Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Annual Passholders Downtown Disney Dining Event

On Monday, February 5th, the Patina Restaurant Group again held an event for annual passholders in their three downtown Disney restaurants: Catal, Naples, and Tortilla Jo's, from 5-8pm.

Last year was the first time we became passholders, and with our new passes, we attended the event in April, 2006. At the time, the manager of Tortilla Jo's told us that they intended to hold the events every six months, and then made us wait ten months to see if they were indeed going to hold another event. Last year we hit Tortilla Jo's first, then Catal, and then Naples, and after seeing how crowded Catal was, and how it seemed they had run out of almost every type of food, we decided to start there first.

When we got there at 5:20 p.m., the line to check in was already very lengthy, and they had run out of a beef dish everyone said was delicious, and also ran out of churros. I noticed that instead of having the event on the West side of the restaurant, they had a more orderly system of having people check in, and line up for food, on the East side, which would deposit people on the outdoor dining deck, and made it more difficult for people to cut in and grab additional portions of the food. They also didn't seem to have a list of names this year, but instead were checking annual passes, collecting money, and giving out wristbands, which could be used at each location. Instead of making it "all you can drink", they had drink tickets, one for each location. Still a great deal for $10.00.

Catal had a compressed salad that was delicious, mixed olives that normally appear as rather expensive appetizer on their menu, and Paella that was delicious, with big chunks of chicken breast, saffron and tomato rice, and steamed mussels, which mixed Valencian style and Catalan style paella that only purists would even care about. Gone were the delicious prosciutto wrapped jumbo shrimp from last year.

Here's the plate from Catal:

And here's the Sangria at Catal:

The Sangria was delicious. We ran into Darkbeer, Deogee's Mom, and Judimouse there, and also Mcow1 and Mary Read at this location.

Next it was onto Tortilla Jo's. I have had horrible service at this restaurant, but last year it was the hit of the event for us, with the taco bar with fajita beef and chicken, live mariachi music, and a very talented balloon animal artist for the kids. Compared to Catal, Tortilla Jo's has much more room to spread out, and the atmosphere was more relaxed. I ran into Sadako at this location.

The food was sweet corn tamales (great presentation, but not very satisfying), chicken wings and legs, and flautas. Chips and salsa, and brownie bites, were also available. Here's the plate:

And they had delicious, and very STRONG, margaritas available for your drink ticket:

After that, I stumbled to Naples. After the basic pizza and tortellini of last year, I wasn't expecting much, but this was also a hit. In addition to Pizzas, they had bacon wrapped scallops, and stuffed mushrooms, which were delicious, and a selection of four types of desserts, including a delicious tiramisu. They also had white wine as the drink selection. Here's my plate:

Perhaps just enjoying the atmosphere, maybe a little tipsy, we hung out at Naples for a while. I love the view, fountain in their outside patio, and the lighting inside and out:

The wife and tadpole seemed to enjoy it also:

Walking back afterwards, I took a picture of the Uva Bar:

Saw the display in Illuminations (note that Darkbeers photo rules thread states that you can't take pictures in Illuminations -- luckily, I was standing outside their doors) :

Saw some of the always unique stuff for sale in Studio 56:

And the exterior of the Rainforest Cafe:

• World Traveler

Re: Annual Passholders Downtown Disney Dining Event

Great photos .... everything looked yummy.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Great pix! Thank you for sharing, I wanted to go so bad. Looks like it was wonderful

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Neep meep beep

The margaritas were VERY wonderful!

• I Love Disneyland!!

Great report Frogberto!!
    I wasn't aware of this event. It looks like a lot of fun. Great pictures as always!
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

• Still wants to be a cat!

Went last year, but was not able to make it this year. Nice to see Naples improved on their selection of food. Will try for next time, it really is a GREAT bargain!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Feeling LOVED

Looked like fun....thanks for sharing
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Great pics. Like always it was wonderful to run into you that night. For me Catal was the hit of the night with it's large selection of items. When we went through the food line (about ten minutes after you, as you know) the meat dish was refilled and it was probably my favorite of the whole night. It was lamb, not beef, in kind of a tandoori like sauce with tzatziki sauce also and big hunks of a lamb sirloin. They were out of churros though and had very few of the risotto croquettes but everything tasted wonderful there.
    Mike

It was nice to have the opportunity to try these restauraunts all for the modest price of $10. My girlfriend and I hit Catal first right at 5:00. We got up their, got our Sangria and picked up a few appitizers before they brought the main courses out. The rice with shrimp and chicken was excellent, it had a little kick to it but it was worth it. The salad at Catal was also great as was the Sangria. The beef dish was excellent. The churros and rice pudding were my favorite dessert of the evening.

We then made our way over to Tortilla Joe's at 5:20, which was like Cal Screamin on a winter morning, a walk-on. There were no lines and when we arrived they were out of the sweet corn tamales. The chicken taquitos were very good, but the sweet corn tamales were worth waiting for. The Margiritas were very strong and the brownie was somewhat dry.

Last on the list was Naples, which I didn't care for too much. All they had out when we arrived was pizza and dessert, the other table was empty. But I don't care for scallops or mushrooms all that, so no big loss. I was expecting more from the pizza but it was stiff and nearly tasteless. Naples had White Zinfandel ready which was nice. I couldn't really stomach much more so we headed into the park for a few rides.

All in all we hit all three (drinks) restauraunts in about 55 minutes. Out of all restauraunts I would be more likely to return to Catal and Tortilla Joe's, they seemed to offer the tastiest food that appealed to me most.

AS A WORD OF CAUTION, don't drink three drinks and go directly to the teacups. That was a bad idea...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review and pictures. Out of curiosity when did you find out about the Patina event this time? I only found out about it 2 weeks prior and that makes it difficult when you live 6 hours away. I really want to go to it one of these years. In the meantime I appreciate MC'er's giving me their reviews.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Thanks for the review and pictures. Out of curiosity when did you find out about the Patina event this time? I only found out about it 2 weeks prior and that makes it difficult when you live 6 hours away. I really want to go to it one of these years. In the meantime I appreciate MC'er's giving me their reviews.
    Everyone found out about then. Patina didn't announce it until a couple weeks ago on that other site.
    Mike

• Neep meep beep

I kept asking people in line how they heard about it, and it was about 80% through Micechat, and 20% through Mouseplanet. If it wasn't for these message boards, no one would know about these events!

• Premium Youngling and

Wonderful pictures! Made my mouth water!

• Circle of Ancients

I didn't realize they had an event unless I missed it in the newsletter. Oh well, maybe next year.

Great pictures!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    I kept asking people in line how they heard about it, and it was about 80% through Micechat, and 20% through Mouseplanet. If it wasn't for these message boards, no one would know about these events!
    When I contacted them a day or two before the event was announced I was told that when everything was finalized the announcement would be made on mousepad.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast