The next BIG Thing

I am very curious to know what the next big thing will be in terms of ride Breakthrough technology in the Disney Parks. I am sure there are plenty of others out there that are just begging to find out too!

I just found this great recent interview with Tony Baxter at www.fabsfaves.com - this part really caught my attention:

"Tony's working on something I can describe as "huge". I don't know exactly what it is, but he does allow me this much: "It's the next breakthrough in ride technology. Star Tours was the first simulator, then we said 'What's next?' and did Indy, which is enhanced motion vehicles, and for a while we've been asking 'What's next?' -we found it. I'm knee deep into that one."

"If we're able to pull off what we've done on our tests, it is truly going to be a breakthrough in ride technology." WOW!!!

He said the challenge is figuring out how to "industrialize" the technology to meet guest demands, to have this vehicle - yes, it's a RIDE! - that gets loaded every 15 seconds."

Well I am totally at a loss on this one but hoping beyond hope that this new technology is being considered for a future DL attraction, whatever it is. Heck, I'll be happy even if it go's in DCA!

Any thoughts or ideas as to what it might be???

the incredibles

Yeap. I heard that rumour a while back but I heard of a couple of different types of technologies that were apparently being thrown about at that time - one of em was vertical tracks (like an elevator) on a wrap around track along the base. The carriage was attached by like an industrial Robot. Sounded all very expensive. does anyone have a link to somewhere that shows a picture? I think it was demonstrated at a recent IAPPA conferance.

I've seen this referred to several places as possible new technology

http://www.robocoaster.com/english/index2.html
    Always remember the Disney Magic!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

New technology is great and everything but I wish that something I like to call "story" would come first. Figure out what story you want to tell then come up with some sort of contraption to move people thru the story.....lately it seems that the contraption is thougt of first then the story is thrown together as an afterthought.....
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

New technology is great and everything but I wish that something I like to call "story" would come first. Figure out what story you want to tell then come up with some sort of contraption to move people thru the story.....lately it seems that the contraption is thougt of first then the story is thrown together as an afterthought.....
    I would agree whole heartedly, and would add that not everyone can [physically] do all the new high tech stuff and hopefully Imagineering remembers that as well. "Family fun" is what I think of. I want to be able to enjoy things with my family, and not watch the teens go on something that I either can't or won't go on. Pirates, Haunted, Tiki, continue to draw them in because of great technology but even more importantly, good story line.

• Minion FOREVER!

The rumor that I have heard is to combination of the robocoaster tech with
    a moving platform. This scoops all the parks that are already implementing
    a "dialable" but standalone robocoaster tech in front of a movie screen.
    (like Legoland). It's "dialable" because the degree of "thrill" can be programmed in.
    It won't be a complete "all ages" ride, but should be able to accompany "almost"
    everyone. Probably like Soarin'.

Anyway, mostly rumor mixed w/ my conjectures. :-)

True but it is always good to have a balance of Family attractions as well as unique thrills. Even so it has been quite a long time since an E ticket attraction emerged that hasn't been physically thrilling.

Mind you, I think Disney's standard of E Thrills are mild in comparison to most places - The Splash / Indy scale of thrills to me is a good level for DL

Mind you, I think Disney's standard of E Thrills are mild in comparison to most places - The Splash / Indy scale of thrills to me is a good level for DL
    Agreed again. And I know there are people that would enjoy that robocoaster type ride, but personally between my back and motion sickness, those would make that very unappealing. As long as a balance is maintained I think that's great. Indy and Splash are both wonderful "E" tickets...

It's "dialable" because the degree of "thrill" can be programmed in.
    It won't be a complete "all ages" ride, but should be able to accompany "almost"
    everyone. Probably like Soarin'.
    Now that's a really good idea. Not always possible, but where it is, would at least make it more controllable for the guest.

• Rainicorn.

Hmm. I think you can opt not to ride it at all, like other rides at DL. I'm not saying I'm for technology over story, but maybe Disneyland needs a little "thrill" as long as it's not straying off too far from the current E-tickets. I know a bunch of people who get sick from Matterhorn, Splash and even BTMRR... refuse to ride on these.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    The rumor that I have heard is to combination of the robocoaster tech with
    a moving platform. This scoops all the parks that are already implementing
    a "dialable" but standalone robocoaster tech in front of a movie screen.
    (like Legoland). It's "dialable" because the degree of "thrill" can be programmed in.

Anyway, mostly rumor mixed w/ my conjectures. :-)
    This sounds like the one I heard too! The artwork for the concept that I saw a few months back showed a series of scenes placed like a building with multiple rooms and floors. The cars would move up and down on a vertical track and then horizontally around the show building. The attached carriage was a robotic arm that could allow for the carriage to be thrusted in and out of rooms & turned in practically any conceivable direction and programmed at a range of speeds (fast & slow).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Interesting, but sounds like a high potential for "protein spills."
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Interesting, but sounds like a high potential for "protein spills."
    I don't think it'd be much worse than Mission: Space in Epcot. Personally I think it would be a lot of fun and has potential. Keeping in mind, I've never been on Mission: Space and I'm tentative to go on it even.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888