• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Disneyland 2000's: A Slow Decade?

For the last five years of this decade, Disneyland hasn't got the best new attractions like it has in past decades. If you look at the timeline, we have nothing really to show for it except the 50th Anniversary Celebration. Alot of these are my viewpoints and those of many other individuals.

2000:
    Autopia: not really a new attraction, just a combination of the old ones, new cars, and a new queue.
    A short-lived "45 years parade" that was considered not very good.
    A new parade called "Parade of the Stars" which had some moments was a good parade.
    "Believe, there's Magic in the Stars", a great new fireworks show.
    2001:
    Club Buzz Stage: A terrible replacement to the previous Tomorrowland Stage, with a show entitled "Calling all Buzz Scouts". The stage has never been recieved well.
    A newly revised "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" which has not been very liked compared to the original and the first revisement.
    2002:
    The only thing new to this year was the fantasyland theater show entitled "Mickey's Detective School" which replaced the well recieved Animazement.
    2003:
    The disliked "Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh", a clone of the Disneyworld attraction, very cheaply created.
    2004:
    "Snow White: An Enchanting Musical", a worthy Fantasyland show.
    2005:
    Many attractions such as Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, etc. recieved refurbishments and revisions for the 50th anniversary celebration.
    "Remember...Dreams Come True", described as a spectacular new fireworks show.
    "Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years", a good exhibit and film on the history of Disneyland.
    A new Space Mountain that imagineers say will be really fun and a great addition.
    "Happiest Faces" collages and "Hidden 50's" which adds to the fun of the celebration.
    A decorated new castle which looks amazingly beautiful.
    "Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams", to many, it's your typical average parade and is a good parade, nothing special.
    "Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters", a clone of Disneyworld's, it is a good ride and a good addition.

I know that we are a little over half into the decade, but I hope we get something really big in the next 4 and a half years. Just think if the 50th anniversary wasn't this decade, then we would really have nothing to show for it. What do you think, do you think this has been a slow decade?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Note: 2000 - Late 2003 were the Pressler/Harris era.

Man does it show.
    -Monorail Man

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    For the last five years of this decade, Disneyland hasn't got the best new attractions like it has in past decades. If you look at the timeline, we have nothing really to show for it except the 50th Anniversary Celebration. Alot of these are my viewpoints and those of many other individuals.

2000:
    Autopia: not really a new attraction, just a combination of the old ones, new cars, and a new queue.
    A short-lived "45 years parade" that was considered not very good.
    A new parade called "Parade of the Stars" which had some moments was a good parade.
    "Believe, there's Magic in the Stars", a great new fireworks show.
    2001:
    Club Buzz Stage: A terrible replacement to the previous Tomorrowland Stage, with a show entitled "Calling all Buzz Scouts". The stage has never been recieved well.
    A newly revised "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" which has not been very liked compared to the original and the first revisement.
    2002:
    The only thing new to this year was the fantasyland theater show entitled "Mickey's Detective School" which replaced the well recieved Animazement.
    2003:
    The disliked "Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh", a clone of the Disneyworld attraction, very cheaply created.
    2004:
    "Snow White: An Enchanting Musical", a worthy Fantasyland show.
    2005:
    Many attractions such as Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones Adventure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, etc. recieved refurbishments and revisions for the 50th anniversary celebration.
    "Remember...Dreams Come True", described as a spectacular new fireworks show.
    "Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years", a good exhibit and film on the history of Disneyland.
    A new Space Mountain that imagineers say will be really fun and a great addition.
    "Happiest Faces" collages and "Hidden 50's" which adds to the fun of the celebration.
    A decorated new castle which looks amazingly beautiful.
    "Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams", to many, it's your typical average parade and is a good parade, nothing special.
    "Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters", a clone of Disneyworld's, it is a good ride and a good addition.

I know that we are a little over half into the decade, but I hope we get something really big in the next 4 and a half years. Just think if the 50th anniversary wasn't this decade, then we would really have nothing to show for it. What do you think, do you think this has been a slow decade?
    This is just my opinion DL but I think your being a little over critical, but that is your right. I think the answer to question comes down to two things:
    1) As previously mentioned on the previous post we just came out of a very poor management era (pressler/harris). I think that with CM Matt in charge things will start getting better.
    2. The current management style of Imagineering is really stifiling the creative process needed to ensure that the parks retain exciting and original rides/attractions. The only way I see things changing is a total realignment of senior management at Disney. Shaking up the the current board of directors probally wouldnt hurt either.
    I dont know if a total realingment of management is realistic but I believe it is neccesary to get this back on track to being the premier animation studio it once was.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Cynthia Harris and Paul Pressler sure no how to make Disneyland the cheapest place on earth. They dont know what the fans want and are the worst people you could ever hire to manage the most famous park in the world.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Minion

I think that it's worth pointing out that DCA opened in 2001 (I believe). Despite the inevitable remarks of how "cheap" DCA is, the entire expansion from Disneyland Park into Disneyland Resort was immense- New park, new hotel, Downtown Disney, restructuring of some of the area. No matter how much an individual dislikes DCA, I don't believe that it's opening can be forgotton- a lot of money was spent for that, money that probably would have fone to Disneyland otherwise.

• Sock Puppet

Disneyland in 2000 was by far the best it has been in a while! 2001 was not quite as good as they were without the rocketrods. 2002 was cool because it seemed like the lines were slightly shorter.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    I think that it's worth pointing out that DCA opened in 2001 (I believe). Despite the inevitable remarks of how "cheap" DCA is, the entire expansion from Disneyland Park into Disneyland Resort was immense- New park, new hotel, Downtown Disney, restructuring of some of the area. No matter how much an individual dislikes DCA, I don't believe that it's opening can be forgotton- a lot of money was spent for that, money that probably would have fone to Disneyland otherwise.
    I have to agree with this, while it's not part of Disneyland Park, the expansion is a major change to the resort. Say what you want about DCA, but it was an addition as was Downtown Disney and of course the parking structure.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Rock Star Minion

Yes, it's been a slow half-decade caused by years of neglect and decay.
    What are we going to do about it? As a wise monkey once said, "It doesn't matter; it's in the past!"
    CM Matt knows what's good. So far. First real test is Monsters Inc. ride.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Disneyland has more E-TIcket level attractions than any other Disney park.... BY FAR!!!!

DL isn't going to get more. The new E-Tickets are going to go into DCA.

You build E-Tickets to drive attendance. If your park is running below capacity, you add an E-ticket to get more people to come to your park.

Disneyland is at or above capacity. DCA is well below capacity.

DL isn't going to get more E-Tickets. The new E-Tickets are going to go into DCA.

You can hate the reality. You can shake your fists at the truth, and hold your breath until you turn blue, and you can stomp and whine and throw a fit......

But in the end, the truth remains. E-Tickets are built to increase attendance, and Disneyland is running full capacity without an E-Ticket for the last 10 years.

DCA needs the attendance boost, and it will get the new E-Tickets.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    No matter how much an individual dislikes DCA, I don't believe that it's opening can be forgotton- a lot of money was spent for that, money that probably would have fone to Disneyland otherwise.
    I disagree. The money would not have been spent in Disneyland had they not chosen to build a second gate. You don't spend money if you're not going to make more. They can't make more off Dineyland because the park is already full.

Had they not built DCA, the money would have either been spent on another park (DSP or DAK or MGM or EPCOT or HKDL or wherever else they thought they could get maximum return on investment) or it would not have been spent at all.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    I think it was due to DUMPING Money into that circus they built out in the old Parking Lot...
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth