Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Disney says that Superstar Limo is "infamous"

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    It was such a loser of an attraction, that prior to Splash and the renaming to "Critter Country"..the term "Bear Country" literally became Disney popular nomenclature to mean "dead end" or "dud" within Disneyland.
    Completely accurate. I thought as a junior high kid at the time that Bear Country was a new low at WDP. Bathrooms to the left (turned out to be the whole side of the street), 1 show, a massively cool hunting lodge that turned out to be an outdoor burger stand. The weenie was a weak arcade of maybe 3 or 4 games and a retail store fused onto a "Coke Corner" with mirrors to make the "bar" look a mile long. With their last two E tickets being Mansion and Pirates, I thought Bear Country was the example of lack of imagination. A by the numbers guys land crafted around one soso show. And I was only 12. No one ever thought of the fact that southern california is not the biggest market for country music. or bears.

I just saw it again in WDW after all these years and it's still pretty lame.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

I never saw the original show, but The Country Bear Vacation Hoedown gave me years of entertainment and pleasure during my childhood - and I didn't even like country music as a kid . I went to the show every trip and I never failed to come out of the theatre singing. I stopped going during my teenage years, and then I stopped going to DL altogether for a few years, and by the time I started going again, it was gone. I don't think I would go on it every trip anymore (I hardly go to any shows while I'm there anymore), but I'd still kind of like it to be there, somewhere - if not in Critter Country, in DCA - and I'd like anything to be there other than the version of Pooh they've got. I find it kind of ironic that they did a whole movie about the bears trying to stop an eeeeeeeeeevil developer wanted to tear down Country Bear Hall - and then they went and tore it down at Disneyland!

Never went on Superstar Limo, only saw the video, so I can't really compare it to Pooh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    I thought Bear Country was the example of lack of imagination. A by the numbers guys land crafted around one soso show. And I was only 12. No one ever thought of the fact that southern california is not the biggest market for country music...
    Well, at least it was much more popular in Florida.

But as far as "lack of imagination" goes...I think it was more of lack of enthusiasm.

While none on the Imagineers that worked on CBJ would probably admit it in public...I was fortunate enough to have had private conversations with virtually all involved in the creation of that attraction...and most of their "enthusiasm" was checked, to say the least. Here's a post in which I mentioned that, from last year:

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    Did you know that...

...many of the Imagineers that created Country Bear Jamboree hated Country Western Music, and created the show as a chop/parody of the genre. And many of them felt they had gone too far, and were certain they would be lynched when it debuted (deep in the South) at Walt Disney World.

One Disney Legend that worked on it told me [about the Florida debut], "We couldn't believe it. They loved it! We all breathed a sigh of relief and got a good night's sleep that night!"

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Well, at least it was much more popular in Florida.

But as far as "lack of imagination" goes...I think it was more of lack of enthusiasm.

While none on the Imagineers that worked on CBJ would probably admit it in public...I was fortunate enough to have had private conversations with virtually all involved in the creation of that attraction...and most of their "enthusiasm" was checked, to say the least. Here's a post in which I mentioned that, from last year:

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    One Disney Legend that worked on it told me [about the Florida debut], "We couldn't believe it. They loved it! We all breathed a sigh of relief and got a good night's sleep that night!"

I'll bet that was Bill Justice...
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234