• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

Question Have you ever converted a non-DL fan into a Fanatic?

Over the time of a year I managed to get a friend and her sister interested to want to go to Disneyland. I consider this akin to building Disneyland seeing how my friend, Debbie, is agoraphobic (there was a time when she would never leave her house), acrophobic (she hates letting her feet dangle, so no Soarin') and generally someone who wasn't given much exposure to the park.

I've shown her videos I made of DL (as well as my trip to WDWR) plus online videos (thank you ru42) and now she's telling me that we have to go to DL. I told her after my brother got married in May we could.

So I'm curious, have you ever converted someone that wasn't a big fan of the park into a major fan, if not an MC-er?
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Still wants to be a cat!

Re: Have you ever converted a non-DL fan into a Fanatic?

I converted my Hubby....Mr. Lightyear999, hard work, but well worth it!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

My husband did the same thing for me. lol

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Choosy Moms Choose Jeff

My brother and his wife had never been Disney fanatics. We had first visited WDW in 1975 and made a family trip three times after that first visit.

He had never been to DL and I finally got him to visit in 2002. Since that first visit, he has become a fanatic reading everything that he could on the history from Nickey Tour to all of David Koenig's books. He now subscribes to the E-Ticket and he makes yearly visits. He lives in Baltimore so that is saying something. We live in Indiana and make the yearly trip with him and his family.

We both own several of the Extinct Attraction Club videos and both wish that we had seen the mighty microscope, the old mine train, and several other classic but long gone attractions.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I too was converted by my hubby. We are coming back in two weeks for my son's 18th bday and bringing his gf who is a DL newbie and plan on bringing her into our 'cult'.

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Yup. My wife and my eldest daughter are now disney freaks like myself. A couple of my cousins and my wife's have becuase avid annual passholders. It rubs off on people when all they keep hearing is disney this and disney that.
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Beep Beep!

I converted my wife. It's not like she was anti-DL or anything just not passionate about it. She is now Our trip last year was her first in 35 years and was a magical time!
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• Eeyore smiling

Anyone who has ever gone with me to the Park. My husband always tells people who scoff at our love for disneyland, just go with her once, and you will be a convert. It never fails. Knowing the ins and outs of the Park, makes even a busy day like NYE magical. People always think I have magical powers, sometimes I get lucky, and it just appears that I have parted the ways for a great day. How can you go wrong at the happiest place on earth?

Here's a couple of posts [merged] that I made in another thread on this subject last year:

Perhaps hundreds. I'm not kidding.

Maybe I should go to work for Scientology. I could probably make a killing. I'm that good.

"Give me your cynics, your unhappy,
    Your huddled masses yearning,
    Though it ain't free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the clueless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my mousears beside the golden door."

Rather than give you one particular story...I'll give you a brief synopsis of my Modus Operandi with just one particular type of person, instead.

I've been asked to "indoctrinate" many a Hector Hardcase to Disney theme parks over the years. A few times even by some at Disney! You all know what I mean by Hector Hardcase, right? One of those folks that just thinks of Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom as some kiddie park. For some it's a first-timer visit, for other's it's their 5th. But they still think it's just kid's stuff.

"Your job Mr. Opus...if you should choose to accept it...is to 'do a number' on this person, and make sure they come out humming Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho."

What I often do with some of these Hectors is to try to make them see the Park from a different point-of-view first. And that point-of-view is often geared to their pre-existing point-of-view about the world or the park or business in general. Then after I've hooked 'em with that, it's usually pretty easy to expand into the realm of nostalgia, magic, and just plain fun.

Just one example would be to start to show-off the Magic Kingdom from more of a business point of view, rather than from the Mouse, Marceline or Walt kinda stuff that you tend to find on fan sites most often. Basically I show the park off as a product, and with that I point out all the attention to detail, the superior quality, and the science and instinctivness that lead to many features of the Park. I try to show them that Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom is to amusement parks, what Rolls Royce is to the car industry. That this place is the pinnacle of this type of product.

I try to lead them through the parks and re-focus their attention away from the Turkey Legs and Churros and Plush Poohs, and educate them on how the public is being lead......guided...and in a sense, manipulated...along a benign yet pre-determined path that fulfills the desires and wishes of the customer, and by extension...the company too.

From that I start to point out little hidden treasures. Not to interest them in the trivia and minutia of the place (though that might naturally happen, depending on the person)...but to show how the depth and detail of the experience can lead folks to feel like they are "discoverers" themselves, adding to the fulfillment of the experience. I try to show them how many elements of the park are about reassuring the customer, and how this leads to repeat business and a looser wallet. Sometimes at this point, I throw in a bit about the societal aspects of the Park.

From there I start to slowly (and hopefully unnoticeably) lead them away from the "commerce" and "customer" of the place, and into the realm of "emotion" and "guest." Pretty soon I inject the words "magic" and "nostalgia" into the mix. Soon I've "transitioned" them from the world of commerce, to where they start to understand just what makes up the "magic" of the place for so many millions. Soon the commerce and the real simple magic and charm of the place are as indistinguishable from one another, as Fess Parker is from Davy Crockett. Adding a touch of enthusiasm and respect for the product, usually seals the deal.

And before the poor bum leaves the place, he's properly indoctrinated...ah..I mean...enlightened...and can't wait to buy a few books on the place, and come back and bring their family and friends to show off what they now know.

They never had a chance. Just another notch in my magic wand.

Of course there are other types that don't require so much of a hard plan to win them over. Some just need to be told the info behind things and they go, "Wow! I never realized that!" Those type of folks want to believe, but just need to be shown the way. They're the easiest and most fun kind to "convert."

• The pride is back.

Yes, I'm proud to say I "converted" My Beloved. She wanted nothing to do with Disney for the longest time, but when we moved back to San Diego, and I got my AP, she started seeing how much fun I was having.

Two years ago, she spent one day with me at Epcot while she was at a veterinary conference, and enjoyed it (she'd been once as a teenager, but didn't do much, didn't remember much, didn't like it).

Then in March of last year, she was at another vet conference at the DLH and decided to go with me for a day or two.

We went back for two days in May...AT HER SUGGESTION (that's us in the first two seats on Splash in my avatar).

Now she has an AP as well, and she's the one that asks when we're coming back on the drive home.

Not only am I happy to have converted her, it just makes it all the more special that I get to share my love of DL with the most important person in my life.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I too was converted by my hubby. We are coming back in two weeks for my son's 18th bday and bringing his gf who is a DL newbie and plan on bringing her into our 'cult'.
    Does she know she's going to be baptized in the CoW?
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Banned User

I have managed to get some old friends a few years back in high school to go and enjoy themselves at the Walt Disney World parks. I really don't think i have pursuaded many people after that to go, and i have definently never converted any individual over to becoming a Fanatic.

I did try in some classes a few semesters ago, but it did not work well. It just is not meant to me.

• Senior Minion

A friend of mine who to me is a "hard as nails" person. The minute we walked into Town Square, he was a changed man and had a blast the entire day. He's too busy to join a forum site. But he still surfs for info and reads MiceAge.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.