Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: "Main Street, California" - a random idea I had for DCA's entry plaza

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92 View Post
    I think that the original idea is great.

I've got to go a little off-topic: The Dominguez residence was demolished back in 1966 for the Primeval World Diorama and new administrative buildings. Most of the space it took up is now used by Space Mountain. Sorry, just had to correct the info.
    The house is still intact and is currently being used as offices for Circle D.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Not meaning to sidetrack this thread further, but where is the Dominguez residence exactly? I've never seen it nor heard it still existed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Not meaning to sidetrack this thread further, but where is the Dominguez residence exactly? I've never seen it nor heard it still existed.
    The house is on the East side of the Circle D Ranch, which lies on the other side of the berm just North of Big Thunder Ranch.

The house was moved from its original location in 1954 or '55. And, the Dominguez family continued to live in it, backstage, for a large part of Disneyland's existence.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

I think this is the house?

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.p...house%3f%3f%3f___

if the link dosnt work go to live local and then search Disneyland and then head backstage towards Thunder Ranch and then birds eye view, move it to the east and right near the DLRR you can see a house sitting there almost as if DL grew up and the house didnt.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

I always thought that the California Missions would make a dramatic main street. It has a sense of adventure as well as distinctly californian. Something like this:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...MissionInn.jpg" or

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...go/archway.jpg"
    The shops could easily be in Mission styled buildings. The transportation hub would be themed to the 20's with a Train Depot taking the place of the fountain. Inside the train station would be the new home of Golden Dreams. Another idea I had was to place 5 bronze statues along the curb of the hub. In the center would be a prospector, to his right would first be a pioneer woman or Dust Bowl woman and next a Chineese railworker, to his left would be a 1920's girl fresh off the buss for Hollywood and beyond her would be a migrant worker. They would all be facing the depot, all coming to California with only a a few bucks and dreams.
    Last edited by Professortango; 02-09-2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: .

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I don't have my "E Ticket" magazines in front of me, so bear with me: They did an article on the Dominguez house, and I'm nearly certain there was a shot of the home being demolished (within the last few years). Anyone confirm/deny before I get home and check my source?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I don't have my "E Ticket" magazines in front of me, so bear with me: They did an article on the Dominguez house, and I'm nearly certain there was a shot of the home being demolished (within the last few years). Anyone confirm/deny before I get home and check my source?
    It is a real shame if they demolished this. It sounds like a nice old house. I have never seen pictures, but I am sure it wasn't that impressive looking, but the historical value would have been emense. What Disney should have done is donated it to the city of Anaheim, and then they should have moved it to a location where it could have been used as a museum or something. I know this would be expensive but it would have been a donation and Disney could have written it off.

• If We Can Dream It...

That isn't the house.

I got my info from the E-Ticket.
    - Horizonsfan

• The one, the only...

I like the 1950's idea better than the 1920's. When Walt opened Disneyland his Main Street was about 50 years prior. So there were still people who remembered that period. That helped keep it authentic. I think people who grew up in the 1950's enjoy that period and would enjoy it for the next few decades. Alas, people who grew up in the 1920's are mostly long gone.

The 1950's gives a chance to showcase classic cars, the beginning of Television, and ice cream shops. All these people can still relate to. The 1920's there were model T's, electric gadgets and **** skin coats. I don't see much interest nowadays for those things.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Minion

I like the "Roaring 20's"/"Jazz Age" as a thematic historical period - ev'rybody Charleston! - and I like the idea of bringing the Walt story into DCA to give it some context. I also really like the 50's as a historical period - ev'rybody do the Twist! - and the idea that you would walk out of DCA through a small Californian town and some orange groves and then find yourself facing DL. So Pragmatic Idealist's 20's enterance/50's exit idea would be really cool for that. The only thing is, I think it might confuse some guests who weren't familiar with the concept.

The other 20th-Century-decade-from-before-I-was-born that I'd like to see at DCA (and that I don't think I ever will) is the 60's, particularly in the "San Francisco" section - you know, the whole "if you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair" scene. But you never know, Disney made the "swingin'" 60's scene family friendly (albiet indirectly and anachronistically) in movies like "The Jungle Book" and "The Aristocats".

Whenever I think 50's, I imagine cheap one mindset portrayals such as Johnny Rockets or Ruby's. Everything is cute, quiet, Mr. Sandman plays as Marty rounds the corner, etc. To me, this doesn't sound like the enterence to California Adventure. The turn of the Century was a time of change where the hustle and bustle of the city life was beginning to emerge. Two worlds together, horses and cars on the same busy streets. This was a period of action. The 50's is always seen as a period of innocence and stepping back from the world after the harsh 30's and 40's. A regression into suburbia and family values. Not that dynamic in my opinion.

The 20's however, was another period of exciting change. Cities grew upward, more entertainment venues began to be added for the growing middle class, glitz and glamour were huge, moving pictures, jazz, workers rights, steel, organized crime.

And the 60's San Fransisco...I don't think Disney wants CMs dressed as hippies and refrences to flower children and the war. While this is not what was only happening in SF, it would be very odd to ignore these issues completely when representing that specific time period.

P.S. I know that the 50's were more than just sock hops and shakes at the Soda Fountain, but I imagine this would be the iconic way Disney would present the time perion in a main street fashion.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The problem with the 50s: Grease, Johnny Rockets, real 50s shows on Nick at Nite, Happy Days, Walk the Line.... they're always on reruns all around us. It's all played out.

The 1920s-30s were so decadent, that Disney can put on a more dazzling show. Lots of deco and wow factor, and gives us all a chance to experience a time we don't remember, through Disney rose colored glasses. Sounds more immersive, fresh, fun, and more repeatable.

Cue the big band music, miastro.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

P.S. Give us an era from before the Pacific Electric Red Cars were torn out.
    Then they can go from the Hollywood Tower Hotel, to the entrance plaza, back out to the Pier, with stops along the way... Gives you a fun ride through the park, gets you off your feet, and they could even use the trolleys in their parades the way Fantasmic uses the Frontierland watercraft, or how the characters travel through Toontown on the Jolley Trolley in the Disneyland commercials.

• Omnimover Groover

[quote=Professortango;1394775] Everything is cute, quiet, Mr. Sandman plays as Marty rounds the corner, etc.

Yeah, I actually did immediately think of Nov 5, 1955 - Hill Valley, CA <Back To The Future>
    People aren't successful because they have never failed.....they are successful because failing hasn't stopped them.

One of the reasons the Disneyland Hotel embracing mid-Century Modernism is attractive is because Disney would be able to recreate the era in which Disneyland was introduced to the world without having to resort to the Johnny Rockets- and "Happy Days"-style 1950's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12