voice
    change (BTW. there are toys that do similar things but nowhere near as well).

Yeah, I used to work on this technology a decade ago... used to always say
    "If I only had more speed, we'll be able to do a WHOLE lot more...."

BTW. really nice story, disneyland255... thanks for sharing!

First post ever! I love this site...

Anyway, the first time I saw Turtle Crush, an older girl (maybe like 12-13) asked Crush what he thought about turtle soup. His eyes got really wide and he hid behind a rock for a few seconds. Then he peeked out from the rock and said "Hey dudes, is that crazy girl gone?" It was hilarious!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast