Does Anyone Know Anything about Walt Disney Considering a "California Living" Park?

Frumious Boojum mentioned the following in this thread: The Numbers Man and the Magic Kingdom.

I've also heard it reveals some interesting facts, too, like who's partially to blame for California Adventure. According to the book, there's a small mention that Walt was considering a "California Living" second gate.
    Does anyone know more about Walt Disney's version of California Adventure?

• Banned User

Re: Does Anyone Know Anything about Walt Disney Considering a "California Living" Par

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Frumious Boojum mentioned the following in this thread: The Numbers Man and the Magic Kingdom.

Does anyone know more about Walt Disney's version of California Adventure?
    HA! The cynical side of me says the Disney buffoons who were responsible for the mess that is DCA made up some revisionist history to lay some historical blame at Walt's feet in order to make their own ineptness seem less.
    Last edited by NickCharles; 02-10-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Re: Does Anyone Know Anything about Walt Disney Considering a "California Living" Par

It was an early 1960's idea Walt had for the Disneyland parking lot. There's a quote from Walt about it being where "California plays host to its guests" or something like that. It was mentioned in a book on Walt and/or Disney, but I can't remember which one right now.

It was an idea that got very little traction in the early 1960's, and was sidetracked and then abandoned completely by the New York World's Fair pavilions and work on EPCOT and the Florida Project. But for a brief time in the early 1960's, Walt considered it as an option.

• Gay Man

You're not refering to the Mineral King resort plans, perhaps?

I know that Walt Disney referred to Disneyland as a place "for California to be at home" and for California "to host its guests". But, he was simply describing the way The Magic Kingdom would eventually relate to residents of the host region.

I find it interesting that he could have even considered a second gate since, if true, it would be the only other theme park concept, besides The Magic Kingdom, that he is personally responsible for devising.

• Banned User

Even if Walt was planning a theme park about California I doubt DCA planners knew anything about it. They were too caught up in creating the ultimate mall.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I am currently reading Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination and ran across a small sentence that may be the source of this story. At this point in the book, Walt Disney is looking at projects outside Disneyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Walt Disney" Page 573
    A developer in Monterey, California, asked if Walt would consider erecting a Vacation Village with an amusement park on an Early California theme. (Walt actually visited the area one weekend.)