Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Smile Re: Replacement for the Main Street Cinema

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Those Mickey Mouse cartoons are all supposed to have sound. So, you aren't even seeing them as their creators intended.

There are ample opportunities for such things as "Steamboat Willie" to find their way into D.C.A.
    I never really thought about that. I would like to see a little change in there. However, I DO LOVE the cool air inside, ESPECIALLY on a hot day!

I do like the Mickey cartoons though, and though this may sound a bit weird, I LOOOOOVE the fake ticket girl in the box office at the front! Keep her there! That's all I ask!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: Replacement for the Main Street Cinema

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    Bah, leave the Cinema alone. It gets really good counts, I never see it without at least a few people (and I'm in there pretty often), and for a lot of kids, this is the first time they've seen the early Mickey Mouse cartoons. (Hell, the first time I saw Steamboat Willie all the way through was at the Cinema.)
    I have to agree. Most folks cannot really get into the early parts of Walts career prior to Mickey Mouse unless they are being exposed to it as part of a biography, which incidently has already been done and is now showing at WDW in Florida.

Besides, most folks walk into Disneyland, come out from under the train tunnel out into Town Square, see Sleeping Beauty's Castle (read:wienie) and they are off and (practically) running down Main Street.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Basking in birthday love

Steamboat Willie has sound. If any of the others did, it would be too confusing, and you wouldn't be able to keep the "six shows at once" setup that people seem to enjoy. I think it says a lot to their quality that their stories are still understandable MOS.

Besides, I'm okay with the first exposure not being perfect. The Mickey Mouse shorts of the Ub Iwerks era are many, varied, and interesting. If it's enough to get kids interested so that they want to see more of those original cartoons as they were intended, that's good enough for me.

I love our Cinema. It made me so sad to walk down Main Street at the Magic Kingdom and see that it had been reduced to a shop. It's the one bit of Disney on the street, and while a teeny bit anachronistic, it's perfectly in tune with the spirit of the area.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Me and Tommy Kirk

You know what though? The last time I was there (about a month ago) there was a woman changing her little one's diaper inside. I've seen that often. I think people figure that because it's (mostly) empty and cool they feel free...

It would be nice to give it some kind of an update.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    ... The last time I was there (about a month ago) there was a woman changing her little one's diaper inside.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    You know what though? The last time I was there (about a month ago) there was a woman changing her little one's diaper inside. I've seen that often. I think people figure that because it's (mostly) empty and cool they feel free...

It would be nice to give it some kind of an update.
    We found a loaded diaper abandoned on a Jungle Cruise boat last week. I once saw a woman changing her son (her older son, probably 2 or 3) in front of Gibson Girls in the middle of the parade. It seems to be an epidemic.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I know it. Maybe the Babycare center needs to advertise more. That was the only place I went with my babies, and I wouldn't want to change them anywhere else! It's clean, they have all the suppies you need, and there's even a nice big trashcan put there specifically for poopy diapers!

FYI all you Mom's out there. Check out the Babycare center!! Back away from the cinema...

• Minion FOREVER!

PI, I thought that Plane Crazy was silent.... I thought that it's actually before
    Steamboat Willie which is the first "talkie" Mickey.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I'm not all that much of a purist, but this is one of those times where I say leave it as it is. The space is small and isn't meant to be an attraction that everyone comes to see all at once...the area wouldn't be able to accomodate. Even if the changes/updates were minimal, imagine the horde that would stampede over there...yikes! More than anything else, I think it plays good homage to Disney's beginings...without Mickey, Disneyland wouldn't be what it is.

Well, I would like it if the "woman" at the ticket booth looked a little more real...have some movement or something.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    PI, I thought that Plane Crazy was silent.... I thought that it's actually before
    Steamboat Willie which is the first "talkie" Mickey.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019278/trivia

Seems you are correct. it was released before S.W. as a silent, then rereleased with a soundtrack after S.W.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I recently visited the Main Street Cinema, and it was the first time I saw Steamboat Willie in its entirety. I love having the memory of seeing that cartoon at Walt Disney's original Disneyland. The Main Street cinema is one of the charming features that gives Disneyland's Main Street life and atmosphere unlike WDW's shopping mall version of Main Street. I hope the cinema stays for a long time. It is a fun, relaxing, and a breath of fresh air in a park that sometimes sends me into sensory overload.

• Merrily on my way to

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    Bah, leave the Cinema alone. It gets really good counts, I never see it without at least a few people (and I'm in there pretty often), and for a lot of kids, this is the first time they've seen the early Mickey Mouse cartoons. (Hell, the first time I saw Steamboat Willie all the way through was at the Cinema.)
    I LOVE the Cinema and couldn't agree more. The early cartoons just aren't out there anymore. You almost have to be looking for them. This is the one of the only places kids see them unless their parents are people like us. Last time I was in there a pair of brothers, perhaps six and eight years old, were laughing out loud. They had never seen a black and white Mickey cartoon before but were obviously enjoying themselves tremendously.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    That's actually not true, at least, not in the sense that the Main Street Cinema, as we know it today, was that way when Disneyland first opened.

I'm trying to say that the Main Street Cinema has been there since opening day. The place itself. Not the Mickey Mouse shorts.

• Can see my car from here

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I'm trying to say that the Main Street Cinema has been there since opening day. The place itself. Not the Mickey Mouse shorts.
    First it's poopy diapers and now it's Mickey's shorts? What's going on in that theatre? Maybe they should move it over to Hollywood Blvd. in DCA!

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'm Ook View Post
    First it's poopy diapers and now it's Mickey's shorts? What's going on in that theatre? Maybe they should move it over to Hollywood Blvd. in DCA!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast