Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: How many MC's, here, have been on.........

I have. Many, many times. Loved it and miss it so much. Especially when I have to walk by the atrocity know at Innoventions.

• We wants the Redhead

I was on it many times as a child. I also miss it. I would have loved my kids experienced it.
    Janet
    John 3:16

• GO DBACKS!!

Just chiming in that I miss that ride a lot, as well as Adventure Thru Inner Space.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Mousketeer

I guess I am also old enough to have ridden it. My favorite part was progresss city. That model always fascinated me.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I loved COP. My first time seeing it was in 1973. Of course, I loved "America Sings" also. I'd love to see both of those come back in some form, along with Bear Country Jamboree.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Brrr...its cold out there

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Not I... that was before my Disneyland Time!
    Me Too.....I was not able to go on it at Disneyland. AND...I just went on it for the first time last year when I was in WDW.

• The one, the only...

As a child I went on the original COP several times, so my memories are colored as a child would see them. There were many things that made the experience special.

First, when one walked into the theater there was a wall of decorative light that changed color in sync the music that was playing. It really was innovative since nothing like that was seen before, stars of light flashing on and off to the music in blue, red, green, gold and purple.

Second, of course, was the moving theater. As a kid I loved that idea that we were going around for the show.

Third, the show itself had that theme song, "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow." It was very upbeat and lifted your spirits.

Fourth, at the end of the show. WE GOT TO GO ON STAGE! We existed from the theater to the stage up escalators. As a kid the chance to go on stage was fun in itself.

Finally, we got to go to the giant model of the EPCOT city. It was amazingly big with all the traffic really moving. Even planes were seen to take off from the model. As a kid, it was just amazing.

So the whole experience was something that the whole family could enjoy. The current version of COP is nice, but now is more a museum piece than the true wonder that the original ride was.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Disney Fa View Post
    My father had the privilege of visiting the ORIGINAL attraction at the 1964 NY World's Fair. He still talks about how awesome all of the Disney attraction were and how they were the talk of the fair.

We've had the chance to relive them throught the Extinct Attraction Club DVD's and they've brought back a lot of memories.

I have only been to the one at WDW. I still love the show...but you are correct....Rex Allen was the man...Literally.

How lucky for him to have ridden it at the '64 World's Fair.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing the show in person and I have no memory of America Sings since I was 5 the last summer it was open and we were there. The one and only piece of optimism of Disneyland's Innoventions is they keep the rotating base maintained and "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" is the theme song of Innoventions.

WDW has the only Carousel Theatre since DL's became Innoventions and the building that housed Tokyo's became Buzz. I've seen video of Tokyo's Meet the World. It was about a pair of children who meet a crane. The crane takes everyone on a trip through time to important events in Japanese history. It used animatronics (the crane, the two children, and the historical figures). There were animated sequences as well as live action sequences (like when the kids meet the crane on the beach as well as general background video). You can download the video and unzip it here http://www.jtcent.com/disneyland/tomorrow/tommtw.html His site has some interesting stuff.

Sigh. Only one carousel theatre operates as a carousel theatre.

• Hedonist

Me - and as much as I loved it, my favorite part was always the end, where you went up the escalator to see the model of Progress City - that's where I was going to live in the future. When I go to WDW I like to ride the TTA just to catch a glimpse of it's remains.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by General You View Post
    Me - and as much as I loved it, my favorite part was always the end, where you went up the escalator to see the model of Progress City - that's where I was going to live in the future. When I go to WDW I like to ride the TTA just to catch a glimpse of it's remains.

I've always wondered what it was like to see the model from the People Mover.

• Eeyore smiling

I am so glad this thread was started. I had gone to DL's many times. I have only been to WDW 1x in 1998, it really bothered me that it was not identical to DL, but I could not rectify the differences.
    Mystery has been solved!
    Thanks everyone.
    And, yes, I too, miss it as well as America Sings.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post

First, when one walked into the theater there was a wall of decorative light that changed color in sync the music that was playing. It really was innovative since nothing like that was seen before, stars of light flashing on and off to the music in blue, red, green, gold and purple.

Second, of course, was the moving theater. As a kid I loved that idea that we were going around for the show.

Third, the show itself had that theme song, "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow." It was very upbeat and lifted your spirits.

Fourth, at the end of the show. WE GOT TO GO ON STAGE! We existed from the theater to the stage up escalators. As a kid the chance to go on stage was fun in itself.

Finally, we got to go to the giant model of the EPCOT city. It was amazingly big with all the traffic really moving. Even planes were seen to take off from the model. As a kid, it was just amazing.
    you have captured each and every amazing detail perfectly. the very unique experience of exiting the theatre by stepping UP onto the stage was ingenious - and then, to discover a speedramp on the second floor that slowly gave each Guest a glimpse of Walt Disney's imagination of "Progress City", lit only by blacklight, perfectly wrapped up the theme of "The World of Tomorrow". and that long slow exit down the exterior building ramp slowly brought us back to what was then the BEST Tomorrowland EVER!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Been there, Miss that. Never got to see the "new" COP at WDW, while we were there it was closed.

Fact: The Sherman Brothers wrote "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" anthem specifically for Walt, and modified it slightly to work for the COP.

Just think about the chorus "Man had a dream, and that's the start, He followed his dream with mind and heart. And when it becomes a reality, it's a dream come true for you and me.." They were talking about one particular man.

And Progress City was what EPCOT was originally supposed to be. Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. Think "Celebrity" but on a much grander scale. They had the land in Florida set aside to do it, but when Walt passed they lost their nerve.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    And Progress City was what EPCOT was originally supposed to be. Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. Think "Celebrity" but on a much grander scale.
    I believe you mean "Celebration", Bruce.

And include me as one of those who was lucky enough to ride the DL original. Yes, it was awesome.
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I went on when I was little. I wish I remember more of it then I do. I don't really remember the model city. Either it wasn't really that impressive or I never went up there.

In any case, America Sings was a great show! Too bad that's gone too!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast