Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Hiding in the shadows

At what age did you or will you let kids run free

The getting lost in DL thread got me thinking, what age do you feel it is appropraite for kids to be able to go off on their own at the DL parks? I cant totally remember what age I was allowed to go off on my own, but I think it was before I was a teenager, but that was also before DCA where there was really no where to go outside of the DL gates (aside from the hotel).

My kids are far too young for me to worry about this yet, but my nieces are 8 and 10 and ask to go off on their own and I dont let them.

So what age did you go off on your own or what age will you let your kids go off on their own?

Re: At what age did you or will you let kids run free

When they can pay for their AP's

Sitting on Pooh's pot

• :)

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I cant answer this honestly. Im paranoid with my kids (who are still small) and Im pretty sure I always will be. I want to say 16+ but who knows. Maybe when they are old enough to get themselves to the park on their own.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Drunk On Disney!

I am 13 and do it all the time

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    My kids are far too young for me to worry about this yet, but my nieces are 8 and 10 and ask to go off on their own and I dont let them.
    They're not your kids, but you are responsible for them, so I wouldn't let them out of your sight if I were you.

On their own? 16. With their friends? 12. My son (12) recently went with a group of school kids and chaperones. He was apparently with some group of kids the whole day, had my cell phone and the number of the chaperone.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    I cant answer this honestly. Im paranoid with my kids (who are still small) and Im pretty sure I always will be. I want to say 16+ but who knows. Maybe when they are old enough to get themselves to the park on their own.
    Thats what I am thinking, my kids are only 1 and 3 right now so I am a long way off, but I have friends with older kids (13 and 15) and they run the park on their own all the time (they are very good kids). Its just not he kids I worry about, and I know DL is safe, I am just paranoid.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsplash View Post
    I am 13 and do it all the time
    Shouldnt you be at school?

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    Thats what I am thinking, my kids are only 1 and 3 right now so I am a long way off, but I have friends with older kids (13 and 15) and they run the park on their own all the time (they are very good kids). Its just not he kids I worry about, and I know DL is safe, I am just paranoid.
    When I was 14, I was in the park with the YMCA on a field trip and we were able to go off on our own. This was before DTD and DCA as well. Who knows. When my kids hit 14, I might say its ok. For right now, Ill say I dont know.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

With friends I believe it was 12 but alone probably around 14 or 15, but that was during the 80's when you didn't have to worry so much about child abductions.

Now, my 11 yr old asks but I don't let her, I just don't feel comfortable about it.

• 2 ifidibee and beyond!

2 Minutes from the parking structure, 30 minutes from the main gate!

I think I was about 13 when my parents let me and a friend go it alone. My daughter is only 4, so I have a while before I have to worry about that too, but she is already so comfortable in the park because we go so much that I could see letting her go a bit sooner than that. We took some nieces and nephews to the park last June and they ranges from 11-15, and we tried to get them to go on their own, but they wouldn't leave us for very long!
    "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." - Walt Disney

• That Guy

I figure when my kids learn how to pick the lock in the closet, and they get out, then they have earned running around DLR.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

First time I was off with just friends, I was 14 for my 8th grade trip. I figure that as long as you guys meet up at certain times and either have cell phones or the walkie talkie radios then it's okay (if they know their way around the place).

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

I let my daughter and her friend go off by themselves for a couple of hours by themselves when they were 12. We knew where they were headed, had a designated meeting place and time, and they did have a cell phone which I think makes all the difference.

I went with a church youth group (14 yrs old?) and we were free to roam.

I think as long as you're still in the Park with the kids it's cool. Also, the maturity of the child(ren) matters.
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Comin' at ya!

My parents started letting me free when going with friends like 3 or 4 years ago. I think I would let my kids go free as soon as I know they are responible and won't cause trouble and can handle themselves. I hate when I see these 7 or 8 year olds running free through the park...Running into the people, badmouthing things, being super loud...
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

My grandmother starting taking me when I was 7. When I was about 9 she would let me go to the Penny Arcade while she listened to the Big Band stuff I hated (and now love). I'd keep checking in with her. I think I was 13 or 14 when she let me go in the early mornings by myself.

That was ages ago. We often talk about how if those summer trips were happening now that my little forays into independence wouldn't happen at 9.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast