Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Submarine Voyage Re-commissioning

When the Submarine Voyage opened in 1959, they had an "official" naval commissioning ceremony.

When the Submarine Voyage closed in 1998, they had an official decommissioning ceremony (admirals and all).

I wonder if they're planning to do a naval ceremony when they re-open the attraction?

I think it would be cool, I kind of dig Navy tradition. Has anyone heard about this?

I hope they break a bottle of Champagne over the hull.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Submarine Voyage Re-commissioning

Maybe they could just use computer-generated Admirals instead...(mean-spirited Pixar joke--and not a very good one, at that--sorry).
    I'd be surprised to see a real ceremony, but I'd like it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I doubt if they will do anything at all. It seems the only openings they make a big deal of anymore is when a new Pirates movie is released.

• Closed Account

Since the submarines do not represent US Naval vessels anymore, but rather privately-owned exploration subs, I doubt the Navy will be involved in any way.

• Disney worshipper/geek

They don't do stuff like that anymore, and I think that's sad. It shows less pridein the park. For Christmas, I got the Walt Disney Treasures: Your Host Walt Disney, and watching the Disneyland '59 ceremonies was so interesting. A whole parade! Ceremonies that suited all the attractions. Not just some press party.

The park used to be something that the company could be proud of, now it seems like they're just trying to keep it afloat the way they do things. They aren't actually, but that's the attention and care they give it. The pomp and circumstance over attractions made them more valuable.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post
    They don't do stuff like that anymore, and I think that's sad. It shows less pridein the park. For Christmas, I got the Walt Disney Treasures: Your Host Walt Disney, and watching the Disneyland '59 ceremonies was so interesting. A whole parade! Ceremonies that suited all the attractions. Not just some press party.

The park used to be something that the company could be proud of, now it seems like they're just trying to keep it afloat the way they do things. They aren't actually, but that's the attention and care they give it. The pomp and circumstance over attractions made them more valuable.
    I couldn't agree more!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post

Don't forget, the 1959 ceremony was a made-for-TV event, so there was much more fanfare. This wasn't an event just for Disneyland guests. Also, it was a rare instance when multiple major attractions (the Matterhorn, the Monorail and the Subs) were grand opening on the same day--another cause for celebration.

I'd like to think there will be some sort of official "launch" of the Nemo-subs. Disneyland can and does still stand on ceremony. If you doubt it, just hang out in Town Square at sundown each day and watch the flag retreat.

• Comin' at ya!

I bet they'll have SOMETHING just not anything near as great as the first one.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Closed Account

Maybe they can have a dentist christen each vessel?

• Beach Expert

You know, I saw that Disneyland '59 episode and noticed something interesting. When the Navy guy is giving his speech, look at Walt Disney in the background. It looks like he is licking his lips, because it appears to be a hot day, and maybe his lips are dry. But it looks like occasionally he is actually mouthing some of the phrases that the Navy guy is saying in his speech! If some can review this again for me and see what they think. I just think it is interesting that Walt had that much control over everything, he even was in control of the Navy guy's speech!

If they're not going to christen the attraction in an official Naval capacity, they could at least do it like private christenings are done.

There are 8 submarines.

When a ship is christened, it is hit by a bottle of Dom Perrignon by a woman who is known as the ship's godmother.

Disney (if they're smart) could auction off slots for each of the boats to be christened and the winner could be each sub's godmother.

The money from the auction of course could go to a worthy charity and the godmother's name could appear on a small nameplate in the sail of the submarine.

Just an idea for a good ceremony.

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    Disney (if they're smart) could auction off slots for each of the boats to be christened and the winner could be each sub's godmother.

The money from the auction of course could go to a worthy charity and the godmother's name could appear on a small nameplate in the sail of the submarine.

Just an idea for a good ceremony.
    Or bring back some of the great actresses and voices from the past, or Nemo related: Julie Andrews, Angela Lansbury, Jodi Benson, Ellen DeGeneris, Annette, etc.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I actually would be very surprised if they didn't do some kind of ceremony. May 4, 2005 featured big openings for the media for Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters and for the Disneyland, The First 50 Years movie and exhibit. A few months later, there was a ceremony for Space Mountain as well. Disney does still take pride in the park.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    If they're not going to christen the attraction in an official Naval capacity, they could at least do it like private christenings are done.
    It may be tradition to christen a ship - but it's also tradition not to RENAME that ship after it's been christened. It's bad luck. And we all know how well the subs did after they were renamed in 1989.

It's bad luck.

• Shubisha

Who says they don't do anything anymore? Yeah pirates got one... so did space mountain :P The submarines should get one too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast